Crashing after Step 4 - 02

Siltafiir

Hello,

I've followed the instructions for the SSE Anniversary Edition carefully (https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:2.0.0), the version I have. After installing the mods from Step 4 - 02 (Extenders), I tested the build by launching with SKSE, and it immediately crashed. I tried a couple more times before going back over the instructions, starting with the system setup guide. I haven't been able to find any step that I missed, and whatever I've been able to check in my build looks correct. 

Prior to adding any of the Step 4 - 02 Extenders, the game launched as normal from Steam. I launched in order to restore the Creation Club DLC, as per the "Restore Original Masters" section in Step 3.

I went ahead and disabled every mod in the left pane, including the Cleaned Vanilla Masters, so that only the vanilla plugins were enabled. I then tried launching through Mod Organizer 2 using the Skyrim SSE launcher (not SKSE). It still CTD'd immediately. Launching the game through Steam still works fine.

I've attached my latest crash log. I'm afraid I don't know how to read these, but after several failed attempts to launch the game I see there's an identical line at the top of every crash log:

Unhandled exception "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF75A7AD6C4 SkyrimSE.exe+0DAD6C4

I went ahead and searched the forum for "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" and found several threads that mention it, but none of them have run into the problem at after Step 4 - 02. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

crash-2022-06-28-03-33-37.log

I went ahead and started over with a clean install, and it worked. My best guess as to the problem is that there was some kind of glitch when I installed Steam. the "steamapps" folder wasn't in the "Steam" directory, but directly in the "Games" directory I'd created. Not sure how that happened since Steam doesn't let you change its install destination, but when I reinstalled it the path to the game directory was corrected. 

The only other difference I could find is that my first time through I really did not understand the SSE Display Tweaks instructions:

1. Double-click on the mod in the MO left pane and ensure the following in SSEDisplayTweaks.ini
    • PC has NVIDIA G-SYNC or AMD Freesync video card AND monitor support, set each frame limit (FPS cap) to:
      [monitor refresh rate] - 3 (e.g., 144 Hz monitor should have 141 limit)
    • PC does NOT have NVIDIA G-SYNC or AMD Freesync video card OR monitor support, set each frame limit (FPS cap) to:
      [monitor refresh rate] - 1 (e.g., 60 Hz monitor should have 59 limit)

I read the "-" as a dash, not a minus sign, and thought the instructions were to put 3 or 1 in the .ini file, not 141 or 59. It seemed weird but I was trying to follow the instructions to the letter and figured there was a good reason for it. I think it might be more helpful if the "(e.g., 144 Hz monitor should have 141 limit)" were really explicitly spelled out:

... For example, if you have a 144 Hz monitor, your .ini file should read

[Render]
FramerateLimit=141
UIFramerateLimit=141

I'm sure most people get it, but there might be one or two people like me who just don't understand.

Cheers

Edited by Siltafiir

You may want to revisit Steam setup in Step 1 - System Setup Guide to be certain that Steam is in the correct path. Steam game path should be under Steam, not the reverse. You also may have had an unwanted DLL in the game directory or a corrupt file. I assume when you say "start over" you also mean installing/validating the game files? ... if you mean the "Games" folder as instructed in the guide, then disregard.

It's also possible that you had a corrupt or otherwise incorrect copy of one of the Extenders, but if you placed a 1 or a 3 in the frameLimit, this could have cause the issue.

I will clarify the SSE Display tweaks instruction to make it more obvious it's a minus and not a dash.

The directory is correct now, it's in ...\Games\Steam\steamapps\common. Previously it was in Games\steamapps\common. Yeah I started over by deleting everything Skyrim-related from the documents folder, uninstalling Steam and uninstalling Mod Organizer. 

• Like 1