Cornelius2022

Lanterns of Skyrim & Load Order

hello

i'm in the last leg of installing the LE guide, and LOOT places the lanterns of skyrim esm after hearthfires esm and before dragonborn esm and the unofficial skyrim legendary edition patch. that doesn't seem to be right at all?

LOOT also suggests a third party dawnguard patch.

any suggestions? should i create a LOOT rule for the placement of lanterns esm?

thanks in advance

That seems wrong to me. I haven't run LE for years though, so it may be fine. They are all ESM.

If you are using the Sort button in Mod Organizer, install and run the latest version of LOOT to see if it sorts correctly. I agree this is very strange. I've never  seen LOOT sort plugins between the vanilla masters before.

Just to cover all bases, you're using this as the argument to LOOT right?

--game="Skyrim"

Posted (edited)

thank you both

Greg, yes, the argument was missing, i remember adding it, but seem to have missed to 'apply' it. new sorting with the added argument didn't change the load order though. i am attaching my current load order. i am now just before step 5 in the guide (LOD) and skyrim loads fine with a new game into the alternate start cell

thank you for any further comments you have on this

Spoiler

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
UnlimitedBookshelves.esp
SimpleChildren.esp
WM Flora Fixes.esp
FarmhouseChimneys.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
BetterQuestObjectives.esp
FISS.esp
SkyUI.esp
STEP DLC Optimized Textures - Standard.esp
STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures - Standard.esp
Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB - Flame Atronach Fix.esp
XPMSE.esp
RelightingSkyrim_Legendary.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul.esp
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Luminosity Lighting Overhaul.esp
Book Covers Skyrim.esp
Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin.esp
SkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.esp
Better Dynamic Ash.esp
Realistic Boat Bobbing.esp
DawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
SRG Enhanced Trees Activator.esp
Footprints.esp
ClavicusArgonianMasque.esp
RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Sorted.esp
ORM-Arvak.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
BlendedRoads.esp
BWS.esp
DragonShoutVoice.esp
AI Overhaul.esp
hearthfireextended.esp
Point The Way.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
WetandCold.esp
AOS.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main LITE.esp
IHSS.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueOrcish&DaedricWeapons.esp
ADS.esp
Beards.esp
Brows.esp
NB-Scars.esp
VWA_VanillaWarpaintsAbsolution.esp
WSCO - OcciFemaleVNL.esp
Hunters Not Bandits.esp
Waterbreathing Breathless Emerge.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
Complete Crafting_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
Oblivion Gates v3 - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
Bring Out Your Dead - Legendary Edition.esp
Elemental_Staffs.esp
SkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.esp
TradeBarter.esp
Helarchen Creek.esp
TimingIsEverything.esp
Butterflies Unchained.esp
Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
FacegenForKids.esp
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp
Nausicaa's Tweaker.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
NotSoFast-MainQuest.esp
DSAMG - Greybeard Fix.esp
DSAMG - Miraak Music Fixes.esp
TavernAIFix.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
DD_Dawnguard Additions.esp
DD_Dragonborn Additions.esp
Disease Descriptions.esp
GoOnAhead.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
SMDropLitTorch.esp
Torches Ignite Oil - Shock Edition.esp
Traps Make Noise.esp
Blacksmith Chests.esp
EmbersHD.esp
ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp
PilgrimsDelight.esp
Smelter_Riften & Solitude.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
RBB - Realistic Water Two.esp
ESFCompanions.esp
NotSoFast-MageGuild.esp
Lock Overhaul.esp
Stealth Skills Rebalanced_COMPLETE.esp
imp_helm_legend.esp
Weapons & Armor_DragonPriestMasks.esp
Smithing Perks Overhaul_Remade.esp
iHUD.esp
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
AHZmoreHUD.esp
RaceMenu.esp
ViewableFactionRanksBothDLC.esp
FarmhouseChimneysCRF.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
FarmhouseChimneysHelarchenCreek.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
Vivid Weathers.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
Vivid Weathers - Extended Snow.esp
WondersofWeather.esp
FNIS.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Step SkyrimLE - CR Patch.esp
FarmhouseChimneysLAL.esp
Step SkyrimLE - L&W Patch.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

loadorder.txt

Edited by Cornelius2022

Posted (edited)

Addendum:

In the current LOOT (0.18.3) masterlist there is a 'load after Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm' rule for the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch, which seems to explain the odd placement of both plugins

Still unsure how to proceed, given the other oddities in my load order

Edited by Cornelius2022

What are the other oddities in your load order and what is bothering you exactly?

If Dragonborn.esm is not a master of LoS and if there are no conflicts between them (likely if LoS doesn't cover Solstheim), then they can go in any order relative to each other.

There must be very good reasons for LOOT to sort LoS before USLEEP. Hypothesis: LoS would otherwise overwrite USLEEP and forward bad vanilla bugs that are fixed by USLEEP. There are no 3rd-party bugfix or USLEEP-compatibility patches available for LoS because it's no longer supported and it has closed permissions. So the only option is to load USLEEP after LoS.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the comment, Mousetick

The feeling of 'odd' comes from comparing this latest installation to me last installing Skyrim & STEP five years ago

Now i followed LOOT's suggestions, except for cleaning 'Guard Dialogue Overhaul' and 'Complete Crafting Overhaul'. Last night i generated all LOD, started a new game, which seemed to start out fine from 'Alternate Start' into the wilderness, aside from a strange audio bug when outside, like feet continuously moving in place, which didn't relate to my own movement. Still need to check MCM settings and all my surroundings also

Edited by Cornelius2022

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sheson
      This is a beta of [FNV|FO3|FO4|FO4VR|TES5|SSE|TES5VR|ENDERAL|ENDERALSE]LODGen/Edit with terrain LOD meshes and textures generation.
      This is for experienced mod authors and users that know how to use xEdit, xLODGen or DynDOLOD already.
      Installation and Setup
      Download
      xLODGen beta 94 - based on 4.1.4b
      Unzip into a dedicated folder outside of any Steam, game or mod manager folders or special Windows folders like Program Files.
      Rename xLODGen.exe to [game mode]LODGen.exe (TES5LODGen.exe for example) or start with command line parameter -fnv, -fo3, -fo4, -fo4vr, -tes5, tes5vr, -sse, -enderal, -enderalse
      Use -o:"c:\OutputPath\" command line parameter to change where files are generated to, default is the game folder.
      Do not generate into any game or any mod manager folders.
      Requirements
      Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 - Required by LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe and Texconv.exe/Texconvx64.exe. Get matching platform x86/x64 depending on which xLODGen.exe (x86) or xLODGenx64.exe (x64) is used.
      RTFM and Share Results
      See the included Skyrim-Occlusion-Readme.txt for a brief explanation of the Skyrim TVDT Occlusion data generation. Read the hints that are shown when the mouse pointer rests on a setting. Ask specific questions or give feedback in the dedicated Skyrim TVDT - Occlusion Data thread.
      See the included Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt for a brief explanation of the settings for terrain LOD generation. Read the hints that are shown when the mouse pointer rests on a setting. Ask specific questions about terrain LOD in this thread for a more in-depth explanation if required and share feedback (with screenshots) about results or problems.
      These tools generate LOD meshes and textures "exactly" like CK, but not like the meshes and textures which are shipping with the games (they are often manually edited).
      However, these tools provide more options and higher resolutions (use the x64 version if there are memory errors because you believe you require 4k or higher) and can be updated to add more useful features and options.
      I did some testing in the different games, but finding the best combinations of options and settings requires lots of testing and are a matter of personal opinion and which game is used, the load order, mods, even different worldspaces probably.
      That means, I am only able to give generic guidelines and hints to send you off to find and test for yourself and share your results. My main interested is that generations works correctly and without problems for now.
      Check out the thread xLODGen Terrain Settings Compare. Also refer to any modding guide which has a list of relevant mods close to your load order.
      The object and tree LOD generation is the same as the current versions of xEdit / xLODGen. Refer to their respective descriptions and explanations.
      Obviously, users of Skryim/Enderal/Skyrim SE/Skyrim VR/EnderalSE continue to use the easier and more comprehensive DynDOLOD for drastically improved object and tree LOD generation and only use xLODGen for terrain LOD (and maybe Occlusion) generation.
      First Time
      Here are suggestion to start without going crazy and that should be quick enough to generate:
      Set quality of meshes for LOD4 to 5 and then +5 for each next level. Or just set levels 8/16/32 to 10.
      Check protect cell borders (yes it fixes the ugly terrain drops at outer cell borders that still exist in Fallout 4).
      Use the max vertices setting only if you want to hard limit max file size.
      In Skyrim Special Edition or Skyrim VR, if you notice terrain briefly flickering when new areas are loading in, set [Display] bEnableLandFade=0 in Skyrim.INI
      Set Optimize Unseen to off for LOD4 for first generation. Start experimenting with a value of 550 with a quality setting of 10 or lower for LOD32 (used for map) and compare coastlines and file size to other settings.
      To quickly generate terrain LOD meshes just for the map, check only terrain LOD Meshes, check the Specific Chunk checkbox and set drop down to 32. Leave SW fields empty for complete map or set SW cell coordinates to same values as a *.btr filename to test a specific area with lots of water, river etc.
      Set texture sizes to 512 for a start. Larger sizes and large world spaces will take a considerable time (like 15 to 30 minutes or more easily). Each higher resolution means quadruple the work.
      Use DXT1 for diffuse and 565 (DXT1 if on Windows 7) for normal maps. If generating for Skyrim Special Edition and VRAM is not of concern use BC7. Uncheck mipmaps, raise steepness and Bake normal maps.
      For now, leave the Brightness, Contrast and Gamma at 0 and 1.0 respectively. It seems that only Skyrim CK and Skyrim SE CK are manipulating the intensity of the textures to adjust for the noise.dds and the god awful "improved" snow shader of Skyrim SE (just turn that thing off, really). If textures seem too dark in the game, brighten the noise.dds instead or vice versa. That way you can get perfectly matching LOD textures that look just like the textures in the loaded cells. For Skyrim a good average color of the noise texture seems to be around #C0. See below for a couple noise texture downloads.
      If you want to test larger texture sizes, use the chunk option to limit the number of textures that need to be generated. For example, check [x] Specific chunk, leave the drop down empty and set WS to the lower left cell coordinate of an 32x32 area, like 0, 0. It will then generate all textures up to 31,31. Not all worldspaces have their origin at 0,0 so you will have to check already generated meshes/texture filenames for their lower left coordinates.
      Questions and Feedback
      Obliviously anything related to terrain LOD should be posted in this thread.
      Posts related to Occlusion should be made here.
      Recommended Optionals
      TES5-Terrain-Tamriel.esm (Mega), SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm (Mega)
      TES5-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm (Mega), SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm (Mega) - These extend the sea of ghost further to the north (see screenshots)
      SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Full-Extend.esm (Mega) - Entire map from -96,-96 to 95,96 with northern ocean extension. Useful for mod authors.
      Put in game data folder obviously. Adds back terrain for Skyrim (Tamriel worldspace) at the outer edges so there is no missing terrain meshes/textures when generating terrain LOD for Skyrim.
      Load as early with lowest priority as possible, so that any other plugins overwriting or adding land records or cells with the same coordinates take precedence.
      Only required to be loaded when generating terrain LOD. No harm done when loaded in-game but typically the player can not get close to these areas. There are no effects outside the far away added cells.
      Noise
      Single color flat noise, Adjusted vanilla noise, HD Terrain Noise Texture SE
      Examples for Skyrim. Install to game folder like any other texture mod. The noise texture is applied in-game on top of terrain LOD textures, so no effect for LOD generation.
      Only the red channel is used in case the textures is not a grey channel format. MipMaps are ignored. The textures is tiled 3x3 per LOD quad, e.g. for LOD level 4, the noise texture is repeated 3 times to cover 4 cells, for LOD level 8, the noise texture is repeated 3 times to cover 8 cells and so on.
      Test-Terrain-Tamriel.7z
      For testing terrain LOD distances. Plain color terrain LOD textures for Tamriel with coordinates for every LOD quad. Green for LOD 4, yellow for LOD8, blue for LOD 16 and red for LOD 32.
    • By Morath
      ( Apologies in advance if this is maybe the wrong place to post, if so please point me towards the correct place. But since the issue is with the 3.0.0 STEP of LE, I though this could be correct )

After a couple of years of absence I have started to fiddle around with Skyrim (still with LE) again. I've followed the 3.0.0 STEP Guide and with only minor hiccups arrived at a nicely looking result which seems to work like a charm, kudos and thanks to all on whose shoulders I am standing now .

However, there is one issue now - I would like to add a couple of other mods "on top" now and one of them refuses to work when "Non-essential Children" (called NEC from now on) is installed. Now, my heart is not set on NEC, I would happily remove it from the load order, but the problem is that it is a "red" mod, that the Step CR patch depends upon :-/

I've  searched on the Forum and there was some talk about a year ago about removing NEC from the STEP 3.0.0 guide for LE, but it seems that hasn't happened yet, not sure if that is still on the table. I've found a similar issue in a STEP SE Thread, where someone asked about removing "Live another live" and according to an answer from someone there it would be possible to remove the CR patch dependency on LAL by using XEdit on the CR patch.

Now I have a little modding experience, but I know next to nothing about XEdit, though I would be willing to dig into that topic and learn it and try to modify the CR patch on my own to try to remove the dependency to NEC. Before I start with that however I would kindly ask if someone more knowledgeable than me could give me a quick estimate about the feasibility of this, whether it
      a) should be trivial to do and/or should not have any side effects or
      b) is somewhat tricky and/or might cause problems in the long run or
      c) is extremely complex to implement or even not possible at all because the CR patch is  "too tightly coupled" with NEC

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    • By whitewolf87
      I am reinstalling STEP for Skyrim: LE. It's been a few years since I've done this, but have managed to creek it out in the past.
      When I get to the step of tool setup, everything seems to have immediately fallen apart.
      "Some tools will have been auto-detected and added"
      They are not. None of them are. I've combed backwards to find out where I made a horrendous misstep. The only thing that I can think of is that it somehow has something to do with the fact that my "Modding" folder is not nested under a "Games" folder against the suggested file structure. The reason for this is that when I got this new PC I had already installed Steam in it's own folder to avoid any UAC weirdness when modding any game at all. Maybe it doesn't mean anything and I can safely just add them manually and if that's the case, fine. However, I want to be sure before I dig myself too deep.
      However, the real difficulty is when I proceed to step 6.
      "6. Tick the Create files in mod instead of overwrite box. Select the xEdit Output mod from the drop-down."
      I do not have the xEdit Output mod in the drop-down. Nothing's in the drop-down. I've combed back over the instructions for SkyrimLE and the System Setup Guide to try and figure out what I missed, and I can't find it.
      What in God's name am I doing wrong?