Forsworn and Vampire Thralls not hostile

Iskierka

Question

I've been having this problem for a throughout my current save. Whenever I encounter a vampire dungeon/cave with thralls, some or all of the thralls will be non-hostile. For the Forsworn,  there are a few locations where the Forsworn are not hostile such as Fort Sungard. I haven't started the No One Escapes Cidhna Mine quest, so that wouldn't have an effect on the issue. Anyone know of a fix for this?

I started as a Warlock's Thrall from Alternate Start. Could that have put me in a faction that is friendly to thralls and Forsworn? I've attached the list of factions I belong to according to the console.

factions 1.PNG

factions 2.PNG

9 answers to this question

I figured it out. I forgot I had Purist's Vanilla Patch installed which was causing these issues. I noticed the mod was altering some faction stuff according to the console information. Disabling the mod has so far made the Forsworn hostile again. Haven't encountered any vampire thralls yet but I assume that is fixed as well.

Sorry again for neglecting to mention I had extra mods enabled and thanks for helping.

Vampire Thralls are unaggressive ("attacks nobody unless provoked") and neutral towards the player by default. They are allied with vampires who are aggressive ("attacks enemies on sight") and hostile to the player. Vampire Thralls only react to the player in the presence of vampires in combat. There are several instances in the game where you'll encounter isolated Vampire Thralls, away from vampires, who won't react unless you attack them first. This is normal, nothing's broken and no fix is necessary. It's just the game telling you: "you're in a vampire lair, be on your guard, you're likely to encounter vampires further on".

For the Forsworn, can you be more specific? Can you interact/talk to the Forsworn at Fort Sungard for example?

AFAIK the Warlock Thrall start doesn't change the player's faction compared to a vanilla start. It only changes the starting location/scenario/equipment and player's backstory (for RP purpose).

There are 3 ASLAL starts that put the player in specific faction, as explained on the mod page:

• Member of a Guild (these are factions you can join in the vanilla game with a vanilla start)
  • Thalmor Agent
  • Penitus Oculatus Agent

The last 2 forcibly remove the player from the specific faction during the starting quest so as not to break the remainder of the game.

For the vampire thralls, those that do not attack will stay passive even if the vampires are attacking me. I would be fighting a vampire and the thralls would just be running around and saying things like "I'm getting out of here". I need to attack them directly to make them hostile. 

When talking to the Forsworn, they just have the generic lines NPC's get if they don't have any unique dialogue. I tried attacking one which made them go hostile and immediately put my weapons away which caused them to stop being aggressive. When looking at this Forsworn's faction list, it says something along the lines of "was attacked by player" or something like that.

1 hour ago, Iskierka said:

When talking to the Forsworn, they just have the generic lines NPC's get if they don't have any unique dialogue.

Well, that's unexpected. Something's definitely wrong. Fort Sungard should be hostile. The only Forsworn who may not be hostile are those at Druadach Redoubt after the Cidhna Mine quest if you sided with Madanach.

If you encounter a small group of Forsworn standing and non-hostile in the Reach, they may be remnants of a bugged random world encounter. See this mod for more details and a fix: WE05 Script Fix.

I have yet to encounter that particular event. Would the fix translate to fixing the problem with Forsworn? The only time I've encountered non-hostile Forsworn and Thralls are in caves, ruins, etc. that they control. I'll give it a try any way.

I feel the problem lies somewhere with my character belonging to a Forsworn friendly faction or a normally Forsworn hostile faction becoming friendly to them. Would you like a copy of my mod list? I did add a few extra mods on top of the STEP guide.

I have yet to encounter that particular event. Would the fix translate to fixing the problem with Forsworn?

Not at all. That mod only fixes a random encounter/event while traveling in the Reach, using spawned NPCs that are supposed to disappear after a while. Like the Stormcloak vs. Imperial soldiers fighting you may have encountered elsewhere, but in this case it's Orcs vs. Forsworn.

I did add a few extra mods on top of the STEP guide.

You should have provided that important detail upfront. So which extra mods did you add? No need to provide the whole mod list.

I'd suggest this simple troubleshooting procedure to narrow down the issue, should only take a few minutes and won't interfere with your current game:

1. Start a new game, create a new character, choose starting scenario.
  2. Sleep, wake up at spawn point. Go to a safe exterior location.
  3. Open console. Enter tmm 1 to reveal all map locations. Close Console.
  4. Save.
  5. Open map and fast travel to Fort Sungard.
  6. See if you are slaughtered or ignored by the Forsworn.
  7. Reload previous save.
  8. Open map and fast travel to Karthspire Camp.
  9. See if you are slaughtered or ignored by the Forsworn, just to confirm it's consistent.
  10. Exit.

Repeat the procedure above with each of these configurations/combinations:

• ASLAL start other than Warlock Thrall, eg. camping in the woods (it's safe).
  • Warlock Thrall ASLAL start.
  • STEP Guide mod list strictly without any extra mods.
  • Your current mod list with extra mods.

If the Forsworn are hostile in every configuration, then something happened at some point somewhere in your current game that will require further investigation.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I had extra mods. The only extra mods I added include a few graphics/aesthetic mods such as a Hearthfire house lighting mod, Smaller Moons, and Open Face Guard Helmets. I installed a few other mods including Khajiit Will Follow, Obscure's College of Winterhold, Choose Your Own Arch-Mage, Winterhold Restored, and Vittoria's Alternate Wedding.

I'll try the steps you mentioned and report back.

Topic moved, as the issue has been revealed as unrelated to the "Step Skyrim SE Guide".

We create our mod-build guides in part to preclude these kinds of issues. When people install random mods on top of our recommended builds, it's no longer supported under the guise of our guides. It's perfectly fine to expand upon our guides, but please realize that requests for support for issues that arise belong under general SSE support ;)