141 FPS with BethINI set to Ultra

Badfrog88

I'm getting consistant FPS between 136 and 141 FPS (mostly 141 FPS) after setting BethINI to Ultra and enabling LOD.  At this point I'm not sure what to do to get my FPS down to the recommended 90-100 range. At the main screen the FPS stays around 59-60.

Also, when the screen changes from the opening screen to Breezehome I get an "VM Overstressed" message that flashes below the FPS counter in the Display Tweaks OSC. This also happens when I use the console to change locations. 

I'm completely lost as to how to fix these. 

2 hours ago, Badfrog88 said:

I'm getting consistant FPS between 136 and 141 FPS (mostly 141 FPS) after setting BethINI to Ultra and enabling LOD.  At this point I'm not sure what to do to get my FPS down to the recommended 90-100 range. At the main screen the FPS stays around 59-60.

If your fps is above 105 after enabling ultra then the guide says you can move forward. Higher than 105 fps means enabling Ultra within bethini and then continuing to STEP 5- LOD. Make sure you followed this part of the performance tuning guide as well. This way you get proper fps reading with LOD and ENB.

Once testing is complete, revert the changes and reapply frame caps:

1. Re-enable A Clear Map of Skyrim and Other Worlds.
  2. Double click SSE Display Tweaks in the MO left pane, select the INI Files tab, and adjust the following settings under the [Render] section:
    • EnableVSync=true
    • FramerateLimit=<previousValue>
  3. If applicable, ensure that G-SYNC or Freesync are properly enabled via NVIDIA Inspector or AMD Adrenalin.
  4. If applicable, ensure that NVIDIA ultra low latency mode (ULLM) or AMD anti-lag are properly enabled via NVIDIA Inspector or AMD Adrenalin.

You already ran all the steps in PArt 5-LOD correct? This includes xLODgen and DYNDLOD. If so and your fps is still high...you can add enb and post processing if you desire. Start with the highest preset and go down if your FPS drops below 65.

3 hours ago, Badfrog88 said:

Also, when the screen changes from the opening screen to Breezehome I get an "VM Overstressed" message that flashes below the FPS counter in the Display Tweaks OSC. This also happens when I use the console to change locations. 

Does this flashing only happen after the initial load into the game? It is normal to occur after loading or changing cells, but it should go away after running around a bit.

Seems like you could be using ENB if you aren't. SSE Display Tweaks sets menu cap at 59-60, so that's why it's lower in menus. If you have a 144 Hz monitor, then you want 141 FPS in game. Otherwise, you have set SSE Display Tweaks settings for the wrong monitor frequency. Take a look at that mod's instructions.

26 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Seems like you could be using ENB if you aren't. SSE Display Tweaks sets menu cap at 59-60, so that's why it's lower in menus. If you have a 144 Hz monitor, then you want 141 FPS in game. Otherwise, you have set SSE Display Tweaks settings for the wrong monitor frequency. Take a look at that mod's instructions.

I'm not sure if my monitor is 144 Hz or not. How would I check?  I don't remember the guide saying anything about different monitor refresh rates. I'll take a look at the instructions as you suggest.

25 minutes ago, Badfrog88 said:

I'm not sure if my monitor is 144 Hz or not. How would I check?  I don't remember the guide saying anything about different monitor refresh rates. I'll take a look at the instructions as you suggest.

Find your model on the monitor somewhere and google it. You can also look in Windows display settings to be sure you have it properly configured. In Windows, click Settings (gear icon) > System > Display > Advanced Display Settings (text link near bottom)

It looks like the instructions for reverting the SSE Display Tweak settings once testing is complete, are incomplete.

They are:

EnableVSync=true
FramerateLimit=<previousValue>

They should be:

EnableVSync=true
EnableTearing=false
FramerateLimit=<previousValue>

EnableTearing needs to be reverted to the previous value (false) as well, in order to fully re-enable VSync.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On the SSE Display Tweaks nexus page under Optional Files it says

For high refresh rate g-sync monitors and fast GPUs/CPUs. Don't use on low end systems.

Since my monitor is only 60 Hz and doesn't have g-sync, should I *not* install this part of the mod?

1 hour ago, Badfrog88 said:

Since my monitor is only 60 Hz and doesn't have g-sync, should I *not* install this part of the mod?

The optional "High Performance" file is simply another version of SSEDisplayTweaks.ini slightly tweaked with different presets than those used in the "normal" version that comes with the main file. It's fine, don't worry about it. The main differences between the "High Performance" and the normal configurations are:

# Refer to the comments inside SSEDisplayTweaks.ini to find out what each setting means

# Normal
MaxFrameLatency=0
FramerateLimitMode=0

# Hi Perf
MaxFrameLatency=1
FramerateLimitMode=1

They may affect input latency which is not really important in Skyrim. You can experiment if you want but I doubt you'd notice any difference. The other differences are insignificant or undesirable.

14 hours ago, Badfrog88 said:

This is normal when starting a new game, changing locations, or sometimes at the beginning of a scripted scene, or after transferring/trading numerous various items from/to inventory. It's an indicator showing the scripting engine is very busy running scripts. It should flash briefly then disappear. If it shows up at random times during gameplay and stays up for longer periods of time, it's an indication that a mod is script-heavy and/or bugged with runaway scripts, which is bad.

If this visual indicator bothers you, you can turn it off with this setting in SSEDisplayTweaks.ini, which is true by default:

OSDWarnVMOverstressed=false

I'd recommend you leave it on however, or at least turn it back on for a while, any time you try mods that are not part of the STEP guide. 

• Thanks 1