Can't find source of missing dependencies in CR patch

20 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

You're right, latest guide under 1.5.97 would work - as long as the OP fulfilled the AE content requirements. Looks like I've led the OP down the wrong path then. Oops :(

I mostly prefer this approach, because it's the approach used for generating LOD grass under AE (i.e., without NGIO support), so the synergy makes sense to me. I have no idea how the CC content plays with the vanilla masters under 1.5.97 though. Update.esp is probably all that changed. Unless something drastic changed (like landscape edits), then I assume it's just some xEdit work.

Soooo, if it were me, I would fully update my AE game and save it into a unique path. Then downgrade a copy of that (less the CC content) and use the concurrent-version approach (which I still have set up on my system BTW) whereby I can easily switch between the two by swapping name strings on my game folders to trick Steam and modding tools like MO.

If I'm not mistaken it sounded like the OP had gone pretty far along the 1.0.0 guide already and was at the point where the CR patch is installed and issues cropped up. So either everything works fine after reverting everything to 1.5.97 and installing the old patch, or not. If not, we can suggest restarting from scratch, but using the current guide instead.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

If I'm not mistaken it sounded like the OP had gone pretty far along the 1.0.0 guide already and was at the point where the CR patch is installed and issues cropped up. So either everything works fine after reverting everything to 1.5.97 and installing the old patch, or not. If not, we can suggest restarting from scratch, but using the current guide instead.

Indeed. The approach and mod lists are like 80% identical I would say.

3 hours ago, Mousetick said:

You're right, latest guide under 1.5.97 would work - as long as the OP fulfilled the AE content requirements. Looks like I've led the OP down the wrong path then. Oops :(

Anyway, here is the old CR patch for the 1.0.0 guide, attached.

Step Patch - Conflict Resolution-31054-1-0-6-1639089888.7z 213.46 kB · 1 download

Thanks for your help, it looks like the old patch worked. Unfortunately, now the Lighting & Weather patch from the Nexus page doesn't work, I assume because it's for the 2.0.0 version as well :/

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

I mostly prefer this approach, because it's the approach used for generating LOD grass under AE (i.e., without NGIO support), so the synergy makes sense to me. I have no idea how the CC content plays with the vanilla masters under 1.5.97 though. Update.esp is probably all that changed. Unless something drastic changed (like landscape edits), then I assume it's just some xEdit work.

Soooo, if it were me, I would fully update my AE game and save it into a unique path. Then downgrade a copy of that (less the CC content) and use the concurrent-version approach (which I still have set up on my system BTW) whereby I can easily switch between the two by swapping name strings on my game folders to trick Steam and modding tools like MO.

Is it possible to install two instances of the Skyrim base game -- one for AE and one back-patched to SE? As I understand it, a lot of mods still aren't compatible with AE, and I'd like to at least have an instance using the 1.5.97 Skyrim.exe so I can run them. How would I go about installing a second copy of Skyrim? The best I can think of is copying the whole current Skyrim directory to a "Skyrim SE" folder outside of my Steam folder, uninstalling and reinstalling the game in Steam, then, in MO2, pointing my first instance to the current (AE) Skyrim.exe in the Steam common folder, and my second instance to the copy of Skyrim.exe in my "Skyrim SE" folder. Am I close/would this work?

1 hour ago, ilct said:

Is it possible to install two instances of the Skyrim base game -- one for AE and one back-patched to SE? As I understand it, a lot of mods still aren't compatible with AE, and I'd like to at least have an instance using the 1.5.97 Skyrim.exe so I can run them. How would I go about installing a second copy of Skyrim? The best I can think of is copying the whole current Skyrim directory to a "Skyrim SE" folder outside of my Steam folder, uninstalling and reinstalling the game in Steam, then, in MO2, pointing my first instance to the current (AE) Skyrim.exe in the Steam common folder, and my second instance to the copy of Skyrim.exe in my "Skyrim SE" folder. Am I close/would this work?

All I did was to copy my entire 1.5.97 "Skyrim Special Edition" Steam folder into "Skyrim Special Edition - SSE" adjacent to the original in Steam path. Then on 11/11/2021, Steam updated the original and left my 1.5.97 alone. All I need to do is rename "Skyrim Special Edition" to "Skyrim Special Edition - SAE" and "Skyrim Special Edition - SSE" back to "Skyrim Special Edition". Steam and all modding tools do not know the difference and work without any config changes outside of my having to switch to a compatible MO instance between the two and turning off Steam auto-updates.

You can essentially do the same thing once you downgrade. I was proactive though and never had to fiddle with the downgrade tool :D

26 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I was proactive though and never had to fiddle with the downgrade tool :D

Unfortunately, I quit Skyrim a while before AE, and if I still have a copy of the old .exe, I don't know where it is :P

All I need to do is rename "Skyrim Special Edition" to "Skyrim Special Edition - SAE" and "Skyrim Special Edition - SSE" back to "Skyrim Special Edition". Steam and all modding tools do not know the difference and work without any config changes outside of my having to switch to a compatible MO instance between the two and turning off Steam auto-updates.

I want to make sure I understand this right. Are you saying you manually rename whichever copy of the Skyrim folder you're using to "Skyrim Special Edition" when you want to use it?

24 minutes ago, ilct said:

Unfortunately, I quit Skyrim a while before AE, and if I still have a copy of the old .exe, I don't know where it is :P

I want to make sure I understand this right. Are you saying you manually rename whichever copy of the Skyrim folder you're using to "Skyrim Special Edition" when you want to use it?

Yes, that's how I do it. Then all tools, including Steam just treat it as usual. You just need to remember to set your BethINI and MO configs to point to the correct MO profile before modding either one after the rename

38 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Yes, that's how I do it. Then all tools, including Steam just treat it as usual. You just need to remember to set your BethINI and MO configs to point to the correct MO profile before modding either one after the rename

Okay. Any idea if I need to uninstall Skyrim from Steam, since I used halgari's downgrade patcher on the existing .exe, or if I can just update Skyrim to the latest 1.6.x version?

34 minutes ago, ilct said:

Okay. Any idea if I need to uninstall Skyrim from Steam, since I used halgari's downgrade patcher on the existing .exe, or if I can just update Skyrim to the latest 1.6.x version?

Once you downgrade, just be sure to strip out any foreign DLLs or other stuff the downgrade patcher leaves behind. then copy this to the adjacent * - SSE folder as described and let Steam validate against the original downgrade copy to give you your AE instance. Steam's manifest file will tell Steam you are all good even if you change the folder names. Just prevent Steam from auto updating while on the 1.5.xx instance.

See this post (note links in the footer of the OP):

• 2 months later...

I doubt it is in perfect shape, but not sure. I moved it into Old Versions, so give it a bit and you should be able to get it I think. Be sure to Check for Errors in xEdit before using it, as it likely has errors due to mod updates that you'll need to fix.