Newbie question, give it a peak.

Get really to roll you eyes, I have newbie questions. 

Well I was all excited, followed all the steps to Performance Testing, until the game crash immediately after startup. Using both the SKSE loader and the regular loader. First thing to test or start over?

How does this guide work if you want to go beyond the mods listed. Main things little CBBE/3BA bodies, more city overhauls, cloths, vampire overhauls, other fun things. Is that a no -no with this guide?

In the past, I've used body mods, armor and clothing, EnaiRim full(includes Sacrosanct) and stuff with it, but this Guide is incredibly plugin heavy and I had to cut back on what I installed because there's just not enough room on the limit to fit a  lot of stuff that isn't an .esl.

I'm sure there's ways around that, but I don't mess with merging.

As for the crashing, I can't help with that, unfortunately.

Edited by Sakiri
Spelling error

8 hours ago, mulliganplummer said:

Get really to roll you eyes, I have newbie questions. 

Well I was all excited, followed all the steps to Performance Testing, until the game crash immediately after startup. Using both the SKSE loader and the regular loader. First thing to test or start over?

How does this guide work if you want to go beyond the mods listed. Main things little CBBE/3BA bodies, more city overhauls, cloths, vampire overhauls, other fun things. Is that a no -no with this guide?

Before you start adding mods that are not included in STEP, first make sure the STEP set up works. The fact that you have a CTD when starting, indicated that something in your setup is conflicting/ missing. So fix that first. Also, once you have installed SKSE64, NEVER use the regular Skyrim loader again. The SKSE loader has functionality that is needed for mods to use.

As for adding mods after STEP is complete and functioning: add the mods you want to use in the appropriate categories. i.e. CBBE in the "Character Appearance" section, City overhauls in either "Models & Textures" (if they only add meshes and textures)  or "Locations" (if adding more like completely new places) etc. In such cases the install order (left panel in MO2) is important. You will have to decide which mods take precedence if there are conflicts/ overwrites (the +/- indications behind the mod name in MO2). Also only add one or a few mods at a time and test if the game still functions. This way, if you run into trouble, you will find out faster which newly added mod is causing the issues.

Lastly, adding more mods will more than likely cause conflicts. To attempt to correct them, you should probably use Wrye Bash to make a "bashed patch" which can/ will correct the conflicts. Read up on how it works. To use, add Wrye Bash to MO2 with the gear icon (like for example SSEEdit) and run it through MO2. Let it load, then scroll down the mod list to the last line "Bashed Patch". Right click on that and select "rebuild bashed patch". Let it does it work and click save when asked. the output will be in your overwrite folder. Turn it into a mod (rightclick the overwrite folder and select "create mod"). Once the bashed patch is created (and activated in the right panel of mo2!), open SSEEdit. Load the complete modlist. When it is finished loading, scroll down the the bashed patch and check all the conflicts, especially the ones in red. You can solve the conflicts by dragging and dropping the functionality you want from the mod you prefer onto the Bashed Patch column. When satisfied with the results, exit SSEEdit and be sure to save the changed batched patch. Also be sure to rerun xLodGen, TexGen and DynDOLOD after adding mods! (safe this for last obviously).

So yeah, as you can see, it is definitely possible to add extra mods to a STEP setup, but it take a bit of (advanced) work. It can be a real daunting process if you are (relatively new) to modding. And it is NOT supported here. STEP is "simply" a modlist to keep the vanilla feel of Skyrim, but improved. So added mods that go beyond "enhanced vanilla" are not supported. Please keep that in mind.

Hope this helps.

Butch is correct. Do not stray beyond the explicit guide instructions and mod list. We don't support any customizations to the guide. Once you have things working with a pure Step install, then you can begin adding your own mods and testing.

How? When? Where? ... all answers are in the guide if you carefully follow the instructions. By the time you finish, you will have learned a few things and will be more apt to tinker.