Jump to content
philosophicalninja

Spinning Circle When Launching SKSE

Recommended Posts

Brand new to the step guides - just completed the SAE guide to the performance check section. When I launch SKSE, I get a black screen with the gold ES logo and a spinning circle in the bottom right hand corner. The game loaded successfully in the game launch test after extenders, so presumably there was an operator error somewhere between that point and the performance check. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot other than individually individually deactivating each mod and testing?

SKSE Load.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, philosophicalninja said:

Brand new to the step guides - just completed the SAE guide to the performance check section. When I launch SKSE, I get a black screen with the gold ES logo and a spinning circle in the bottom right hand corner. The game loaded successfully in the game launch test after extenders, so presumably there was an operator error somewhere between that point and the performance check. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot other than individually individually deactivating each mod and testing?

SKSE Load.png

Wait for it. It's got to initialize all the mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If waiting takes more than 2 minutes ....

If the Game Launch Test worked for you without issue, and you carefully read the instructions before the Performance Check, and you did not make any changes to the 02-Extenders, then your issue lies with one of the mods you configured. Pay attention to the MO warnings in log at bottom and the icons at upper right of MO window. If that looks OK, then you issue is most likely that you installed the wrong option for a mod related to SKSE or you missed a patch-related mod or the like.

The fastest way to resolve is to disable mods after 02-Extenders. The most efficient way to do this is using the following algorithm:

  1. Disable ALL mods after 02-Extenders (select all, right click, "Disable selected")
  2. Rerun the Game Launch Test to verify that works. If not, your problem is with a mod in 02-Extenders. If so, read on ...
  3. Enable only the "Step Patch - Conflict Resolution" "Step Patch - Lighting & Weather" mods. The error triangle at upper right will light up. Click this and then "Missing Masters" in the window that pops up. Note these plugins, and enable ONLY the corresponding mods referenced. If you don't know which mod a plugin belongs to, you can search for it in your mods folder (click the folder icon at the top of the left pane, and click "Open Mods folder". Use Exlorer search to find the file and the mod folder it is under)
  4. Once all required masters are found and enabled, you should see the MO error go away. If not, you are still missing one. (If you cannot for the life of you find it, then you did not install that mod or the corresponding mod option. That will likely be your issue.)
  5. Sort with LOOT and try to start the game again. If it works, you need to sort our which of the disabled mods is the culprit:
    1. Begin enabling mods in blocks by selecting all 06-Models & Textures mods (these mods will rarely be the problem, so ignore them henceforth) and the first half-ish of all of the others after that. (again, select these, and right click > "Enable selected")
    2. Sort with LOOT, and test again. If it works, enable half of the remaining disabled mods and repeat LOOT >  test until you find the issue. then you will know where the mod is in the enabled block. Use this same block-enable-disable approach of half and half until you narrow down the culprit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2022 at 12:18 PM, z929669 said:

If waiting takes more than 2 minutes ....

If the Game Launch Test worked for you without issue, and you carefully read the instructions before the Performance Check, and you did not make any changes to the 02-Extenders, then your issue lies with one of the mods you configured. Pay attention to the MO warnings in log at bottom and the icons at upper right of MO window. If that looks OK, then you issue is most likely that you installed the wrong option for a mod related to SKSE or you missed a patch-related mod or the like.

The fastest way to resolve is to disable mods after 02-Extenders. The most efficient way to do this is using the following algorithm:

  1. Disable ALL mods after 02-Extenders (select all, right click, "Disable selected")
  2. Rerun the Game Launch Test to verify that works. If not, your problem is with a mod in 02-Extenders. If so, read on ...
  3. Enable only the "Step Patch - Conflict Resolution" "Step Patch - Lighting & Weather" mods. The error triangle at upper right will light up. Click this and then "Missing Masters" in the window that pops up. Note these plugins, and enable ONLY the corresponding mods referenced. If you don't know which mod a plugin belongs to, you can search for it in your mods folder (click the folder icon at the top of the left pane, and click "Open Mods folder". Use Exlorer search to find the file and the mod folder it is under)
  4. Once all required masters are found and enabled, you should see the MO error go away. If not, you are still missing one. (If you cannot for the life of you find it, then you did not install that mod or the corresponding mod option. That will likely be your issue.)
  5. Sort with LOOT and try to start the game again. If it works, you need to sort our which of the disabled mods is the culprit:
    1. Begin enabling mods in blocks by selecting all 06-Models & Textures mods (these mods will rarely be the problem, so ignore them henceforth) and the first half-ish of all of the others after that. (again, select these, and right click > "Enable selected")
    2. Sort with LOOT, and test again. If it works, enable half of the remaining disabled mods and repeat LOOT >  test until you find the issue. then you will know where the mod is in the enabled block. Use this same block-enable-disable approach of half and half until you narrow down the culprit.

So I disabled all the mods after 02 - extenders. I re-ran the game launch test - that worked. I then completed step 3 by activating the step conflict & lighting/weather patches, copying the list of missing master files into word and going through one by one to activate - MO errors changed from 1 to 2; missing master file went away but still have an error for files in overwrite - looks like that is the SKSE ini for FUz Ro D'oh (see attached).

I relaunched the game through SKSE - still a black screen with a spinning circle. I left  it for an hour and the menu never loaded. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm at a loss here.

Step Guide Troubleshoot.pdf

Edited by philosophicalninja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, philosophicalninja said:

So I disabled all the mods after 02 - extenders. I re-ran the game launch test - that worked. I then completed step 3 by activating the step conflict & lighting/weather patches, copying the list of missing master files into word and going through one by one to activate - MO errors changed from 1 to 2; missing master file went away but still have an error for files in overwrite - looks like that is the SKSE ini for FUz Ro D'oh (see attached).

I relaunched the game through SKSE - still a black screen with a spinning circle. I left  it for an hour and the menu never loaded. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm at a loss here.

There's nothing attached. FUz Ro D'oh should be disabled if you followed my instructions. Delete whatever is in your overwrite. Revisit Step 3 and beyond. You are missing something.

What is "MO errors changed from 1 to 2"?

What happened in step 4 and 5 above? Complete all steps, don't just jump to launch if you have errors before that. the goal is to find the source of the error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, z929669 said:

There's nothing attached. FUz Ro D'oh should be disabled if you followed my instructions. Delete whatever is in your overwrite. Revisit Step 3 and beyond. You are missing something.

What is "MO errors changed from 1 to 2"?

What happened in step 4 and 5 above? Complete all steps, don't just jump to launch if you have errors before that. the goal is to find the source of the error.

I thought I attached it - I've tried again. It's a PDF, so it could be it's not recognizing the file type.

MO errors changed from 2 to 1 is what I meant - when I activated the step patches, I had two errors: one for the missing masters and one for the file in overwrite.

After completing step 3, the only error remaining was for the file in overwrite. I have deleted the file in overwrite per your instructions and now have zero errors in mod organizer - step 4 complete.

I sorted with Loot, and try to start the game again, but it still won't load. Your instructions then say "If it works, you need to sort our which of the disabled mods is the culprit". But that's just it - I did steps 1 - 5 and the issue is not resolved. So what is my next step?

Step Guide Troubleshoot.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you run LOOT, do you see any warnings when you scroll through the list?

 

You can share your SKSE logs, and I or someone else will have a look when there's time. Friday evening is looming, and I will be offline for a bit:

\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE\.

Zip up everything in there and attach it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember having this issue because I had forgotten to run Nemesis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could also be an overlay interfering. I've notice when I have FPS Monitor active, it takes longer to load to the game's menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2022 at 2:10 PM, z929669 said:

When you run LOOT, do you see any warnings when you scroll through the list?

 

You can share your SKSE logs, and I or someone else will have a look when there's time. Friday evening is looming, and I will be offline for a bit:

\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE\.

Zip up everything in there and attach it

Your suggestions helped me find the issue - thank you soo much for your assistance! I'd like to share the cause and fix so if anyone else has this issue they can find it. I looked in LOOT and saw the following error:

-FacegenForKids.esp: An unresolved reference to a package from an older version of USSEP, must be removed from record 00014132 in FacegenForKids.esp. Guide: https://macsplody.github.io/xGuides/#-simple-children-

I also saw this error in my SKSE log: Unhandled exception "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF7DF506370 SkyrimSE.exe+0196370. A google search told me that others had seen that error related to facegen problems.

I disabled the FacegenForKids ESP plugin in the Simple Children mod, re-launched, and the menu loaded! Completing the instructions in the link permanently fixed the problem - I can now launch the game with no issues, and I was able to finish the performance benchmark section :)

Now I'm on step 5, LOD generation, and Dyndolod keeps giving me a BSOD - it did finally finish, but I suspect there are a bunch of missing textures because I have purple squares all over the place :( I'm assuming this is because Dyndolod kept crashing. I'm currently updating all my drivers and the BIOS. If that doesn't resolve the BSOD, should I  start a new post in this forum or the Dyndolod forum? Brand new to STEP so I'm still learning the rules.

Edited by philosophicalninja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, philosophicalninja said:

Your suggestions helped me find the issue - thank you soo much for your assistance! I'd like to share the cause and fix so if anyone else has this issue they can find it. I looked in LOOT and saw the following error:

-FacegenForKids.esp: An unresolved reference to a package from an older version of USSEP, must be removed from record 00014132 in FacegenForKids.esp. Guide: https://macsplody.github.io/xGuides/#-simple-children-

I also saw this error in my SKSE log: Unhandled exception "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF7DF506370 SkyrimSE.exe+0196370. A google search told me that others had seen that error related to facegen problems.

I disabled that ESP plugin in the Simple Children mod, re-launched, and the menu loaded! Completing the instructions in the link permanently fixed the problem - I can now launch the game with no issues, and I was able to finish the performance benchmark section :)

Now I'm on step 5, LOD generation, and Dyndolod keeps giving me a BSOD - it did finally finish, but I suspect there are a bunch of missing textures because I have purple squares all over the place :( I'm assuming this is because Dyndolod kept crashing. I'm currently updating all my drivers and the BIOS. If that doesn't resolve the BSOD, should I  start a new post in this forum or the Dyndolod forum? Brand new to STEP so I'm still learning the rules.

You missed the detailed instructions:
https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:Simple_Children

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

You missed the detailed instructions:
https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:Simple_Children

Oh my gosh - I didn't realize there were additional instructions in those Wikis. I better go back and check all of them to make sure I didn't miss anything else. Thank you for pointing that out!

As always, problems can be avoided by RTFM...totally my fault. I see that is spelled out in the Mod Table Legend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, philosophicalninja said:

Oh my gosh - I didn't realize there were additional instructions in those Wikis. I better go back and check all of them to make sure I didn't miss anything else. Thank you for pointing that out!

As always, problems can be avoided by RTFM...totally my fault. I see that is spelled out in the Mod Table Legend.

On the Guide, all you have to do is click the [Expand] links.
Screenshot 2022-04-02 202853.png

See: https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:2.0.0#Mod_Table_Reference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Badfrog88
      Following a clean re-install of Skyrim AE, I've been reinstalling the Step Guide and had intended to include everything. Because of this I have installed the ENB options in all the steps prior to Post Processing. Now I'm not so sure I want to install/run an ENB with this build. Is it safe to jump to Step 05 or do I need to remove and reinstall the mods with the Post Processing (blue) flag? I am getting between 91-115 FPS in Riften with my new 144 Hz monitor.
    • By MegaDan32
      Hi! I have been trying to mod my Skyrim game for a couple of days now and I have been meticulosly following the STEP Skyrim Special Editio Guidelines and I have finally arrived to step 6.24.2. I already finished sorting the plugins with LOOT and already finished the standar cleaning procedures. Now I have to proceed with the performance benchmark which requires to launch the game for the first time after downloading and installing all the mods. Now here is the problem: When launching Skyrim, it will open, it shows the logo and a little loading animation on the bottom right, and it closes itself after a couple of seconds -No error pop ups or anything. I am pretty new when it comes to modding and I have no idea of what could be causing this problem, and I would love to fix this instead of uninstalling everything and retrying in a couple of months.
      Thank a lot beforehand!
    • By Mousetick
      Discussion topic:
      I'm Walkin' Here by Fudgyduff
      Wiki Link
      SKSE plugin with customizable JSON configuration.
      QOL: Disables collision between player and NPCs so that they don't push the player or block narrow passages.
      The description on the Nexus mod page is very short and rather vague:
      What this does exactly is disabling collision so the NPCs are no longer solid: they can walk through the player and vice-versa. They'll still get in your face while you're in a conversation, or clump together stuck in passageways. So it's not perfect, but it's much better than vanilla.
      The following NPCs and situations are addressed:
      Disables collision while the player is in dialogue. Disables collision between the player and their allies. Disables collision between the player and their summons. Disables collision between the player and their allies' summons. Each of the above can be turned on or off via configuration settings (all ON by default).
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.