v2.0.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

DoubleYou

In the "Clean the Masters" section, step 4 says "Follow the standard cleaning procedures to clean Update.esm, then Dawnguard.esm using the standard cleaning procedures"

I believe the intent is to clean Dawnguard.esm using the specific instructions listed, rather than using the standard cleaning procedures.

2 hours ago, FendisKhan said:

BethINI Baseline Configuration:

The example image for "Detail" does not match either described option. Lens Flare is unchecked (agreeing with ENB option) yet Ambient Occlusion remains checked (disagreeing with ENB option)

Fixed

2 hours ago, FendisKhan said:

In the "Clean the Masters" section, step 4 says "Follow the standard cleaning procedures to clean Update.esm, then Dawnguard.esm using the standard cleaning procedures"

I believe the intent is to clean Dawnguard.esm using the specific instructions listed, rather than using the standard cleaning procedures.

Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback

28 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Fixed

Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback

Glad to help. The instructions have been really easy to follow so far!

By the way, the image captions at the bottom of that section refer to 3.x, rather than 4.x

April 2022 a version of Unofficial Material Fix (that does not require SMIM) was added to Nexus Mods. Should an instruction be added to specify which version is STEP-appropriate? (I'm assuming that the original version is the one I should be using now. Right?)

Yes, you should use the one that requires SMIM. The primary difference is that SMIM installs its assets in custom folders (something like textures/SMIM and meshes/SMIM) instead of overwriting the vanilla meshes and textures.

FYI: In the instructions for A Clear Map of Skyrim and Other Worlds, the "expand/collapse" button is not working. Fortunately, it seems to be in a permanent expanded state.

Also, the configuration for CoMAP - Common Marker Addon Project does not mention that the variable bObscuredUndiscovered appears both under [Map] and under [HUD]. (The variable does appear twice, but with no explanation as to why.)

Edited by FendisKhan
additional suggestion

3 hours ago, FendisKhan said:

FYI: In the instructions for A Clear Map of Skyrim and Other Worlds, the "expand/collapse" button is not working. Fortunately, it seems to be in a permanent expanded state.

Also, the configuration for CoMAP - Common Marker Addon Project does not mention that the variable bObscuredUndiscovered appears both under [Map] and under [HUD]. (The variable does appear twice, but with no explanation as to why.)

Obscure undiscovered (location) in the map and/or on the HUD. No explanation necessary?

Thank you so much for this guide! It was very clear and the attention to detail really shows.

My main issue was NEMESIS refused to run unless I disabled Windows Defender completely. (Rather concerning...) The github site for Nemesis is now readonly which is even more concerning so I couldn't tell if the developer is aware or fixing this as a tool that requires disabling anti-virus software is NOT a good long term solution. Also, "Fixed Mesh Lighting" now has two new options as mentioned previously in this topic.

Now I would like to add Legacy of the Dragonborn, but Book Covers Skyrim is included in that mod. If I disable the two Book Cover mods it breaks the STEP patches. Is there any way to get LotD to work?

32 minutes ago, Lorthaus said:

Thank you so much for this guide! It was very clear and the attention to detail really shows.

My main issue was NEMESIS refused to run unless I disabled Windows Defender completely. (Rather concerning...) The github site for Nemesis is now readonly which is even more concerning so I couldn't tell if the developer is aware or fixing this as a tool that requires disabling anti-virus software is NOT a good long term solution. Also, "Fixed Mesh Lighting" now has two new options as mentioned previously in this topic.

Now I would like to add Legacy of the Dragonborn, but Book Covers Skyrim is included in that mod. If I disable the two Book Cover mods it breaks the STEP patches. Is there any way to get LotD to work?

You should be able to simply add an exception or two to your antivirus. Disabling it completely is overkill and shouldn't be required.

As for removing BCS from the patches, there are a couple threads around describing how to remove plugins from the patches. You should find them when searching. I don't think the patches alters any locations so most of the changes should be restricted to the Book tree in xEdit for object bounds, text and model/texture records. You may find a script or two forwarded.

2 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

You should be able to simply add an exception or two to your antivirus. Disabling it completely is overkill and shouldn't be required.

As for removing BCS from the patches, there are a couple threads around describing how to remove plugins from the patches. You should find them when searching. I don't think the patches alters any locations so most of the changes should be restricted to the Book tree in xEdit for object bounds, text and model/texture records. You may find a script or two forwarded.

Thanks for the quick replay.  I did some more research on the Nemesis thing and found a suggestion to set the executable to Win7 Compatibility. (Right click on  "Nemesis Unlimited Behavior Engine.exe", select Properties, go-to Compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", select Windows 7, click OK.) It worked for me without needing virus exceptions.

Now, how brave do I feel to start deleting things from STEP patches in xEdit... May want to enjoy my nice shiny modern tested Skyrim a bit first. ;)

CACO and hearthfire extended cause a conflict where both vanilla horker tusks and CACO horker tusks do not count for creating a mounted horker head in the cellar of your house

should be a simple fix but CACO also causes some conflicts with other non-step mods like lustmord vampire armor where human flesh and blood cannot create blood potions

disabling caco and related step patches, starting a new save with live another life and going to the lakeview manor and spawning myself vanilla horker tusks, fixed this bug for me
ive built every other item in the manor so afaik its just horker tusks that cannot be obtained ingame even with console commands

2 hours ago, cpin1 said:

CACO and hearthfire extended cause a conflict where both vanilla horker tusks and CACO horker tusks do not count for creating a mounted horker head in the cellar of your house

should be a simple fix but CACO also causes some conflicts with other non-step mods like lustmord vampire armor where human flesh and blood cannot create blood potions

disabling caco and related step patches, starting a new save with live another life and going to the lakeview manor and spawning myself vanilla horker tusks, fixed this bug for me
ive built every other item in the manor so afaik its just horker tusks that cannot be obtained ingame even with console commands

In vanilla, horker tusk is a misc item (clutter junk) while in CACO it's an alchemy ingredient. You can't add vanilla horker tusk to your inventory even with console commands because it's automatically converted by CACO to CACO horker tusk.

From the sticky post at the top of the CACO compatibility page:

CACO converts some non-ingredient vanilla items into alchemy ingredients and vise-versa. For example, horker tusks and soul husks are now considered alchemy ingredients. If other mods use the vanilla version of these items in a crafting recipe or as quest requirement, then you will need to convert the CACO item back into it's vanilla equivalent. I have provided an easy way for you to do this from within CACO's MCM. Simply go to the Utilities section, check the "Disable Item Swapping" box, then click on the item you need to have converted back to its vanilla equivalent. Any relevant items in your inventory will be converted back to their vanilla form. You can swap between vanilla & CACO items at any time.

[...]

Mods that use certain vanilla items such as horker tusks, soul husks, bone hawk claws, or human flesh: If other mods use the vanilla version of these items in a crafting recipe or as quest requirement, then you can convert the CACO item back into it's vanilla equivalent by enabling the " Disable Item Swapping" box in the MCM.

Standard Hearthfire workbenches produce vanilla objects from vanilla recipes with vanilla components which are patched by CACO, so they work transparently. Hearthfire Extended workbenches produce custom objects from custom recipes with vanilla components which are not patched by CACO, so they need the above workaround.

Yes, it should be easy to fix in the STEP CR patch so that HFE recipes use CACO components if applicable.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

In vanilla, horker tusk is a misc item (clutter junk) while in CACO it's an alchemy ingredient. You can't add vanilla horker tusk to your inventory even with console commands because it's automatically converted by CACO to CACO horker tusk.

From the sticky post at the top of the CACO compatibility page:

Standard Hearthfire workbenches produce vanilla objects from vanilla recipes with vanilla components which are patched by CACO, so they work transparently. Hearthfire Extended workbenches produce custom objects from custom recipes with vanilla components which are not patched by CACO, so they need the above workaround.

Yes, it should be easy to fix in the STEP CR patch so that HFE recipes use CACO components if applicable.

Wow, thank you for this information. I knew about this issue, but hadn't bothered to look into it yet, as it was a minor inconvenience to me.