Guidance about Navmesh Patching with CK

Arel

Question

Hi, I have been doing The Method and I've come across many navmesh conflicts. Some delete triangles some add more, some add edges some removes them, some of them adds water some of them removes the water and I am really, really lost on this subject.

I've been chatting on xEdit discord about this but while I've inspected various sources I only got more confused. So I am simply asking for you to point me to a direction to learn and handle this navmesh thing.

Thank you.

2 answers to this question

I don't think you could hope to achieve anything in xEdit for resolving navmesh conflicts at a relatively fine granularity level, since the raw data available can't be readily interpreted in practical terms. It's necessary to use CK to visualize the data in "geographical" terms in the context of specific game cells and their contents such as walls, paths, doors, obstacles etc.

So you can either try to use CK to manually edit the navmesh in order for it to work with all the mods involved.

Or you can resolve the conflicts in xEdit at a very coarse level by simply choosing one the mods involved and letting it "win" over the others by copying its entire navmesh into your patch overriding everything else. Again you can use this prioritization rule of thumb: the mod that has the most impact on the game should win.

21 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

I don't think you could hope to achieve anything in xEdit for resolving navmesh conflicts at a relatively fine granularity level, since the raw data available can't be readily interpreted in practical terms. It's necessary to use CK to visualize the data in "geographical" terms in the context of specific game cells and their contents such as walls, paths, doors, obstacles etc.

So you can either try to use CK to manually edit the navmesh in order for it to work with all the mods involved.

Or you can resolve the conflicts in xEdit at a very coarse level by simply choosing one the mods involved and letting it "win" over the others by copying its entire navmesh into your patch overriding everything else. Again you can use this prioritization rule of thumb: the mod that has the most impact on the game should win.

I think I wasn't being clear so you got me wrong, sorry about that. I am not looking to solve this in xEdit, I want to solve this in CK because I've learned that I couldn't patch this with xEdit and have to use CK. Even if I went ahead create a patch in xEdit I should be finalizing the navmesh in CK. Right now I am watching CK tutorials about navmesh in order to understand how it works and adventually make a patch for myself.

The thing is I'd like to know if there is any good source about this because I am getting pretty confused about this.