LOD Unloading Bug Fix (by wankingSkeever)

DoubleYou

Discussion topic:
LOD Unloading Bug Fix by wankingSkeever
Wiki Link

I'm not sure if this is needed or not, but could prove useful. I've not really seen this issue while using a correct LOD setup, although I know the issue exists in specific circumstances. I want to believe that this doesn't happen because we have proper LOD settings, but it may be simply a matter of "distance" as the author states.

I think this has happened to me before in testing LOD. I didn't know the cause until I read this mod's description, so that must've been the issue. It looked like it does flying around using camera and tll and goes away sometimes and isn't necessarily reproducible.

It's happened to me when I cow or coc after loading a save. Could be useful for some in edge cases.

It happens mostly when you fast travel to Whiterun. I have seen it extremely extremely rarely elsewhere.

It's a problem of LOD meshes near Whiterun gate. I have done some tests the other days and found theses Whiterun LOD meshes are involved:

WRWallGateDrawBridge01 [STAT:000424E6]

WRWallGateTarTrap01 [STAT:00042515]

WRWallStrRubbled01Free [STAT:00067150]

WRWallMainGate01EXT [STAT:00069820]

WRWallStrUp128Shift128 [STAT:00089F3B]

all these meshes have "Has Distant LOD" tag.

If one has to investigate to find the cause, it should be there.

Update.

There are some questions to answer when trying to find a fix:

1) Do this bug hold in pure vanilla? (the answer I think is No)

2) Is this bug related to LOD from xxLODGen? (probably Yes)

3) Is this bug related to LOD from Dyndolod? (probably No, because I was starting getting it when I used only xxLODGen )

4) Is this bug related to LOD genearated from Dyndolod or xxLODGen? : I think no because I removed the folders meshes\Lod\Whiterun and and textures\Lod\Whiteun and was still getting it. What is involved here are the Lod that came from Skyrim Vanilla.

Edited by gamingsrc

This vanilla bug and a workaround has been known since 2016. https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/282992646969966995/

Changing the LOD distance helps so the bug doesn't happen with the typical fast travel routes. It is mentioned in the DynDOLOD FAQ since years, too.

Dynamic LOD from DynDOLOD typically fixes this bug  together with the tree LOD fast travel bug as well.

It occurs in Fallout 4 as well I never noticed it in LE ever and I have over 4k hours in that according to Steam so its something that broke when they updated something? Arthmoor states the bug has been there since Oblivion though. If you save the game while its occuring, quit, restart game and reload save the problem disappears so its some kind of issue with data stored in memory which WS's script addresses by issueing the equivalent of a PCB console command I believe so its a workaround rather than a fix.

Which would require some kind of understanding of the engine level Aers mentioned he was aware of it on his SSE engine fixes page iirc but clearly never got around to finding out where the bug was or releasing a fix

I actually noticed it in FO4 first the quarry area is notorious for it I thought it was some kind of issue with my game install or mod issue and spent an age tearing my hair out reinstalling the game and/or mods only to find out later everyone had the same issue and it was some kind of engine level bug.

Edited by soupdragon

1 hour ago, soupdragon said:

It occurs in Fallout 4 as well I never noticed it in LE ever and I have over 4k hours in that according to Steam so its something that broke when they updated something? Arthmoor states the bug has been there since Oblivion though. If you save the game while its occuring, quit, restart game and reload save the problem disappears so its some kind of issue with data stored in memory which WS's script addresses by issueing the equivalent of a PCB console command I believe so its a workaround rather than a fix.

Which would require some kind of understanding of the engine level Aers mentioned he was aware of it on his SSE engine fixes page iirc but clearly never got around to finding out where the bug was or releasing a fix

I actually noticed it in FO4 first the quarry area is notorious for it I thought it was some kind of issue with my game install or mod issue and spent an age tearing my hair out reinstalling the game and/or mods only to find out later everyone had the same issue and it was some kind of engine level bug.

Reducing fBlockLevel0Distance to 44000 fixes it in 99% of cases in FO4. Since using that value, I personally didn't run into that issue at all anymore. Its another value in SSE but using DynDOLOD and sheson's suggested settings I never seen it there either.

7 hours ago, sheson said:

This vanilla bug and a workaround has been known since 2016. https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/282992646969966995/

Changing the LOD distance helps so the bug doesn't happen with the typical fast travel routes. It is mentioned in the DynDOLOD FAQ since years, too.

Dynamic LOD from DynDOLOD typically fixes this bug  together with the tree LOD fast travel bug as well.

Thanks for the information.

I reduced 

fBlockLevel0Distance=60000

to

fBlockLevel0Distance=47000     

and it worked when fast traveling from Castle Volkihar to Whiterun. (value 50000 didn't works well)

and I'm using Dyndolod "Very High" option on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650.

Just to say that a bit later I changed the setting to:

fBlockLevel0Distance=45000

since I found that the value 47000 was a bit unstable (not all the time it prevented the Whiterun lod bug).

Then now I have used BethINI tweaks with ULTRA setting (no windowed mod) and my discovery was:

This allowed me to use the value

fBlockLevel0Distance=50000

without getting the LOD bug in three or four tests.

Edited by gamingsrc
spelling...

There is nothing particularly special about the values you are posting. You should post more details including full ini settings, and lod configuration such as using DynDOLOD or not. Also cow coordinates between fast travel points and any other repeatable details.

I have not seen this bug on my level 80 character using DynDOLOD and the TerrainManager settings posted on the Grass LOD guide. I also use lod32 for the map, which is also relevant.