wrye bash uses mods deactivated as part of merge

WizardMarnok

Question

Clearly I am misunderstanding something basic about either wrye bash, zmerge, or both.

I have merged some mods using zmerge, activated the merged mod, and the esps which were part of the merge are unticked in MO2.

When I run wrye bash, it adds some of the unticked esps to the bashed patch masters, and reticks them.

What should I be doing to make sure my merges are ready to be bashed, and the 'component' esps are ignored?

3 answers to this question

If MA is a master of MC, and you merge MA and MB into MD, MA is still a master of MC, unless you modify MC to have MD as a master and remove MA from its masters.

Does that make sense?

Merging plugins is usually done with "leaf" plugins (e.g. patches), that are at the end of the dependency chain. That is, nothing else uses them as masters. In that case the issue above doesn't arise.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

If MA is a master of MC, and you merge MA and MB into MD, MA is still a master of MC, unless you modify MC to have MD as a master and remove MA from its masters.

Does that make sense?

Merging plugins is usually done with "leaf" plugins (e.g. patches), that are at the end of the dependency chain. That is, nothing else uses them as masters. In that case the issue above doesn't arise.

Maybe that's what I missed, but I was pretty sure none of my merged plugins were masters to anything outside of the merge - I tested by unticking them and no '!' missing master warnings appeared in the load order. (Also zmerge itself warns if an esp will be unusable after the merge).

Is this the only likely scenario in which the situation could arise? If so perhaps I can check dependancies a bit more intently.

2 hours ago, WizardMarnok said:

When I run wrye bash, it adds some of the unticked esps to the bashed patch masters, and reticks them.

When you run WB from MO, it should show the list of plugins exactly the same as it is in MO2 - same load order, same enabled/disabled state. Is this not the case? Are you launching WB from MO?

When exactly does WB "retick" the plugins you disabled in MO?

If there are missing or disabled masters, WB warns you before (re)building the Bashed Patch, it doesn't silently "tick" anything.

image.png