Question about waterfalls with Dyndolod

MisterMorden

Question

What is the furthest extent to which animated dynamic lods created by dyndolod can be made to show?  I believe I read somewhere here that normally after 11 cells they go to static lod?  I'm curious because I'm having an issue where at quite a distance the moving waterfall lod will unload but no static lod model replaces it.  This is using high rules in advanced settings.  I do get a static waterfall on the map though.  Also at this distance the moving windmill blades disappear but the static lod appears at that point.  So with all things working correctly, at some point the animated lods do become plain static lods (before level 32 I mean)?  Any help or insight is appreciated.

Edited by MisterMorden

46 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

I figured it would z-fight. It's definitely been this way forever, just I never noticed. I remember that SkyFalls and SkyMills set the references to NeverFades and that worked quite well. If we set them as NeverFades and modified the rule to not generate static in all levels, it might be the best solution to remove any transition. I doubt the performance impact would be very high. Best place to test this are the huge waterfalls in the distance in the hot springs area south of Windhelm.

I think increasing FarGrids, at any rate, would be more performance intensive than the Neverfade solution.

Lowering fBlock0Distance to sufficient levels produced an awful lot of z-fighting for me, so I don't think that is the route to go.

I find it curious why after 7 years of noticing anybody would care now.

There is about 200 references in Tamriel for these. The dynamic LOD are as performance friendly as possible with no particles and no ordered nodes. If a systems struggles already it will have an impact that they are always active and visible.

I suggest to use reference rules to specifically target the dozen waterfalls where it would actually matter, like the Darkwater falls.

True. I definitely never noticed this during normal gameplay. It's not really a big issue to me, as I don't spend a lot of time looking that far away to see if the waterfall is there when I'm miles away from it. Indeed, I struggled finding a location until I found those falls, so it probably is hardly worth it for the small amount of area you would be in to not have either static object LOD or dynamic LOD. It would suck to be in Whiterun and for the waterfalls to be flowing at Darkwater Falls miles upon miles away. I think I'd rather just ignore the issue. I'd rather have no falls for a bit then z-fighting falls all over the place, or falls falling everywhere.