Forgotten Argonian Roots - FOMOD (by foreverphoenix)

Mousetick

Discussion topic:
Forgotten Argonian Roots - FOMOD by foreverphoenix
Wiki Link

I'm not a big fan of the current installation instructions in the guide for FAR. This mod attempts to remediate the complications.

This mod doesn't contain any asset, so you still need the original FAR mod and combine the two into a new mod archive. But IMHO it's a simpler and less error-prone operation for users. The FOMOD automatically skips the installation of the broken specular maps, so that's one less thing to worry about.

The FOMOD menu selections that I believe correspond to STEP installation and that I've been using are:

Menu 1: Males + Females > Menu 2: Vanilla Body > Menu 3: Vanilla Body > Menu 4: None

It's not a complete download-and-install solution, but I'm mentioning its existence in case STEP might consider it an improvement. As a side note, this mod was created for use with another modding guide, The Phoenix Flavour.

Edited by Mousetick

This has been mentioned here:

I have considered this, but I think we are just trading problems. Restructuring and hiding are no more error pron than downloading this , extracting it, and repackaging so that it works as intended. Either way, it's error prone, and with this solution, we now must rely on an updated FOMOD, costs an additional download, and the problem of improper extraction/repackaging.

The same kinds of actions are required, so it seems simpler and more robust to do it as we are currently, IMO. Others may feel differently, but I think it just adds a layer of complexity of installation and instructions maintenance.

In fact, I am not sure why FAR has not been repackaged. On principle alone, I would rather drop FAR and any other mods that are improperly maintained without ability to re-upload if it's a permissions thing.

I did search the forum to see if it wasn't already there, but I only searched for topic titles, rather than titles and posts, so I missed it. Sorry.

Yeah it's definitely not a panacea.

It would have been easier if the FOMOD MA had packaged it as a ZIP file (like FAR's) instead of a RAR. With Windows Explorer native integration, ZIP files can be opened and manipulated like regular folders. Combining the FOMOD and FAR archives would have been a simple matter of dragging and dropping one folder into another.

2 hours ago, Mousetick said:

I did search the forum to see if it wasn't already there, but I only searched for topic titles, rather than titles and posts, so I missed it. Sorry.

Yeah it's definitely not a panacea.

It would have been easier if the FOMOD MA had packaged it as a ZIP file (like FAR's) instead of a RAR. With Windows Explorer native integration, ZIP files can be opened and manipulated like regular folders. Combining the FOMOD and FAR archives would have been a simple matter of dragging and dropping one folder into another.

Creating the mod page is fine, I was just pointing to where it had been mentioned previously.

I hadn't even noticed it was RAR ... not a big deal but it seems silly, since the standard for Nexus is 7z. Seems like FAR-associated MAs are playing games O_o