Moon and Star (by Gan Xingba)

DoubleYou

Discussion topic:
Moon and Star by Gan Xingba
Wiki Link

I just finished testing this mod. It is quite well polished and it is obvious that they studied the lore to create this quest. Adds a city out on Lake Ilinata and the Dwarven ruin of Kagrenar between Windhelm and Riften. Works out of the box with STEP, with just an additional patch provided by Landscape Fixes for Grass Mods.

50 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

I just finished testing this mod. It is quite well polished and it is obvious that they studied the lore to create this quest. Adds a city out on Lake Ilinata and the Dwarven ruin of Kagrenar between Windhelm and Riften. Works out of the box with STEP, with just an additional patch provided by Landscape Fixes for Grass Mods.

How's it work with Oakwood? Would seem like there's a lot going on at the lake with both these mods installed.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:01 AM, DoubleYou said:

Since it's all out on the lake, it feels like an extension of Oakwood almost, as the bridge to Little Vivec is just beyond the Temple of Arkay. No conflicts. 

Just thought it would be a bit odd with the two right next to one another. I only like Oakwood because it makes a very nice extension to Lakeview Manor; else, it really doesn't add much beside generic content.

I would rather remove Oakwood (never liked how it looks from above at the standing stones.

Moon and Star actually adds some nice content white Oakwood is just a rather useless small settlement. Also Moon and Star village is a bit different from the regular villages (like Oakwood).

I did at some point when i played Moon and Star some years ago did bump into some bugs i think though.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:22 PM, DoubleYou said:

Only issue I experienced were NPCs going deep sea swimming. 

Sounds like a simple preferred pathing issue...would take 5 mins to fix in the CK.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, Mercury71 said:

Installed it with the player house boat addon just for fun to see how it looks. Looks good but maby not in the STEP mandate to add a player house?

Like how it reflects in the water.

The house would be optional. Honestly AE added like 9 more homes so I don't think it's needed, but that is entirely player choice.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:17 PM, Mercury71 said:

I would rather remove Oakwood (never liked how it looks from above at the standing stones.

Moon and Star actually adds some nice content white Oakwood is just a rather useless small settlement. Also Moon and Star village is a bit different from the regular villages (like Oakwood).

If we're going to add some of these mods, this echos my thoughts. I would rather have a new town that adds something for the player to do (thus a reason to visit) rather than a town with just your generic interactions.

8 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

If we're going to add some of these mods, this echos my thoughts. I would rather have a new town that adds something for the player to do (thus a reason to visit) rather than a town with just your generic interactions.

I like this idea. I think Oakwood kind of makes sense as an extension to the Hearthfires player home, but there's not really anything to do in this town. Oakwood has a vendor along the river, but it seems the door is perpetually locked and I've never found a way to enter without using console commands... although I have not searched in depth because it's not worth the trouble.

• 5 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

One thing I will mention is that several of the weapons are duplicated with some of the AE content, such as Chrysamere. There should be no conflict according to the author, but it might be good to look into this. 

So what you're saying is they're put copies of unique items around?

I haven't looked into it fully yet, but it looks like it. It should be able to be patched, I think, if it doesn't make sense. This mod made its own versions separate from the AE ones, but it probably would make sense to make the AE items only accessible through this quest as an integration patch.