Jump to content
  • 0

FNIS Warning: Expected generator path not found


Kattmandu
 Share

Question

Since the release of Anniversary Edition, I renamed my Skyrim SE installation folder from 'Skyrim Special Edition' to 'Skyrim Special Edition Classic' before updating the game on Steam.  So now I have both folders in Steam\steamapps\common.

I have setup MO2 to have two different instances of Skyrim SE (one being Anniversary Edition and the other being just before Anniversary Edition).  I'm using the same Base Folder (F:/Tools/MO2Base/Skyrim) for both instances so I don't have duplicate mods using up disk space.  However, I did create unique subfolders for 'Profiles' and 'Overwrite' (e.g. %BASE_DIR%/AE/profiles and %BASE_DIR%/SE/profiles).

So, now I have FNIS installed and when I run it through the 'Skyrim Special Edition' instance, it runs as expected.  When I switch to the 'Skyrim Special Edition Classic' instance, FNIS gives me the following warning...

FNIS Behavior V7.6   11/14/2021 2:35:15 PM
Generator: F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition Classic\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
Skyrim SE 64bit: ??.??.?? - F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\ (Steam)
>>Warning: Expected generator path: F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users not found<<

I'm also getting similar pathing error when trying to run DynDOLOD through MO2...

Error: Can not find DynDOLOD Resources SE core files to create improved LOD.
Current Data path F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\

Is there a way to run these utilities through MO2 with Skyrim SE being in a folder other than 'Skyrim Special Edition'?

Edited by Kattmandu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

You should rename the game folder for whichever instance you will be running at any given time. I use:

  • Skyrim Special Edition-SAE
  • Skyrim Special Edition-SSE

... for each game folder version and rename whichever one I am using to "Skyrim Special Edition"

Then all tools will reference the correct path.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
10 minutes ago, z929669 said:

You should rename the game folder for whichever instance you will be running at any given time. I use:

  • Skyrim Special Edition-SAE
  • Skyrim Special Edition-SSE

... for each game folder version and rename whichever one I am using to "Skyrim Special Edition"

Then all tools will reference the correct path.

So I should not have unique instances within MO2.  Just use one instance but have different profiles for each version of Skyrim SE?

Edited by Kattmandu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 minutes ago, Kattmandu said:

So I should not have unique instances within MO2.  Just use one instance but have different profiles for each version of Skyrim SE?

No, Profiles share mods, so each mod configuration and priority will be shared between profiles. Instances let you keep everything separated, which is necessary, since some mods may need to be configured differently. I use separate instances, too.

It uses up double the space this way, but I see no other viable option. If you install MO in instanced mode (not portable), then you will have separate instances in %LOCALAPPDATA%\ModOrganizer but MO will be installed in a single location (F:\Tools\MO2Base\Skyrim).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 minutes ago, z929669 said:

No, Profiles share mods, so each mod configuration and priority will be shared between profiles. Instances let you keep everything separated, which is necessary, since some mods may need to be configured differently. I use separate instances, too.

Okay, so my issue is the Game Location for each instance?

Instance 1 Game location  F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition
Instance 2 Game location  F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition Classic

The location needs to be the same and just rename the actual game folder I want to use at any given time to 'Skyrim Special Edition'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 minutes ago, Kattmandu said:

Okay, so my issue is the Game Location for each instance?

Instance 1 Game location  F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition
Instance 2 Game location  F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition Classic

The location needs to be the same and just rename the actual game folder I want to use at any given time to 'Skyrim Special Edition'

Yes, and see edit to my last

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, z929669 said:

No, Profiles share mods, so each mod configuration and priority will be shared between profiles. Instances let you keep everything separated, which is necessary, since some mods may need to be configured differently. I use separate instances, too.

It uses up double the space this way, but I see no other viable option. If you install MO in instanced mode (not portable), then you will have separate instances in %LOCALAPPDATA%\ModOrganizer but MO will be installed in a single location (F:\Tools\MO2Base\Skyrim).

Some mods are compatible with both SAE and SSE.  So, I have the 'mods' and 'downloads' folder in F:\Tools\MO2Base\Skyrim.  For mods that are unique between SAE and SSE (such as USSEP), I will have different versions of the same mod and name them accordingly in MO2.  The 'overwrite' and ''profiles' folders for each instance are split into F:\Tools\MO2Base\Skyrim\SAE and F:\Tools\MO2Base\Skyrim\SSE.   I configured these locations via the 'Configure setting and workarounds' button and then selecting the 'Paths' tab.  This way I will only have duplicate mods using double the space for the mods that require it.  As time passes, I'm sure more and more mods will only work with one or the other Editions.  But all those texture and mesh mods (which take up a lot of disk space) should work with both Editions, correct.

Edited by Kattmandu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
21 minutes ago, Kattmandu said:

Some mods are compatible with both SAE and SSE.  So, I have the 'mods' and 'downloads' folder in F:\Tools\MO2Base\Skyrim.  For mods that are unique between SAE and SSE (such as USSEP), I will have different versions of the same mod and name them accordingly in MO2.  The 'overwrite' and ''profiles' folders for each instance are split into F:\Tools\MO2Base\Skyrim\SAE and F:\Tools\MO2Base\Skyrim\SSE.   I configured these locations via the 'Configure setting and workarounds' button in MO2.  This way I will only have duplicate mods using double the space for the mods that require it.  As time passes, I'm sure more and more mods will only work with one or the other Editions.  But all those texture and mesh mods (which take up a lot of disk space) should work with both Editions, correct.

Probably fine, but I have plenty of disk space, so never use that workaround or config, since more chances of messing up the config.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 11/14/2021 at 8:55 PM, Kattmandu said:

Is there a way to run these utilities through MO2 with Skyrim SE being in a folder other than 'Skyrim Special Edition'?

For DynDOLOD 3 (and perhaps 2 too but I don't know), you can use the -D command line option:

-D:"F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition Classic\data\"

Make sure to append a \ at the end of the data folder path, as shown above.

For FNIS, I don't know. Check its documentation, there may be a similar command line option that does the same thing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.