HOWTO Reinstall Skyrim SE 1.5.97 if you don't have a backup

41 minutes ago, Arel said:

I am getting System.Exception: Can't patch file, it doesn't match the expected format error with the patch, I have tried check integrity with steam but it didn't helped either. What can I do?

You're not the only one apparently. You can try some of the workarounds discussed in the Downgrade Patcher comments section.

If you can't find a solution, throw the Downgrade Patcher away and follow the procedure described in the OP, using Depot Downloader to download a fresh copy of SSE 1.5.97 from Steam. Or use Unofficial Skyrim Downloader which does the same thing with a user-friendly UI.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

You're not the only one apparently. You can try some of the workarounds discussed in the Downgrade Patcher comments section.

If you can't find a solution, throw the Downgrade Patcher away and follow the procedure described in the OP, using Depot Downloader to download a fresh copy of SSE 1.5.97 from Steam. Or use Unofficial Skyrim Downloader which does the same thing with a user-friendly UI.

First of all thank you for your answer. I don't feel good about entering my password on anywhere, is there way to confirm it is only connecting to the steam?

25 minutes ago, Arel said:

I don't feel good about entering my password on anywhere, is there way to confirm it is only connecting to the steam?

You could use a firewall to block all outgoing network connections for the app and only allow IP addresses and domain names that connect to Steam servers directly or to CDNs (Content Delivery Network) used by Steam. Needless to say, that's not a piece of cake.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

You could use a firewall to block all outgoing network connections for the app and only allow IP addresses and domain names that connect to Steam servers directly or to CDNs (Content Delivery Network) used by Steam. Needless to say, that's not a piece of cake.

Well I've changed my password for this process and begin downloading. However the download is stuck at 43,11 for some reason. Did this happen before?

11 minutes ago, Arel said:

Well I've changed my password for this process and begin downloading. However the download is stuck at 43,11 for some reason. Did this happen before?

Which tool are you using, Depot Downloader or Unofficial Skyrim Downloader?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

However the download is stuck at 43,11 for some reason. Did this happen before?

It's been a while since I reinstalled SSE with this procedure so I don't remember. I tried the first command:

Spoiler

U:\<Name>\Scratch\Game\depotdownloader-2.4.5>dotnet DepotDownloader.dll -app 489830 -depot 489831 -manifest 7848722008564294070 -dir ..\ddtest -username <secret> -password <secret>
Connecting to Steam3... Done!
Logging '<secret>' into Steam3...Disconnected from Steam
This account is protected by Steam Guard.
Please enter your 2 factor auth code from your authenticator app: <secret>
Retrying Steam3 connection... Done!
Logging '<secret>' into Steam3... Done!
Using Steam3 suggested CellID: 14
Got 1285 licenses for account!
Got session token!
Got AppInfo for 489830
Using app branch: 'Public'.
Got depot key for 489831 result: OK
Processing depot 489831 - Skyrim Special Edition disk
Downloading depot manifest... Done!
Manifest 7848722008564294070 (2016-10-28 18:24:28)
Downloading depot 489831 - Skyrim Special Edition disk
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Animations.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Misc.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Video\BGS_Logo.bik
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\installscript.vdf
 20.61% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Animations.bsa
 23.79% ..\ddtest\Data\Video\BGS_Logo.bik
 25.29% ..\ddtest\installscript.vdf
 45.23% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Misc.bsa
 61.46% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa
 84.90% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa
 88.01% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
100.00% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa
Depot 489831 - Downloaded 3702659216 bytes (5203317974 bytes uncompressed)
Total downloaded: 3702659216 bytes (5203317974 bytes uncompressed) from 1 depots
Accepted new login key for account <secret>
Disconnected from Steam

U:\<Name>\Scratch\Game\depotdownloader-2.4.5>

There are some pauses during the download while the temporary files are decompressed. Be patient and let it finish.

7 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

It's been a while since I reinstalled SSE with this procedure so I don't remember. I tried the first command:

Hide contents

U:\<Name>\Scratch\Game\depotdownloader-2.4.5>dotnet DepotDownloader.dll -app 489830 -depot 489831 -manifest 7848722008564294070 -dir ..\ddtest -username <secret> -password <secret>
Connecting to Steam3... Done!
Logging '<secret>' into Steam3...Disconnected from Steam
This account is protected by Steam Guard.
Please enter your 2 factor auth code from your authenticator app: <secret>
Retrying Steam3 connection... Done!
Logging '<secret>' into Steam3... Done!
Using Steam3 suggested CellID: 14
Got 1285 licenses for account!
Got session token!
Got AppInfo for 489830
Using app branch: 'Public'.
Got depot key for 489831 result: OK
Processing depot 489831 - Skyrim Special Edition disk
Downloading depot manifest... Done!
Manifest 7848722008564294070 (2016-10-28 18:24:28)
Downloading depot 489831 - Skyrim Special Edition disk
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Animations.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Misc.bsa
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\Data\Video\BGS_Logo.bik
Pre-allocating ..\ddtest\installscript.vdf
 20.61% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Animations.bsa
 23.79% ..\ddtest\Data\Video\BGS_Logo.bik
 25.29% ..\ddtest\installscript.vdf
 45.23% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Misc.bsa
 61.46% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa
 84.90% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa
 88.01% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
100.00% ..\ddtest\Data\Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa
Depot 489831 - Downloaded 3702659216 bytes (5203317974 bytes uncompressed)
Total downloaded: 3702659216 bytes (5203317974 bytes uncompressed) from 1 depots
Accepted new login key for account <secret>
Disconnected from Steam

U:\<Name>\Scratch\Game\depotdownloader-2.4.5>

There are some pauses during the download while the temporary files are decompressed. Be patient and let it finish.

Thank you so much for giving it a try. How long did it take approximately? Since the last time I've replied to you my new download process got stuck at 12,84% for over 22 mins. I've got ssd and a good cpu I don't think it should take any longer to get past 12,84% Meshes1.bsa is the one written on the screen.

10 minutes ago, Arel said:

How long did it take approximately? Since the last time I've replied to you my new download process got stuck at 12,84% for over 22 mins. I've got ssd and a good cpu I don't think it should take any longer to get past 12,84% Meshes1.bsa is the one written on the screen.

Less than 5 minutes, with a 300 Mb/s internet connection, writing to a spinning HD.

Make sure you don't have any anti-virus or security software that might be blocking, and make sure the destination folder is not inside any Steam folder or library.

You may be experiencing some network traffic jam. But I don't understand why you're only at 12,84% for Meshes1.bsa, that doesn't make sense, compared to the progress shown in my previous post.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Less than 5 minutes, with a 300 Mb/s internet connection, writing to a spinning HD.

Make sure you don't have any anti-virus or security software that might be blocking, and make sure the destination folder is not inside any Steam folder or library.

You may be experiencing some network traffic jam. But I don't understand why you're only at 12,84% for Meshes1.bsa, that doesn't make sense, compared to the progress shown in my previous post.

It is suddenly completed now. The first part it 4.84 gb is it correct? If not then something went wrong and it got missing files. Do I make exclusions for the Depot Download or the Steam? Just in case if it is getting held back by antivirus, I got Eset. BTW I really appreciate your help, there was this Sinitar Gaming guy's discord and I got kicked twice just for asking questions. Didn't tell me what was wrong, if I did any mistake whatsoever. So, thank you very much.

47 minutes ago, Arel said:

The first part it 4.84 gb is it correct?

Yep, that's correct.

48 minutes ago, Arel said:

Do I make exclusions for the Depot Download or the Steam? Just in case if it is getting held back by antivirus, I got Eset.

Sounds like you're fine as it is, so no need to make exclusions.

48 minutes ago, Arel said:

So, thank you very much.

No problem, glad to help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

Yep, that's correct.

Sounds like you're fine as it is, so no need to make exclusions.

No problem, glad to help.

Hey, do I need to uninstall 1.6.353 or can I install it through steam or can I delete the files manually then move these downloaded files to that location? How would it effect if I am having those two at the same time? Do I delete the %localappdata% folder for skyrim? And also saves in documents?

15 minutes ago, Arel said:

Hey, do I need to uninstall 1.6.353 or can I install it through steam or can I delete the files manually then move these downloaded files to that location? How would it effect if I am having those two at the same time? Do I delete the %localappdata% folder for skyrim? And also saves in documents?

I added a link to related information in the OP. That topic has some tips for configuring things.

13 minutes ago, Arel said:

Hey, do I need to uninstall 1.6.353 or can I install it through steam or can I delete the files manually then move these downloaded files to that location? How would it effect if I am having those two at the same time?

Once you have downloaded everything (all 3 Depot Downloader commands have completed successfully), follow these instructions. Basically you can keep 1.6.353 but you rename its folder to move it aside, then move the downloaded files into your Steam library folder, next to 1.6.353. You can have both installed at the same time, but only one 'active' at any time. The 'active' one is the folder named 'Skyrim Special Edition'.

18 minutes ago, Arel said:

Do I delete the %localappdata% folder for skyrim?

Not sure what you're referring to exactly. Skyrim doesn't store anything in there as far as I know. If you're talking about your mod manager settings and stuff, you should keep them.

7 minutes ago, z929669 said:

And also saves in documents?

You can keep those if you want but I wouldn't recommend loading a 1.6.x save into 1.5.97. Would be best to move them into a separate folder to avoid confusion. You can pull them out as needed later if/when you return to 1.6.x.

• Thanks 1