Prepare for the Skyrim 10th Anniversary Edition

z929669

I simply keep two game folders under Steam path:

• Skyrim Special Edition-SSE
  • Skyrim Special Edition-SAE

... then I strip off the "-S*E" via explorer for the version I want to run. I have an instance for each in MO. Very simple and clean. No tool setup changes required. They work for both instances ... all tools (DynDOLOD, ENB switcher apps, SKSE, etc.) I copied my ModOrganizer.ini from first to second instance (with some modification) and my modlist.txt and other mod list file I think. I want to keep mods separate, but wanted to start with SSE baseline for my setup as I modded SAE.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

The SkyrimSE.exe, SkyrimSELauncher.exe programs and all tools such as MO2, BethINI, LOOT, SEEdit etc. rely on a Windows registry key to automatically determine where the game is installed: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim Special Edition\installed path'.

If you rename/move the game installation folder, it can't be found anymore since the Windows registry key points to the old (standard) installation folder (i.e. .....\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition).

This may true if trying to run the game outside of MO. I once was running Fallout 4 from MO2 for a while with the broken registry link. I only found out when I ran the game from Steam that it had to re-register when launched. If you read this post, FNIS Warning: Expected generator path not found - Mod Organizer Support - Step Modifications | Change The Game they discuss more on running instances and paths.

32 minutes ago, GSDFan said:

This may true if trying to run the game outside of MO. I once was running Fallout 4 from MO2 for a while with the broken registry link. I only found out when I ran the game from Steam that it had to re-register when launched.

That's what I have observed too but didn't really investigate what was going on. The modding tools however definitely won't work in their default configuration if the registry entry is incorrect, or they'll work but they'll pick up the wrong game installation folder.

Bottom line is that if you want to have multiple game installations living side-by-side, the registry key, since it's global, can only be used for one of them at any given time. The others require manual setup. Either by renaming folders each time you want to run one of them, as suggested by z929669, or by configuring MO2. I prefer the latter approach because it's a one-time only set-and-forget operation, and I'm too lazy or forgetful to check and rename folders on a regular basis.

I'm using Z's technique as well and just temporarily removing "-SAE" or "-SSE" from the edition I want to use at the moment. It's relative easy to do with the caveat that I just need to remember to switch folders before playing.

I'm living risky I guess. I just removed all the AE stuff for now and switched out the executable + bink dll for the old one. Didn't really bother to check the new ESMs to see if there are new conflicts (probably). Haven't had an issue yet. I do have SSE in a separate folder using similar methods as described here specifically for testing Vortex, plus an addition backup. I'm kinda running low on SSD storage space LOL.

I remember when I initially setup my new PC I was thinking I have more disk space than I'll possibly ever need. Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim Legendary Editiion, Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim Anniversary Edition, Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and a boatload of Mod Organizer portable instance later are quickly eating all available disk space. I need to delete a few of the Mod Organizer portable instances that I haven't used in a while, but I just can't convince myself to do it.

1 hour ago, Greg said:

I remember when I initially setup my new PC I was thinking I have more disk space than I'll possibly ever need. Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim Legendary Editiion, Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim Anniversary Edition, Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and a boatload of Mod Organizer portable instance later are quickly eating all available disk space. I need to delete a few of the Mod Organizer portable instances that I haven't used in a while, but I just can't convince myself to do it.

I had a boat load of FO4 mods, some of which are now gone from Nexus, on a 2tb hdd. I found out a while ago that it died. I am now in the process of building a Truenas file server out of old computer parts and 8 6tb nas drives. You can never have too much storage.

The community is coming up with more creative ways to make SE/AE cohabit or to isolate SE from Steam. Here are a couple of recent ones, in case anyone is interested. I haven't tried them.

Skyrim 1.6 is supposed to get a bugfix update in the next few days.

The patch is live, here's the description:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition is available now. For more information on the Anniversary Edition, visit our article here.
Please find the update notes for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition below.

Update Version 1.6
  • PC (Steam): 5.3 GB

FIXES
  • General performance optimizations
  • Minor art and lighting fixes
  • Adjusted creation quests so they no longer start upon leaving Helgen
  • Bug fixes and balance updates to the following Creations:
    • Alternative Armors – Daedric Mail
    • Alternative Armors – Elven Hunter
    • Alternative Armors – Ebony Plate
    • Arcane Archer Pack
    • Bone Wolf
    • Dawnfang & Duskfang
    • Dead Man's Dread
    • Chrysamere
    • Civil War Champions
    • Divine Crusader
    • Forgotten Seasons
    • Goblins
    • Hendraheim
    • Myrwatch
    • Pets of Skyrim
    • Plague of the Dead
    • Rare Curios
    • Ruin’s Edge
    • Saints and Seducers
    • Saturalia
    • Spell Knight Armor
    • Staff of Sheogorath
    • Stendarr's Hammer
    • Sunder & Wraithguard
    • Survival Mode
    • Tundra Homestead

10 minutes ago, viper37 said:

The patch is live, here's the description:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition is available now. For more information on the Anniversary Edition, visit our article here.
Please find the update notes for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition below.

Update Version 1.6
  • PC (Steam): 5.3 GB

FIXES
  • General performance optimizations
  • Minor art and lighting fixes
  • Adjusted creation quests so they no longer start upon leaving Helgen
  • Bug fixes and balance updates to the following Creations:
    • Alternative Armors – Daedric Mail
    • Alternative Armors – Elven Hunter
    • Arcane Archer Pack
    • Bone Wolf
    • Dawnfang & Duskfang
    • Dead Man's Dread
    • Chrysamere
    • Civil War Champions
    • Divine Crusader
    • Forgotten Seasons
    • Goblins
    • Hendraheim
    • Myrwatch
    • Pets of Skyrim
    • Plague of the Dead
    • Rare Curios
    • Ruin’s Edge
    • Saints and Seducers
    • Saturalia
    • Spell Knight Armor
    • Staff of Sheogorath
    • Stendarr's Hammer
    • Sunder & Wraithguard
    • Survival Mode
    • Tundra Homestead

Since eight days ago...

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Bethesda has another 1.6.x bugfix update in the pipeline. Coming soon-ish I guess.

I don't have any insider information. I just monitor the build information on Steam.db. At the bottom of that page, there is a list of 'branches'. The 'lightning' branch is what Bethesda has been using for staging SAE updates. Whenever it changes that means they're working on it. Then when they release the update, the build switches over to the 'public' branch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived