Nexus Mod Removals - What's Next

TechAngel85

Nexus Mods Removals - Additional Download Sources  

32 members have voted

1. 1. On how many websites (in addition to Nexus Mods) are you willing to register to download mods for the Step Guides?

• None - Nexus Mods only or no additional registrations
    • 1-2 sites
    • 3-4 sites
    • As many sites as it takes to complete the Guide

This poll is closed to new votes

26 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

If the mods are now on ModDB, we should be linking to them there over AFK Mods. ModDB is free (no registration for downloading). Arthmoor also told me, personally, that he was planning to put his mods up on their platform:

Yeah, I assumed as much, but I wasn't positive. We can update those links then.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

If the mods are now on ModDB, we should be linking to them there over AFK Mods. ModDB is free (no registration for downloading). Arthmoor also told me, personally, that he was planning to put his mods up on their platform:

12 of his mods is up at ModDB https://www.moddb.com/members/arthmoor/mods

SRO is there so anyone following the guide will end up there.

35 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Arthmoor's mod repos are kind of a mess. He has some on Nexus, others on AFK Mods, and others on ModsDB (some on all three, I think) Example: Cutting Room Floor (SE) is on Nexus and ModsDB. Cutting Room Floor (LE) is on AFK Mods ONLY. I don't see any of his LE mods on ModsDB (which inconveniently has no author search it seems)

36 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Yeah, I assumed as much, but I wasn't positive. We can update those links then.

I think the priority should be:

1. Nexus
  2. ModDB
  3. Other no registration
  4. Other requires registration

The "others" being of equal merit until proven otherwise.

31 minutes ago, Mercury71 said:

12 of his mods is up at ModDB https://www.moddb.com/members/arthmoor/mods

SRO is there so anyone following the guide will end up there.

Thanks for the list. 

25 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Arthmoor's mod repos are kind of a mess. He has some on Nexus, others on AFK Mods, and others on ModsDB (some on all three, I think) Example: Cutting Room Floor (SE) is on Nexus and ModsDB. Cutting Room Floor (LE) is on AFK Mods ONLY. I don't see any of his LE mods on ModsDB (which inconveniently has no author search it seems)

He doesn't support LE anymore, as many other authors don't (including myself). I wouldn't be surprised if those are only available on AFK Mods from now on.

25 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

1. Nexus
  2. ModDB
  3. Other no registration

Thanks for the list. 

I belive STEP should link to ModDB rather than to AFK if possible. I dont think Arthmoore actually wants to many people to register at AFK, he risk to get way more moderation work with the forum. Just think how many he will have to ban when the queestions gets to annoying. :)

Also i guess ModDB has way better infrastructure for hosting the files.

27 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

1. Nexus
  2. ModBD
  3. Other no registration

Thanks for the list. 

He doesn't support LE anymore, as many other authors don't (including myself). I wouldn't be surprised if those are only available on AFK Mods from now on.

I agree with that prioritization.

Still, his mods are inconsistent. I don't get why he pulled SOME of his mods from Nexus and not others. I get if for mods that he is not sole author. But for Alternate Start, Cutting Room Floor, Oakwood, etc. it's totally inconsistent.

.... so, at any given time, it could all change and Nexus instance could be pulled, or AFK Mods instance. What a PITA.

20 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I agree with that prioritization.

Still, his mods are inconsistent. I don't get why he pulled SOME of his mods from Nexus and not others. I get if for mods that he is not sole author. But for Alternate Start, Cutting Room Floor, Oakwood, etc. it's totally inconsistent.

.... so, at any given time, it could all change and Nexus instance could be pulled, or AFK Mods instance. What a PITA.

Donation Points. He said as much somewhere when the Nexus Exodus was going on. They help him keep AFK Mods running and provide a coffee here and there.

29 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Donation Points. He said as much somewhere when the Nexus Exodus was going on. They help him keep AFK Mods running and provide a coffee here and there.

... so hate on the Nexus but keep using them in certain circumstances where it's beneficial. 'Principle' applies here, but not there. :huh:

4 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

1. Nexus
  2. ModDB
  3. Other no registration

Thanks for the list. 

Agreed. However,  if a no-registration file download site is sketchy (typically caused by intrusive advertisements), this rule could be bent. For instance, sites that open a pop-up telling you that your computer has a virus and you need to call an Indian scammer to give them your bank account so they can rob you blind. 

On 11/5/2021 at 5:21 AM, z929669 said:

... so hate on the Nexus but keep using them in certain circumstances where it's beneficial. 'Principle' applies here, but not there. :huh:

I can't help but feel that this is rather uncharitable and a tad reductionist.  I followed and engaged in much of the discussion around NM's policy and ToU change and one thing I noticed above all else was the willingness of people to make comments that showed how little they appreciated and understood the various nuances that exist in the domain.

Walk a mile in another person's shoes and all that.....

I was rather scathing of BigBizkit's announcement about the deletion policy change in GMAD (Nexus Mods mod author forum), not because of the change itself, but because of the objectively underhanded way NM went about implementing the changes and communicating them to the group of people that creates the free content that they use to generate revenue.

I understand the reason why NM had to implement such a change.  Unfortunately it represented a total about-face in Robin Scott's previous comments about mod authors' sovereignty over the content they upload to NM - Axonis exposed this on a number of platforms, if you're interested. 

Consequently, I requested NM delete one of my mods which contained my original writing, but all my other mods I left on NM.

Double standard?

No, because the other mods were mostly made in response to requests from the community and therefore I thought it appropriate for them to remain on NM.

So 'hate on the Nexus'' mischaracterises Arthmoor's (and many other mod authors' responses) when the prevailing opinion was more: NM should have acknowledged the nature of the relationship (NM generates revenue from free content provided by hobbyists) and engaged with mod authors in a far more ethical and responsible manner.

I think NM acknowledged this by then allowing mod authors to request deletion of their mods within a month of the policy change.

It isn't a double standard to chastise for wrongdoing but still want to contribute positively/continue to do the most good - that's a clumsy way to phrase it but I'm sure you take my point.

Archived