v1.0.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

z929669

20 hours ago, z929669 said:

If we don't instruct to do so, then there is no need. Many LE replacers can be dropped into SSE without issue. SSE meshes are not compatible with SLE, but SLE meshes are (usually) compatible with SSE.

Ah ok! All this time I was under the believe that textures and meshes were mutually incompatible. Hence my question. Thanks for edumicating me :)

The instructions for XLODGen Resource - SSE Terrain Tamriel in Step 4 say to download SSE Terrain Tamriel Extend (containing SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm) from Nexus and name the mod (TEMP) SSE Terrain - Tamriel - xLODGen. Because it's easy to miss, note that the mod name doesn't have a dash between (TEMP) and SSE.

Then in Step 5 the guide says to create an empty mod named (TEMP) - SSE Terrain - Tamriel - xLODGen. And later in the xLODGen Preparation section to download SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm from a STEP forum thread. Note that the mod name has a dash between (TEMP) and SSE.

It's obvious that only one of these mods should exist (the first one is never referenced again) but which ESM should we use?

Edited by alphaniner

9 hours ago, alphaniner said:

The instructions for XLODGen Resource - SSE Terrain Tamriel in Step 4 say to download SSE Terrain Tamriel Extend (containing SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm) from Nexus and name the mod (TEMP) SSE Terrain - Tamriel - xLODGen. Because it's easy to miss, note that the mod name doesn't have a dash between (TEMP) and SSE.

Then in Step 5 the guide says to create an empty mod named (TEMP) - SSE Terrain - Tamriel - xLODGen. And later in the xLODGen Preparation section to download SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm from a STEP forum thread. Note that the mod name has a dash between (TEMP) and SSE.

It's obvious that only one of these mods should exist (the first one is never referenced again) but which ESM should we use?

Thanks. Consistency is important, so this will be corrected shortly.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

Thanks. Consistency is important, so this will be corrected shortly.

I see some changes have been made, but unless I'm misunderstanding there are still issues.

1. The guide effectively has the user creating (TEMP) Terrain - xLODGen twice:

• First, in the instructions for XLODGen Resource - SSE Terrain Tamriel (Step 4, Section 03-Resources):

Download and install SSE Terrain Tamriel Extend. Rename the mod to (TEMP) Terrain - xLODGen so that it is easy to find and enable/disable (this will only be used as a resource for xLODGen).

• Second, in Step 5, Level of Detail (LOD) section:
  1. Click on the MO List Options button and select, [Create empty mod].
  2. Name it (TEMP) Terrain - xLODGen (this will only be used as a resource for xLODGen).

2. There's also the question of which ESM should be in (TEMP) Terrain - xLODGen:

The instructions for XLODGen Resource - SSE Terrain Tamriel directs user to download SSE Terrain Tamriel Extend which contains SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm.

The xLODGen Preparation section directs to download SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm:

1. Visit the Step Forum and download SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm.
  2. After downloading, copy the file to the (TEMP) Terrain - xLODGen mod folder in MO.

Edited by alphaniner

40 minutes ago, alphaniner said:

I see some changes have been made, but unless I'm misunderstanding there are still issues.

1. The guide effectively has the user creating (TEMP) Terrain - xLODGen twice:

• First, in the instructions for XLODGen Resource - SSE Terrain Tamriel (Step 4, Section 03-Resources):
  • Second, in Step 5, Level of Detail (LOD) section:

2. There's also the question of which ESM should be in (TEMP) Terrain - xLODGen:

The instructions for XLODGen Resource - SSE Terrain Tamriel directs user to download SSE Terrain Tamriel Extend which contains SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm.

The xLODGen Preparation section directs to download SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm:

Thanks for checking ... I believe it's all fixed now if you want to validate.

48 minutes ago, alphaniner said:

Looks good to me. But based on the xLOD thread I guessed SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm was the ESM to use, so I wonder if I should re-do LOD generation... :confusion:

It really doesn't matter much. The extended versions only add a bit of distance to the edges of the map in case there are new objects out there. There aren't for Step, but using the extended version "future proofs" this.

• 2 weeks later...

The SKSE instructions say to configure the SKSE launcher to send output to the SKSE64 mod folder. I chose not to do this*, but I assume it will make everything that would normally go into Overwrite go to the SKSE64 folder. Anyway, later in the First Launch section of the guide there's something that suggests things will still be found in Overwrite:

Finally, INI files may appear in their [sic] Overwrite folder after closing the game (e.g. ../SKSE/Plugins/SkyrimUncapper.ini). NOTE: These files should be moved to their respective mod folders, respecting their folder structure in the move.

* Even if all possible output comes from SKSE dependent mods, sending it to an actual mod (as opposed to a 'dummy mod' like xEdit Output) just seems like bad practice IMO. And regardless of where it's sent, you lose the notification/warning when things end up in Overwrite. Not to mention, given that it's one of the first mods set up in the guide, I certainly would have forgotten and wondered why nothing was ever sent to Overwrite. :confused:

I see we removed that instruction from the guide, but did not update the reference image. I have created an updated reference image that doesn't have that shown.

42 minutes ago, alphaniner said:

The SKSE instructions say to configure the SKSE launcher to send output to the SKSE64 mod folder. I chose not to do this*, but I assume it will make everything that would normally go into Overwrite go to the SKSE64 folder. Anyway, later in the First Launch section of the guide there's something that suggests things will still be found in Overwrite:

* Even if all possible output comes from SKSE dependent mods, sending it to an actual mod (as opposed to a 'dummy mod' like xEdit Output) just seems like bad practice IMO. And regardless of where it's sent, you lose the notification/warning when things end up in Overwrite. Not to mention, given that it's one of the first mods set up in the guide, I certainly would have forgotten and wondered why nothing was ever sent to Overwrite. :confused:

18 minutes ago, FireCulex said:

Installed Survival Mode (CC) __ CACO patch due to Survival Mode being included in AE, WoW Dragon Mounds CTD Fix to prevent crashing, and Unofficial Skyrim Creation Club Content Patches per USSEP

As stated prominently at the top of the guide, 1.0.0 is not supported under Skyrim.exe 1.6+ (including AE) so this is irrelevant to the guide.

Hoy! 
Found a small inconsistence, i think.

When you are directed to install xLODGen , there isn't any moment of prompting to create an "Step SkrimSE - xLODGen Output" Empty Mod. 
Later, o Step 5, it asks you to move some files into this empty mod, as if it was asked to be created beforehand. 
It's a small, easly to understand what is needed to do, thing, but as for consistance, it could be better to have a explanation to create the "Empty Mod" on STEP 2.

It's nothing big, but it could make some ppl confuse, so cover all the possible erros.

Unless it's already stated somewhere else, bu, i couldn't find it =Z

Edit: ~ And now, after i posted i found that we had a prompt to create xLODGen Output before , and that is never used. So i imagine that it wouyld be Step SkyrimSE - xLODGen Output that, Step 5 refers to. 
As i said, is something really freaking small, but can cause some confusion.

Edited by FuzzyDuck

4 hours ago, FuzzyDuck said:

Hoy! 
Found a small inconsistence, i think.

When you are directed to install xLODGen , there isn't any moment of prompting to create an "Step SkrimSE - xLODGen Output" Empty Mod. 
Later, o Step 5, it asks you to move some files into this empty mod, as if it was asked to be created beforehand. 
It's a small, easly to understand what is needed to do, thing, but as for consistance, it could be better to have a explanation to create the "Empty Mod" on STEP 2.

It's nothing big, but it could make some ppl confuse, so cover all the possible erros.

Unless it's already stated somewhere else, bu, i couldn't find it =Z

Edit: ~ And now, after i posted i found that we had a prompt to create xLODGen Output before , and that is never used. So i imagine that it wouyld be Step SkyrimSE - xLODGen Output that, Step 5 refers to. 
As i said, is something really freaking small, but can cause some confusion.

I'm in the process of revising this in all guides. It requires a bit of work to make everything clear and cohesive.