Stuttering with No Grass in Objects

S-Matrix

I finally figured out this whole Worldspace####x####y bit naming structure of the grass cache files. So in xEdit expand the worldspace, and the blocks and subblocks. The Name column is the x y coordinates used. So, for example, DarkwaterWorldx0025y-012 is DarkwaterWorld < 25, -12 >. Grass is generated for DarkwaterWorldx0025y-012 because its Landscape record contains the Landscape Texture LRocks01, which contains a grass (RockGrass01). Only cells that actually contain grass will receive a gid cache file. So, we should be able to parse out all the cells and required grass cache files necessary against the load order, which can spit out only the cells that contain grass, via an xEdit script.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

I finally figured out this whole Worldspace####x####y bit naming structure of the grass cache files. So in xEdit expand the worldspace, and the blocks and subblocks. The Name column is the x y coordinates used. So, for example, DarkwaterWorldx0025y-012 is DarkwaterWorld < 25, -12 >. Grass is generated for DarkwaterWorldx0025y-012 because its Landscape record contains the Landscape Texture LRocks01, which contains a grass (RockGrass01). Only cells that actually contain grass will receive a gid cache file. So, we should be able to parse out all the cells and required grass cache files necessary against the load order, which can spit out only the cells that contain grass, via an xEdit script.

Are you saying that grass is normally generated for all cells unless or that all cells normally get a gid cache file? Couldn't the existing Py script be used directly or at least run to get the list?

Maybe I'm making invalid assumptions.

We should be able to make such a list via a script of all the grass cache files to be made. The script does not yet exist as far as I can see. You would need to account for mods that alter the landscape, or that add worldspaces/worldspace cells. 

Try UseGrassCache=True, OnlyLoadFromCache=True, RayCast=False (after cache has been generated), ExtendGrassDistance=False, DynDOLODGrassMode=1 Do performance tests with vanilla game and vanilla INI settings. There won't be any stutter loading the full grass from the cache. If loading gid files does not stutter, then loading cgid files should not stutter either.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sheson said:

Try UseGrassCache=True, OnlyLoadFromCache=True, RayCast=False (after cache has been generated), ExtendGrassDistance=False, DynDOLODGrassMode=1 Do performance tests with vanilla game and vanilla INI settings. There won't be any stutter loading the full grass from the cache. If loading gid files does not stutter, then loading cgid files should not stutter either.

Tried that already. That's exactly the test I did a few posts ago. It shouldn't be the case, agreed, but it is. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 12:21 PM, DoubleYou said:

I just tested again to be sure, and same stutter as in my post. It's exactly the same stuff, so it should be the same? I don't understand why it is different.

So, is the only solution still to just rename everything? Would Sheson's suggested settings at least REDUCE encountered stuttering? Appreciate you keeping this thread alive for a good while, this is something I'd really like to figure out as well.

17 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

No change. If I can't get the bug fixed in NGIO, I will make a mod to make this easy. I have already developed an alternative method of effectively removing the erroneous grass cache files from Skyrim - Misc.bsa.

Keep me posted on your decisions and progress, if it isn't too much trouble - I'd really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 1:20 AM, DoubleYou said:

No change. If I can't get the bug fixed in NGIO, I will make a mod to make this easy. I have already developed an alternative method of effectively removing the erroneous grass cache files from Skyrim - Misc.bsa.

Just saw the NGIO update to v7, crediting you with the fix for the stuttering on cell change. You're a hero!

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread from a time where NGIO had a bug causing stutter, which is no longer applicable. If you get stutter now, it is likely due to an incorrect setup. Without more information, it is impossible to find out why you may be experiencing stutter, but it is most likely due to too high of settings for your hardware. Additional information about the NGIO settings and what they do can be found here: https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:Grass_LOD_Guide#NGIO