8 minutes ago, Majorman said:

@z929669 OK, thank for being so patient and thorough in your explanations.

I have experience with the STE-style guides, as I have followed STEP 2.10 for Skyrim LE about 2 years ago and I know they are working. I've used it as reference whenever I had doubts about mod grouping, because at least LE mods ring a bell. 

If you think that the classification needs adjustment, I can give you editting rights for the Google doc, so you can adjust it on the fly (just provide me an e-mail). 

We can just use the text file you posted if that works. That is what I will be using to batch-create pages anyway.

I really should have posted all of the stuff about access on our admin forums, but oh well. It's good to bear this stuff to the community at times. It may invoke interest from potential interested parties ... I sometimes get ahead of even myself.

49 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Yes, but that is in same mod group, so I suspect we put that one under Foundation so that we can order it after Particle Patch. As I stated previously, we first assign mods into proper logical group. If > 1 group applies, then we use that group which allows us to minimize conflict resolution. Then we order in each group alphabetically except where we want to minimize conflict resolution within that group.

Yep, that's exactly what was done for DynDOLOD Resources. Logically one thinks it would be in "Resources", but that's not really what "Resources" are for. Resources are mods that can be used by authors to expand functionality in some way. These are APIs and Frameworks that authors plug into. Typically these are mods that don't actually do anything on their own.

With this in mind, DynDOLOD Resource is one part "Resources" and one part "Foundation". It's Resources because it contains files that help DynDOLOD process LOD. It's Foundation because it contains vanilla assets that should be overwritten by the majority of other mods. Since it could be put in both and it needs to overwrite a mod in Foundation, its chosen placement is "Foundation". I hope that explanation helps to understand hope choosing a mod group works. 

49 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Please see other propositions above:

• Giving Majorman access to Step wiki group
  • Getting Majorman into a forum staff group so that he can access guide DEV forums

I need seconded for both Majorman and @Darklocq and possibly @boycad (if he has seen my post on his guide talk page and is up for creating his guide properly via the infrastructure ... with our assistance of course)

@z929669
I'm fine with these proposals.

22 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Yep, that's exactly what was done for DynDOLOD Resources. Logically one thinks it would be in "Resources", but that's not really what "Resources" are for. Resources are mods that can be used by authors to expand functionality in some way. These are APIs and Frameworks that authors plug into. Typically these are mods that don't actually do anything on their own.

With this in mind, DynDOLOD Resource is one part "Resources" and one part "Foundation". It's Resources because it contains files that help DynDOLOD process LOD. It's Foundation because it contains vanilla assets that should be overwritten by the majority of other mods. Since it could be put in both and it needs to overwrite a mod in Foundation, its chosen placement is "Foundation". I hope that explanation helps to understand hope choosing a mod group works. 

@z929669
I'm fine with these proposals.

OK, Will set this up then.

@Majorman @Darklocq Since we may be revising some of our wiki groups to better articulate with the forums, give us a couple of days to complete the work.

@MajormanI created new game-specific wiki roles and changed you to the falloutnv role. You shouldn't notice any difference in your ability to edit pages in that 'game'space, but do let me know if otherwise.

We will have the forum roles defined soon.

On 6/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, z929669 said:

Tech will need to approve these sources though. I approve - My feeling is that if it's available from a CDN or legit online source, then it's fair game. We don't advocate illegal distribution of copy-protected work, but if we aren't providing it, and it's freely available from a 'reliable' source (meaning that it's not a torrent site or other transient resource), then it's ok for us to point to. Also, I don't have any info on the copyright status of macintroll's mods and could not find anything outside of second-hand commentary and insinuation. I think it's assumed copyright 'protected' given no specifics on that.

I agree with your assumption that it would fall under copyright law, if no other license is provided. If license is provided, then do whatever it says you can do (varies by license). I would only link to such sources if they are provided by or approved by the author. That is the only safe way to going about it. Anything else and you're in the gray zone approaching the line, imo. With recent court cases around sharing things like this (Nintendo and such), I would think it best to simply avoid it.

... and that's why I wanted a second opinion. Although I don't think linking to a resource makes us liable for sharing. It's no torrent, so that's on the host.

Leaving it alone entirely also makes sense.

9 hours ago, z929669 said:

@MajormanI created new game-specific wiki roles and changed you to the falloutnv role. You shouldn't notice any difference in your ability to edit pages in that 'game'space, but do let me know if otherwise.

We will have the forum roles defined soon.

It seems I have no editing rights at the moment. I can still create pages, but the "Recommendations" tab is unresponsive, i.e. I cannot write in it.

@z929669 IIRC the Mod Form's Recommendations is restricted to STEP in the form itself, so the Form will need updated for the new role. 

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

@z929669 IIRC the Mod Form's Recommendations is restricted to STEP in the form itself, so the Form will need updated for the new role. 

Ahh yes. It is protected. I will reset perms and work on this more today

2 hours ago, Majorman said:

It seems I have no editing rights at the moment. I can still create pages, but the "Recommendations" tab is unresponsive, i.e. I cannot write in it.

Will fix in a bit from work. Headed out the door right now.

I see now that I must make a change to the server side to allow edits to Form pages, so this won't be fixed until this evening.

In the meantime, I'm giving you the previous perms you had so you can get things done.

Topic moved

Just to keep you posted guys, I've moved all LOD mods to "Foundation". I'll keep the Google doc up-to-date with the recent changes, I believe it will be easier for you to analyze. Once you give the project a green light, I'll provide an updated list of mods for the batch-creation, so that everything will get sorted in the correct mod group. 

In the meantime I will keep adding mods manually, starting with the ones that need the most detailed instructions (hence-most work). 

23 minutes ago, Majorman said:

Just to keep you posted guys, I've moved all LOD mods to "Foundation". I'll keep the Google doc up-to-date with the recent changes, I believe it will be easier for you to analyze. Once you give the project a green light, I'll provide an updated list of mods for the batch-creation, so that everything will get sorted in the correct mod group. 

In the meantime I will keep adding mods manually, starting with the ones that need the most detailed instructions (hence-most work). 

ok, then you probably should add all of us to your Google Doc or put it on the wiki? Then we can all edit without sharing emails. Unless you open it up for anonymous, which would be golden.

It seems that Google no longer allows to make a file fully public. I'll need your e-mail (and the e-mails of other interested parties) in order to give you access. Alternatively, I can put the Excel on the Wiki, if you tell me how to. You know what, I'll attach it to this message, so you can put it yourself. Just ignore the "lStewieAl" and "Untested" sheets for now.

FNV Modlist.xlsx

33 minutes ago, Majorman said:

It seems that Google no longer allows to make a file fully public. I'll need your e-mail (and the e-mails of other interested parties) in order to give you access. Alternatively, I can put the Excel on the Wiki, if you tell me how to. You know what, I'll attach it to this message, so you can put it yourself. Just ignore the "lStewieAl" and "Untested" sheets for now.

FNV Modlist.xlsx 51.17 kB · 0 downloads

This works. It's pretty small. If you need to update it, just re-post by saving as CSV from Excel and it would be half the size. I have fixed perms as well, so let me know if you are unable to edit mod pages or do anything else you need to do.