Update of master file during a playthrough

Wolfstorm321

Question

I have a 8.7mb plugin (made in the CK) and was thinking about esmifying it in Wrye Bash, or through a script in xEdit, due to its large size. 

However, I'm not sure if a ESM can be updated in the middle of a playthrough, or if it requires a new playthrough in order to be updated. Some mods which relies in a master file (eg, Forgotten Dungeons) requires a new playthrough to be updated, but I didn't found any information about this requirement as being a rule to every mod.

Would the update of a ESM file during a playthrough cause save file corruption? 

If this is the case, would a update only on the tables (but not on the cells) still cause save file corruption? If I only add new pieces of statics to the tables, but do the cell update in a separate plugin, would this still pose some risk to the save file? 

Would putting a ESM flag in the ESP be a better solution for updates? 

1 answer to this question

6 hours ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

I have a 8.7mb plugin (made in the CK) and was thinking about esmifying it in Wrye Bash, or through a script in xEdit, due to its large size. 

However, I'm not sure if a ESM can be updated in the middle of a playthrough, or if it requires a new playthrough in order to be updated. Some mods which relies in a master file (eg, Forgotten Dungeons) requires a new playthrough to be updated, but I didn't found any information about this requirement as being a rule to every mod.

Would the update of a ESM file during a playthrough cause save file corruption? 

If this is the case, would a update only on the tables (but not on the cells) still cause save file corruption? If I only add new pieces of statics to the tables, but do the cell update in a separate plugin, would this still pose some risk to the save file? 

Would putting a ESM flag in the ESP be a better solution for updates? 

I don't think it's a problem if all changes are forwarded. I would save the ESP and try the ESM to see.