New Profile. Now Letterbox on sides, can't change in ini.

Darklustre

Question

I am starting a new profile but for some reason it wants to load the game with large black boxes on the left and right of the screen. It's no longer fullscreen and I can't see why if I haven't changed anything. I tried deleting the ini.pref files and letting it remake it. This doesn't work. I tried changing the settings to 1920/1080 and it says my screen doesn't support that, even though that is what it's set to. 

Could someone please give me some advice about what to do to fix this? I can't play like this. I feel like a horse with blinders on!

Wow thank you for the incredibly-fast reply!

It's on Skyrim LE.  This is the ini that got created after the game refused the setting I tried to force it to. 

Spoiler

[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
iRadialBlurLevel=2
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=8000.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=16
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=10000000.0000
fGamma=1.0000
fDecalLOD2=1500.0000
fDecalLOD1=1000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=2000.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000
fLightLODStartFade=3500.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=0
iMultiSample=8
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=0
bDrawLandShadows=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1024
iSize W=1280
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=10000000.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000000.0000
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
bFloatPointRenderTarget=0
sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080"
bFXAAEnabled=0
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.1500
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iAdapter=0
iPresentInterval=1
iShadowFilter=3
bShadowsOnGrass=1
bTransparencyMultisampling=0
bDeferredShadows=1
bDrawShadows=1
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=0
fGrassStartFadeDistance=6300.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=1
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=1.0000
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=1
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iDifficulty=2
[Interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=0
bGeneralSubtitles=0
fMouseCursorSpeed=1.0000
bShowCompass=1
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0125
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=1
bMouseAcceleration=1
bUseKinect=0
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=750
[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=472312573
fVal6=1.0000
uID6=3954
fVal5=0.6000
uID5=755390577
fVal4=0.7000
uID4=754976861
fVal3=0.6000
uID3=94881
fVal2=0.2500
uID2=466532
fVal1=1.0000
uID1=554685
fVal0=0.3000
uID0=1007612
[Clouds]
fCloudLevel2Distance=262144.0000
fCloudLevel1Distance=32768.0000
fCloudLevel0Distance=16384.0000
fCloudNearFadeDistance=9000.0000
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000
bShowLODInEditor=0
[NavMesh]
fObstacleAlpha=0.5000
fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000
fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500
fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000
fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500
fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000
fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000
fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500
fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000
fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25.0000
fEdgeDistFromVert=10.0000
fEdgeThickness=10.0000
fPointSize=2.5000
[Trees]
bRenderSkinnedTrees=1
uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=1000
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxSkinDecals=100
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=60
[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=11.5000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultSkyCell=1.0000
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
bShowAllResolutions=1
uLastAspectRatio=1
[BlurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=1
[BlurShader]
bUseBlurShader=0
[Water]
iWaterReflectHeight=512
iWaterReflectWidth=512
bUseWaterDisplacements=1
bUseWaterRefractions=1
bUseWaterReflections=1
bUseWaterDepth=1

It looks as if settings should be correct to run in full screen mode at 1024x1280.Do you also have Intel video and is it possible the game is trying to use the Intel video by mistake?

bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1024
iSize W=1280
iAdapter=0
sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080"

I have no idea. I don't know why it would. The other profile runs just fine. I still have two inches of black on either side of my screen though. I am having other problems with MO2. It recently said to update Loot so I followed some videos (Dirty Weasel, I think) and uninstalled Loot from the folder it was in, then reinstalled the new version. Now when I try to run Loot from MO2 it pulls up the application but it doesn't recognize any of my games or my User Data, even though I was careful to select retaining that. 

You are suffering from a classic conflation of "too many factors". Please read and follow our setup guide to get a stable base game and to configure modding tools correctly.

Understand the differences in how MO can be installed and used. Understand how profiles and 'instances' work. Copying a profile versus creating a new one. Installing and initializing Skyrim for the first time.

I would remove the new profile, and copy the existing profile into a new one and go from there. 

As for LOOT, are you referring to the LOOT built-in to MO2, or the standalone application that you can run through MO2? And what video did you follow? It may have been out of date. 

I created the new profile so I could change the mods I was using from the other profile. I wanted to try SkyRe. If I remove it and copy the other one, I'll lose this mod set up. Or do you mean to copy this one and create another new one with this copy? This one was created new, not a copy.

I'm talking about the Loot in MO2 that I used a GamerPoets video to install and then used Loot to configure a path to. I tried another video to update it, since it no longer worked without updating it. I was guided to go to the folder it was in, uninstall Loot, and then install the new version to the same folder. The files seem all in there. I made sure to keep my user data and settings. I even made sure that MO2 was still pointed at that Loot. It initializes Loot fine, but everything is greyed out. Loot doesn't recognize any games and no mods or anything show. I'm baffled about what could be wrong with that.

If you mean LOOT in the ModOrganizer\LOOT folder that contains loot.dll and lootcli.exe, you may run into issues if you attempt to update it if LOOT has changed significantly. I suggest hopping over to the Tool Setup portion of the guide and installing the full version of LOOT. Also note that you need to include the --game="Skyrim Special Edition" parameter to LOOT so it knows which game you are using.

I'm not using SE, I'm using LE. I created my Loot directory in a modding folder I keep under C:. I updated it there and then just made sure that the directory was configured so I could use the drop down menu in MO2 to start it. 

Thanks DoubleYou! I tried your suggestion and there is no more cut off screen. Much appreciated.

Edit: Ok so now I've just had a new issue that I've never had in the hundreds of times I've played on this setup. I got a Frostfall error message that said I need to go to: Mod Organizer/overwrite/SKSE/Plugins and add a folder for "FrostfallData". Did something happen when I copied the profile? Can anyone tell me where this is located? I've found Mod Organizer in my Modding folder where I installed it, but no overwrite, or SKSE in it. There is a plugins. 

image.thumb.png.594258a1d5027c4f99ca939a4631ac4c.png

Edited by Darklustre

On 5/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, Greg said:

If you mean LOOT in the ModOrganizer\LOOT folder that contains loot.dll and lootcli.exe, you may run into issues if you attempt to update it if LOOT has changed significantly. I suggest hopping over to the Tool Setup portion of the guide and installing the full version of LOOT. Also note that you need to include the --game="Skyrim Special Edition" parameter to LOOT so it knows which game you are using.

Can you link me to the one for LE? Do you have any ideas how to fix what went wrong with the Loot I updated? It's working and linked to the executable in MO2. It is just not recognizing game data. I would love some help if you have any ideas.

45 minutes ago, Darklustre said:

Can you link me to the one for LE? Do you have any ideas how to fix what went wrong with the Loot I updated? It's working and linked to the executable in MO2. It is just not recognizing game data. I would love some help if you have any ideas.

See this

You REALLY should read the setup guide I linked. All of the answers are there for the Frostfall profile issue you are having as well as many of the other issues you are likely to run into. Otherwise, we will be unnecessarily troubleshooting your issues that are almost certainly related to your setup. Hence, look at our recommendations for said setup, which is why we created the guide.

It does require reading, which I know many people hate to do ... but it beats typing, which is what you and we all have to do (redundantly) in order to support what is otherwise documented precisely to alleviate our having to do so. :)

If you have any trouble understanding a relevant aspect of the setup guide, certainly, you should post to get clarification, which helps to improve the article.

6 minutes ago, z929669 said:

See this

You REALLY should read the setup guide I linked. All of the answers are there for the Frostfall profile issue you are having as well as many of the other issues you are likely to run into. Otherwise, we will be unnecessarily troubleshooting your issues that are almost certainly related to your setup. Hence, look at our recommendations for said setup, which is why we created the guide.

It does require reading, which I know many people hate to do ... but it beats typing, which is what you and we all have to do (redundantly) in order to support what is otherwise documented precisely to alleviate our having to do so. :)

If you have any trouble understanding a relevant aspect of the setup guide, certainly, you should post to get clarification, which helps to improve the article.

Thank you. I have been reading it but I feel like I'm drowning in it. I've had this MO2 up and running for years, so I don't even know where the problem is or what I should be focusing on. I'm not sure how to identify what the issues I'm having are. I was hoping for some more pointed instructions so I'm not left reading a How To from the very start up. I'm looking the link you gave me over again but I just feel overwhelmed. 

Is there a way to identify the issues I'm having? I don't think it's with my MO2 set up because it's worked fine for years. Other than wiping everything and starting again for the problems I'm currently having, I don't know what else to do with the link you're giving me? If you can help me pinpoint it a bit, that would really help.

As for the Loot problem I'm having, I think this would help but I'm not sure what it's telling me to do. Could you explain?  If LOOT cannot find the game directory, add the path to ./Skyrim folder to Installed Path under LOOT settings.  

Edited by Darklustre

1 hour ago, Darklustre said:

Thank you. I have been reading it but I feel like I'm drowning in it. I've had this MO2 up and running for years, so I don't even know where the problem is or what I should be focusing on. I'm not sure how to identify what the issues I'm having are. I was hoping for some more pointed instructions so I'm not left reading a How To from the very start up. I'm looking the link you gave me over again but I just feel overwhelmed. 

Is there a way to identify the issues I'm having? I don't think it's with my MO2 set up because it's worked fine for years. Other than wiping everything and starting again for the problems I'm currently having, I don't know what else to do with the link you're giving me? If you can help me pinpoint it a bit, that would really help.

As for the Loot problem I'm having, I think this would help but I'm not sure what it's telling me to do. Could you explain?  If LOOT cannot find the game directory, add the path to ./Skyrim folder to Installed Path under LOOT settings.  

I think your issues may be related to where you are installing things (under UAC-protected dirs), and we don't advise anyone how to get around that other than using a different location (it's related to Windows security/ownership settings). We set everything up under Drive:Modding (as the guide indicates at very beginning). Just look at the table of contents to jump to relevant areas. I think you should be going over that entire guide step by step to verify your setup against what we recommend. Tools installed in path outside of UAT and as 'standalone' apps.

The other potential issue is how you have MO2 installed and configured. That can easily be referenced as well (standalone vs portable, descriptions of profiles and instances). We have links to all of the pertinent instructions.

For LOOT, just open LOOT and go into the settings at upper right. Be sure your paths are correct for the games of interest.

All of your issues should be resolved if you go through that guide from top to bottom. You can obviously skip over parts that you know are already correct or not applicable.

22 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I think your issues may be related to where you are installing things (under UAC-protected dirs), and we don't advise anyone how to get around that other than using a different location (it's related to Windows security/ownership settings). We set everything up under Drive:Modding (as the guide indicates at very beginning). Just look at the table of contents to jump to relevant areas. I think you should be going over that entire guide step by step to verify your setup against what we recommend. Tools installed in path outside of UAT and as 'standalone' apps.

The other potential issue is how you have MO2 installed and configured. That can easily be referenced as well (standalone vs portable, descriptions of profiles and instances). We have links to all of the pertinent instructions.

For LOOT, just open LOOT and go into the settings at upper right. Be sure your paths are correct for the games of interest.

All of your issues should be resolved if you go through that guide from top to bottom. You can obviously skip over parts that you know are already correct or not applicable.

I don't understand why you think that the issue is where I have things installed. I said that I have LOOT installed under the Modding folder in C: in this thread. Is that not where you just said it should be, or am I misunderstanding something?

What you're saying about LOOT isn't making sense. Do I open LOOT with MO2 and change something in MO2, like the configurable path? Do you mean I open up Loot.exe in the folder under Modding? Either way I can't see where I am supposed to put ./Skyrim. I'm really not understanding the way it's phrased. Could you explain more clearly? This is really complicated to me.

This is what I'm seeing when I try to initialize LOOT from the folder. Maybe you can see if there is something wrong with the installation, or the folder I have it in isn't what is recommended. 

I'll also add a screenshot of what I have in MO2. 
image.thumb.png.57799a6d854f4c23347a53e887366ed6.png

image.thumb.png.7a6dcb9fc7965272179daac1ee53fa98.png

Edited by Darklustre

48 minutes ago, Darklustre said:

I don't understand why you think that the issue is where I have things installed. I said that I have LOOT installed under the Modding folder in C: in this thread. Is that not where you just said it should be, or am I misunderstanding something?

What you're saying about LOOT isn't making sense. Do I open LOOT with MO2 and change something in MO2, like the configurable path? Do you mean I open up Loot.exe in the folder under Modding? Either way I can't see where I am supposed to put ./Skyrim. I'm really not understanding the way it's phrased. Could you explain more clearly? This is really complicated to me.

This is what I'm seeing when I try to initialize LOOT from the folder. Maybe you can see if there is something wrong with the installation, or the folder I have it in isn't what is recommended. 

I'll also add a screenshot of what I have in MO2. 
image.thumb.png.57799a6d854f4c23347a53e887366ed6.png

image.thumb.png.7a6dcb9fc7965272179daac1ee53fa98.png

Run LOOT from MO as normal. You have it set up correctly in MO

Click the ellipse in upper right of LOOT app. Configure paths

./Skyrim is common relative path notation for "folder in current directory", in this case, named Skyrim. Technically, it is better to use ../Skyrim relative path, since that generally means "relative path in directory above current directory" ... or ../../../Skyrim is three dirs above and so on. We don't know where every user has installed steam, so we just use ../Skyrim.