Issue with LodGen - STEP 5

Jordles

Hi all, new to the forum and to STEP modding in general, hopefully this isn't too difficult of a problem to solve. I've just about finished with the STEP guide and I'm on the Level of Detail step, but I can't run LodGen. When I try, I get the error message "Fatal: Could not open registry key: \SOFTWARE\BethesdaSoftworks\Fallout4 This can happen after Steam updates, run the game's launcher to restore registry settings"

I'm very new to modding and not very confident with anything, but I've followed the STEP guide to the letter. FO4 isn't even installed and I'm not sure why it's looking for FO4, in a folder that doesn't exist, for a Skyrim install. 

The only thing I can think that might have affected it is the fact that I moved the initial MO2 installation to a different drive - however, I've updated all the filepaths to refer to the correct directories. I've added the argument -sse to the command line in MO2 but this hasn't helped - I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, but it's beyond my meagre abilities to figure it out. Any ideas?

It sounds like you grabbed the wrong version(s) of the software. Exactly what part of LODGen process is failing? There are 4 steps (terrain [xLODGen64.exe], TexGen [TexGen64.exe w/DynDOLOD], DynDOLOD [DynDOLOD64.exe], Occlusion [xLODGen64.exe]), and all of them rely on the 'LODGen' app but come packaged with their own compatible versions of that. These downloads also can have multiple versions specific to different games (SE/LE/FO4/etc.)

Please look back at each section under LODGen in the guide (and 03-Resources and Tools in the Skyrim Sertup Guide) and follow those links to the Nexus or posts with the software. Some of the sources have multiple downloads, so you need to carefully read the instructions/links.

Also go back to the top of the guide to "Tool Setup Reference for Skyrim SE" and you'll see the executable configurations for DynDOLOD64.exe and TexGen64.exe both need a -SSE parameter to tell these executable to use Skyrim Special Edition. Here is a screenshot of my configuration for DynDOLOD

image.png

@Greg Thanks for adding that bit. I didn't think of it, and it could be the issue. Much faster to resolve than perusing each of the sources.

Also, did you know MO has a theme switcher now with at least one dark theme? No need for that horrific white nonsense anymore