Can Not Copy Resource / The system cannot find the path specified

ravenRpg38

Question

• Answers 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This exact error just happened to me after a Windows 10 update. Thanks to this post, I found the problem. TexGen is not being logged as a threat, but Windows is blocking it anyway. I fixed it by doing the following:

• Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection 
  • Scroll down to Virus & threat protection settings, then click "manage settings"
  • Scroll down to Exclusions, then click "add or remove exclusions"
  • Click the button to add an exclusion, then choose "process"
  • Type "TexGenx64.exe" , then click add. 

These are the steps I followed to allow TexGen to write files. Running it in admin and giving it the permission per user didn't fix anything, I had to go through Windows' junk. :)

z929669: PS: Those running a decent 3rd party AV will likely not have these issues. It's Windows OS native security that causes the issue most likely:

image.png

All, this is like THE most common error people are reporting. It's most likely related to Win OS UAC or AV. You will need to install the tools in a location that is not under UAC control and possibly set an exception for TexGenx64.exe (and possibly DynDOLODx64.exe) in your AV.

See System Setup Guide and search the DynDOLOD topic for "system cannot find the path specified"

This issue has been reported at least 50x as have the resolutions.

Just posting this here is case it might help someone.

I was having this problem but with a different file and it took me a while to finally clue into what was happening.  The way my system is setup is MO2 and all the tools are installed on C: but all my MO2 game profiles, mods, and stuff are installed on E:  I had all the AV exclusions for MO2 and tools (located on C:) in place but none for the MO2 folder on E: where everything is written.  Once I put that exclusion in place everything worked fine.

It was a bit of a mind **** because if I disabled all the mods everything worked fine (before the fix).  The error only happened when certain mods were installed so for the longest time I thought is was a mod. 

Edited by Baboo77

The message "the system can not find the path specified" means that the OS told the program that the path does not exist. In case it actually does, it typically means the OS, UAC, anti vir or some other crapware prevents access.

https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Can-Not-Copy-Resource

Post the entire log. Post the bugreport if it exists. https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs

Open load order in xEdit, start assets browser with CTRL+F3, type impextwall01_n.dds into filter field, it should at least show Skryim - Textures4.bsa as container. 

Right click the listed file and select Saves as from the first container listed. 

If all that does work, then the problem is not the source but the destination. The OS, UAC, anti vir or some other crap ware prevents TexGen from writing the texture to G:\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\DynDOLOD-temp\textures\dungeons\imperial\

Even if I add dyndolod and tex gen to the exclusions list?

Another thing, last night I decided to test texgen by running with no mods active and it finished it's cycle with no errors. With mods active I get the error

So I did what you said and the bsa was there in xedit

If it works without mods, then probably a mod is problem. As explained the asset browser list all containers for the file which can help identify the mod if all containers are BSA files. Loose files are in the "container" data.

Have you actually tried to save the file from the first BSA or Data in xEdit Asset Browser as suggested. With mods enabled of course.

All a program can do is reprint the system (OS) error message.

I am running texgen now as I type this. I googled a bunch of antivirus and uac exclusion stuff and rearranged some of that stuff. I've never had a problem before like this one because I've always added things like bethini, mo2, and such to the firewall exclusion list. I came across something that even adding certain programs to the firewall is not enough nor is running as admin. So far it's been running for a few minutes and I'll update here once it finishes whether it completes or gives another error. I thought of doing the mod test take away some and run until finding the mod in question. 

In regards to your comment about copying the impex.dds before posting last night I found (or hoped that I found) every file concerning the impex.dds and hid the file to see but error still. Either way I may have fixed my problem with adding texgen and dyndolod to my uac

update, it worked succesfully after adding both exe to the uac 

When running Texgen I get this error.

Error copying textures\dungeons\imperial\impwall05_n.dds to F:\Modding\Manual Mods\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\DynDOLOD-temp\textures\dungeons\imperial\impwall05ice_n.dds The system cannot find the path specified

I had used texgen a few weeks before with no problem so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

wait... for some reason having Noble Skyrim, aMidianBorn Buildings and Landscapes SE or Landscapes - Cathedral Concept active when I use texgen i get the error. I don't know why this is happening?

EDIT

ok now it doesn't work even if they are deactivated

Read the log messages and follow their suggestions.

The message "the system can not find the path specified" means that the OS told the program that the path does not exist. In case it actually does, it typically means the OS, UAC, anti vir or some other crapware prevents access.

On 3/28/2021 at 2:13 PM, ravenRpg38 said:

I am running texgen now as I type this. I googled a bunch of antivirus and uac exclusion stuff and rearranged some of that stuff. I've never had a problem before like this one because I've always added things like bethini, mo2, and such to the firewall exclusion list. I came across something that even adding certain programs to the firewall is not enough nor is running as admin. So far it's been running for a few minutes and I'll update here once it finishes whether it completes or gives another error. I thought of doing the mod test take away some and run until finding the mod in question. 

In regards to your comment about copying the impex.dds before posting last night I found (or hoped that I found) every file concerning the impex.dds and hid the file to see but error still. Either way I may have fixed my problem with adding texgen and dyndolod to my uac

update, it worked succesfully after adding both exe to the uac 

What steps did you take exactly? I am running into the exact same problem, and I am currently trying to figure out what is causing it.

2 hours ago, asebw said:

What steps did you take exactly? I am running into the exact same problem, and I am currently trying to figure out what is causing it.

Had the same issue. Never seen this before. Does it have to do with latest Windows 10 update maby?

Solved it by adding both DynDOLOD64.exe and TexGen64.exe as exceptions in the rules for Windows antivirus as stated above.

Edited by Mercury71