Lost track of save games

OH72

Question

Played SSE yesterday without a problem. Started the game through MO2's SKSE for SSE today, and suddenly the only savegames I am shown are some cloud saves that seem to have happened while testing mods.

The save games are in MyGames, and by now, I've also copied them into a profile-specific folder in MO2's appdata, they are SHOWN in the savegames tab of MO2, but the game will find neither copy when started, only the always same two saves, and none of the 25 regular saves plus my three autosaves plus a quicksave that are there.

Any ideas?

Run Mod Organizer 2, click Configure Profiles (at the top left that looks like a contact card), select the profile you are using, check or uncheck "Use profile-specific Save Games" (basically reverse the setting) and click Close to see if your saves are accessible in game now.

The default is unchecked so your saves are stored in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Skyrim Special Edition\Saves. If this option is checked, the saves are in your profile folder in Mod Organizer.

Run Mod Organizer 2, click Configure Profiles (at the top left that looks like a contact card), select the profile you are using, check or uncheck "Use profile-specific Save Games" (basically reverse the setting) and click Close to see if your saves are accessible in game now.

The default is unchecked so your saves are stored in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Skyrim Special Edition\Saves. If this option is checked, the saves are in your profile folder in Mod Organizer.

I did that. As I said, I even copied the saves, so at the moment, they are in both folders. MO2 sees the save games, as I said, they are in MO2's savegame tab. But for some reason, the game itself doesn't see them.

I have had this happen to me, it turns out that if you have installed the Microsoft OneDrive application to monitor files and folders it will at some point do start doing this. I had to remove it for saves to start going to the profile specific folder.

I have had this happen to me, it turns out that if you have installed the Microsoft OneDrive application to monitor files and folders it will at some point do start doing this. I had to remove it for saves to start going to the profile specific folder.

OneDrive shouldn't be monitoring those folders. The only content of MyGames on OneDrive is for Fallout4.

Well I can't explain it mine weren't being monitored either, but I had OneDrive installed for ever since the game came out. Then a few months ago I had this problem. With the help of some of the developers on the MO2 discord we narrowed it down to OneDrive. When I removed it everything worked as it should.

You may want to pop on over there and ask them as they are the ones that know the workings of the program. They will ask for some diagnostic logs.

Well I can't explain it mine weren't being monitored either, but I had OneDrive installed for ever since the game came out. Then a few months ago I had this problem. With the help of some of the developers on the MO2 discord we narrowed it down to OneDrive. When I removed it everything worked as it should.

You may want to pop on over there and ask them as they are the ones that know the workings of the program. They will ask for some diagnostic logs.

Do you have a link?

The problem is that save games go under %USERPROFILE% in ..\Documents\My Games, so this is something that OneDrive will watch by default unless you disable sync. It can still work with sync, but you need to tick the setting "available local" or whatever it's called.

I hate OneDrive with a passion. Great for work where it's managed by IT-infrastructure, but terrible for personal PCs. I actually scrubbed it from y Win 10 long ago. It's a bit of a hack to be rid of it, but no issues with that crappy thing for me :)

The problem is that save games go under %USERPROFILE% in ..\Documents\My Games, so this is something that OneDrive will watch by default unless you disable sync. It can still work with sync, but you need to tick the setting "available local" or whatever it's called.

I hate OneDrive with a passion. Great for work where it's managed by IT-infrastructure, but terrible for personal PCs. I actually scrubbed it from y Win 10 long ago. It's a bit of a hack to be rid of it, but no issues with that crappy thing for me :)

As I had huge files in \Documents\, I've disabled automatic syncing of the whole folder long ago. As I said, when I go to my OneDrive folder itself, there's only a Fallout4 folder there, the SSE folder is absent, as are all other folders. And the Fallout4 folder just has the default content the game installed on installation and isn't up to date in any way.  I also have the Business version of OneDrive independently of the personal one, but that's syncing its own folder only anyway and isn't going anywhere until I have a NAS, because it's what's preventing me from losing my work in an HD crash - and I've had some of those.

post-5440-0-51121100-1612916076_thumb.jpg

post-5440-0-07872900-1612916091_thumb.jpg

Edited by OH72

You should be able to right click in there and say "Open in Onedrive" to see the files it has. You definitely shoudln't lose anything. The saves you had could be under versioning of OD. Or in a different location?

The problem isn't that files were "lost" in that sense - I know where the save games are. They are - since I manually copied them - both in the MyGames folder and in the AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\SkyrimSE\profiles

MO2 sees them (cf. picture), but when I run SSE, even from MO2, it doesn't see them.

post-5440-0-18890100-1612950331_thumb.jpg

I never have the save files themselves under my MO profile, only in MyGames.

... I don't think MO looks here, but it may save some metadata on the save games under MyGames somewhere under there. I think your issue is the OS mapping to MyGames that MO is 'told' about by the OS. Which is why I don't like using OD ... it's an enigmatic MS program that takes too many liberties in the name of 'convenience' and 'helpfulness' for people ignorant to the inner workings of their PC.

Maybe check Steam for you save games. The issue may be that Steam is being 'lied' to by the OS and OD. I believe there is a way to see your saves in Steam ... at least there used to be.

Are you using local savegames or profile-specific savegames? What are the contents of initweaks.ini found in the profile's folder? What is the file location you want the game to read the save files from? What location on your OS is setup as the default user documents environment location?

By default, the game uses the user documents environment variable to determine the location of the savegames, but that can be overridden by Mod Organizer via the sLocalSavePath ini setting, which it places in the initweaks.ini file previously mentioned. If it doesn't, it is possible you are redirecting it somehow else.

Are you using local savegames or profile-specific savegames? What are the contents of initweaks.ini found in the profile's folder? What is the file location you want the game to read the save files from? What location on your OS is setup as the default user documents environment location?

By default, the game uses the user documents environment variable to determine the location of the savegames, but that can be overridden by Mod Organizer via the sLocalSavePath ini setting, which it places in the initweaks.ini file previously mentioned. If it doesn't, it is possible you are redirecting it somehow else.

I've tried both. When initially, the game didn't show me the savegames anymore, I activated profile-specific savegames and manually copied the savegames into the profile savegame folder, so that they are in both locations. As I've shown above, MO2 has no problem finding the saves. They are listed in the savegames tab. 

I've also disabled cloud saves in Steam (and re-enabled, and disabled again, didn't change anything). 

The only saves that I see once I start the game are the ones in the picture below 

post-5440-0-37998700-1612976423_thumb.jpg