DynDOLOD CTD with Stave Church of Skyrim

OTVC

Question

Game crashes when trying to load into the prisoner's cell in abandoned prison (live another life mod). Through process of elimination I figured out it's DynDOLOD Output that was causing the crashes. Through lots of research I eventually read the readme which says to hide the meshes folder in the output mod. That helped so then I did the rest of the steps which were to delete .bto files a group at a time to figure out exactly which one(s) caused the crashes. Unfortunately it seems a lot of .bto files are causing the crash, so maybe I did something wrong.

Logs

.bto files

Is it okay to just play the game without those files? Is there something else I can do?

6 answers to this question

This is caused by invalid texture included in Stave Church of Skyrim.

Resize the textures to be multiples of 4, even better would be power of 2. For example 512x512 instead of 600x600 etc.

Also you find insane resolutions like 6000x4000 for a texture that you want to shrink to sane values probably.

Edited by sheson

Someone in the comments asked the mod author if they could make different size versions (1k, 2k, 4k) and the author said they didn't want to do that but that it should be fine since some textures are 6k.

I uninstalled the mod and ran xLODGen and DynDOLOD again and everything seems to be working fine. Might reinstall the Stave churches now. Also the mod author specifically said in their description to use xLODGen (or SSELODGen) on their mod so maybe I'll do that and hopefully it doesn't break again. Don't remember seeing that when I found the mod but maybe I'm blind.

Edited by OTVC

DynDOLOD is the advanced version of xLODGen. Obviously any invalid textures will cause CTD either way.

There are conventions and standards for assets including textures. They exist because of technical necessities. I suggest to only use mods from mod authors who have an understanding how these things work.

Temporarily disabling mods/plugins is not a fix but a troubleshooting step.

Mods/plugins that cause CTD should be fixed or permanently removed.

Edited by sheson

Yeah I didn't reinstall the mod, didn't want more issues with it. I'm more of a casual modder, I have to constantly look up tutorials for how to do things so I don't mess up so I'm not gonna be trying to fix the mod myself lol but thank you for the help and advice!