Terrain Bump - Texture Pack (by SparrowPrince)

z929669

Omg! THis mod's back! Huge celebration needs to be performed!

:D Honestly I am still shocked! If I were to choose a mod of mine which I thought would be the least missed, I would have chosen this one. It seems I was totally wrong obviously. It took a long time to be noticed here, and I thought it would get chewed up and spat out. ;) 

Sadly I don't have anything from that mod left and I'm on my tablet, but I'll try to write something quick.

===DESCRIPTION===

This mod takes the vanilla normal maps and ramps them up in quality and detail, while retaining the same dimensions as the original textures. This results in more 3D-looking ground terrain throughout Skyrim. The mod also leaves the textures uncompressed, which means they will look more defined and less pixelated than the originals. The mod is currently for Skyrim only, but a few textures will make it into the DLC packages. If you are using any other texture mods you can overwrite them, but please be aware they were based around vanilla textures; it probably won't look odd at all though.

This mod was originally uploaded by SparrowPrince, but I have been given permission to re-upload the files after they were taken down due to him feeling like he couldn't update the mod anymore.

===INSTALLATION===

Oldskool manual only:

1. Extract the contents of the folder "Textures" into your Skyrim / Data folder
(usually located at Program Files (x86) / Steam / SteamApps / common / skyrim / data)
2. Done!

===PERMISSIONS===

Use as you see fit, but credit must be given to the original author as well as the current
host of this file.

===CREDITS===

*your nexus name here* - For kindly bringing back the file and uploading it.
SparrowPrince - Original implantation and work.

Sorry I don't have any pictures or anything and be sure to change it to your name in the credits. :) Thank you very much! Oh and if you do take any shots, 10am is really the best time to do so.

EDIT: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/Images/72131/?

Thanks Sparrow. I'll prepare a mod page and make it available ;)

EDIT: I uploaded the file and added you as an administrator if you would ever like to make any changes to the description, etc.

I'd like to to know where folks recommend loading this mod. Depending on what texture packs you use, it has conflicts with SRO, Serious HD, SFO, WATER, aMidianBorn Roads/Bridges, Real Ice, and AOF Detailed Mountains. Is it recommended to use Terrain Bump over the big packs like SRO and Serious, but allow other textures to overwrite it?

Install it after those mods as this a compilation of uncompressed normal maps, the basic textures will still be used from the main packs like SHD and Serious, but this will fill in the normals and give textures more of a bumpy terrain look especially in the middle hours of the day.

If you want to keep that section in alphabetical order you can do by putting right before Tree HD in the 2.G section. That way the only thing that overwrites it is one file from WATER which is by the same author, so no biggie.

If you want to keep that section in alphabetical order you can do by putting right before Tree HD in the 2.G section. That way the only thing that overwrites it is one file from WATER which is by the same author, so no biggie.

This is how it appears in the updated Guide, which is the best, IMO

Also' date=' these shouldn't be run through an optimizer as that would save them in a compressed format, which would just be the same as the vanilla normals, same should really go for any of SP's mods.[/quote']

At least the normals anyway. DDSopt does do a great job with mipmaps though, so they could still be optimized without compressing the normals (that is why I love DDSopt). Also, the screens in the OP show the effect of compressing these normals ... it is still superior to vanilla and hard to tell from the uncompressed normals ... probably because these normals are pretty steep.

A while ago in this post z suggested for this mod using the DDSopt option for R5G5B5 compression option at the same resolution; it reduces the size of the texture file by half. Z's conclusion was that there was no noticeable quality loss. In my game setup I use this mod with that R5G5B5 compression. We might want to suggest this in the description page for the new Nexus upload of the mod.

If this is done DDSopt will automatically redo the mipmaps, of course, as part of the process.

Some of the textures should be added to the ini so they are skipped. Pretty much any of the textures that are smooth are preferable as uncompressed. Stuff like the dirt roads and snow are really noisy and I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference.

How would we go about doing this? Also do you mean R5G6B5 compression in DDSOpt?

Correct ... but only on model-space normal maps. You can use the filters.

Some of the textures should be added to the ini so they are skipped. Pretty much any of the textures that are smooth are preferable as uncompressed. Stuff like the dirt roads and snow are really noisy and I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference.

Perhaps, but even smooth textures don't suffer much quality loss. Will need to evaluate a few of those, but face textures seem to look fine as an example.