How to change a mod's Master?

folgore

Question

Greetings, first time posting on this board.  Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum; I did run searches.  

Anyhow, I recently added Dawn of Skyrim to my load order, but there's a problem:  the mod author recently changed the name of the esp.   Currently it is Dawn of Skyrim.esp.  Previously it was Blues Skyrim.esp.   The result of this is that some patches have "Dawn" as the master, others have "Blues."  I want to set all the patches that current have "Blues" as the master to "Dawn."  But how do I do this?  I google this topic regarding xEdit and search it at YouTube but come up with nothing.  I've been told that it can be done easily with Wrye Bash, but the window for Masters in Wrye Bash is down to a sliver and I can't see any Masters listed at all.  Does anyone know how to resize windows in Wrye Bash?

Or if anyone has a better way to change mod masters, I would gladly accept guidance toward other methods.  Thanks.

14 answers to this question

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Third_Party_Programs

Untitled-1.png

Now that I think about it, the "-IKnowWhatImDoing" argument is required for the "-AllowMasterFilesEdit" argument to work.

MANY, MANY, MANY THANKS!!!   Initially when I saw your follow-on post, the attached screenshot didn't show, just the link.  At least from the link, I realized your command needed to be put in the arguments window of the executable's box.  When that didn't work, I returned here and this time I saw the screenshot with -IKnowWhatImDoing added and that made all the difference!  Again, many thanks!  As they say in South Park, "I learned something today!"

3 hours ago, SkyKatarsis said:

Thanks for the useful information.  How can I delete an unnecessary master file? For example, when AE is prescribed, but I need to do it for SE.

Your question and example are contradictory: if AE is prescribed, it means it's required. If it's required, it cannot be unnecessary.

Please do not piggyback an existing topic with unrelated questions/issues. This topic is about changing a master, but you want to remove a master.

Search this forum or the internet at large for related discussions and possible answers. For example: Remove Masters from a Plugin. Or create a new topic describing your specific problem/question in details if you can't find answers.

Thanks.

1. In xEdit, expand the tree for the mod you need to change (left pane).
  2. Click on the File Header, which should be the first thing listed under the expanded tree.
  3. In the right pane, you'll find the list of Masters for that plugin towards the bottom.
  4. Find "Blues Skyrim.esp" and double-click on the name.
  5. On the window that opens, you'll be able to change the name. Edit it and click Save.
  6. When finished, close xEdit and you'll be prompted with a list of plugins you want to save. Ensure the desired plugins and only those plugins are checked. Click OK to save those checked plugins.

1. In xEdit, expand the tree for the mod you need to change (left pane).
  2. Click on the File Header, which should be the first thing listed under the expanded tree.
  3. In the right pane, you'll find the list of Masters for that plugin towards the bottom.
  4. Find "Blues Skyrim.esp" and double-click on the name.
  5. On the window that opens, you'll be able to change the name. Edit it and click Save.
  6. When finished, close xEdit and you'll be prompted with a list of plugins you want to save. Ensure the desired plugins and only those plugins are checked. Click OK to save those checked plugins.

Just did that - a window popped up with Blues Skyrim.esp in it but it wouldn't let me change it.  I right-clicked here and there but "edit" was never an option.

Add this flag to your launch arguments: 

-AllowMasterFilesEdit

What do you mean?  I launch xEdit from inside MO2 with a single click.  When would I be able to input flag?

Okay, I added your command to the arguments window of the xEdit executable.  It made no difference.  Double clicking on Blues Skyrim.esp again produced a window I couldn't change.

I found the "add Masters" command in xEdit works & I added "Dawn" as a Master.  Is there an easy way to delete "Blues" as a Master?

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Third_Party_Programs

Untitled-1.png

Now that I think about it, the "-IKnowWhatImDoing" argument is required for the "-AllowMasterFilesEdit" argument to work.

Hi TechAngel85,

I'm following these steps, but the patch I'm trying to edit the Master for gets greyed out (because of the missing Master Blues Skyrim), and doesn't load for editing in XEdit.  Do I have to temporarily rename Dawn of Skyrim.esp to Blues Skyrim.esp to get the patch plugin to load, then rename everything back? I added the two arguments (even though it is obvious" I do not know what I'm doing", lol.

Hi TechAngel85,

I'm following these steps, but the patch I'm trying to edit the Master for gets greyed out (because of the missing Master Blues Skyrim), and doesn't load for editing in XEdit.  Do I have to temporarily rename Dawn of Skyrim.esp to Blues Skyrim.esp to get the patch plugin to load, then rename everything back? I added the two arguments (even though it is obvious" I do not know what I'm doing", lol.

What I do and copy the plugin and rename the copy to the old name. Then load both old (copy) and and new master with the plugin that needs the name change. From there, you can then change the master's name in the plugin's header. When you've saved and are done with the old master (copy), delete it.

Working from a copy ensures your not messing with the original so if something goes wrong all you have to do is remove your copy and start again fresh.

What I do and copy the plugin and rename the copy to the old name. Then load both old (copy) and and new master with the plugin that needs the name change. From there, you can then change the master's name in the plugin's header. When you've saved and are done with the old master (copy), delete it.

Working from a copy ensures your not messing with the original so if something goes wrong all you have to do is remove your copy and start again fresh.

Worked perfectly! Thank you!