Let's see if I did this wrong

SenseiJT92

Question

So - rather than try and explain what I've done in thread posts (which I know can be incoherent and poorly explained on my part) - I thought I'd say what I've done here, and if anything is obviously wrong hopefully someone can point it out!

Firstly, I'm not using any particular guide, due to my own mod list (NSFW boob mods anyone?), but I'm very closely following STEP and Lexy's LOTD - specifically around the 'FINISHING LINE' sections.

To start, my loaded mods include - Majestic Mountains and Cathedral Landscapes (main versions) - I also use Noble Skyrim along with the HD LOD pack recommended by the author.

Overall then, the LOD resource packs I have are:

LODpacks.png

*LODGen Textures for v3 is Cathedral Landscape

So - firstly, after making my SMASHED patch - I begin SSELODGen with these settings:

XLODGen.png

At this point I have SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esp and CATHEDRAL LANDSCAPES LOD pack enabled.

Once generated, I install the newly generated SSELODGenOutput folder and DISABLE the above .esp file and the Cathedral Landscape LOD textures.

SSELODenabled.png

SSETerrain-Disabled.png

--One thing I noticed - I don't have an option for SSELODGenOutput to overwrite anything? There are no 'conflicts' according to Vortex. 

With me so far?  :confusion:

Good. Now, with that completed, I now run TexGen - with the size at 512 - as follows:

TexGen.png

I then install the generated TexGenOutput folder into my mod manager, overwriting everything.

Tex-Gencomplete.png

Tex-Genoverwrites.png

I then run DynDOLOD - with the following settings:

Dyn-DOLODsetup.png

After generation, I install the newly generated DynDOLODOutput into my mods - and DISABLE the MAJESTIC MOUNTAINS LOD pack (as per STEP guide 3.0b *some debate about this).

Dyndolodenabled.png

At this point - dyndolod.esm is enabled, and the dyndolod.esp is last in my load order and enabled.

LO.png

--Again, there are no conflicts with the DyDOLODOutput, so nothing to overwrite - is this normal?

Then I run the XLODGEN for Occlusion only, and install this above everything else.

occlusion.png

At this point - the game should run fine, yes?

I'm going to redo the above steps (for my own sanity) and post a short gameplay video - hopefully things are as they should be! It'd be nice to actually play this game for once - rather than spending literally what must be days of my life, regenerating these files.  :wallbash:  

Thanks for reading  :thumbsup:

-J

5 answers to this question

Use a real mod manager.

If you just check what files types a mod contains, then there is no confusion what needs to be enabled for terrain LOD generation only.

As already explained, generally mods containing object LOD meshes and textures should not be disabled after LOD generation. "Lod Pack for DynDoLod (all versions)" is such a mod.

Maybe the 3rd party STEP guide has a good reason, I have no idea.

Otherwise the order of things seems OK.

You also posted 3 videos. Am I supposed to look for something?

Edited by sheson

Use a real mod manager.

If you just check what files types a mod contains, then there is no confusion what needs to be enabled for terrain LOD generation only.

As already explained, generally mods containing object LOD meshes and textures should not be disabled after LOD generation. "Lod Pack for DynDoLod (all versions)" is such a mod.

Maybe the 3rd party STEP guide has a good reason, I have no idea.

Otherwise the order of things seems OK.

You also posted 3 videos. Am I supposed to look for something?

Hi - with the videos it was more of a 'this is what I'm experiencing' sort of thing - I was hoping that you'd tell me if there was anything obviously wrong?

I'm going to make the switch to MO2 today and hopefully things will improve! Here's hoping I can just drag my downloaded VORTEX mods directory over so I don't have to redownload everything... 
Edited by SenseiJT92