Improved Horse Step Sounds (by Crystan)

Painstouch

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm quite familiar with this issue. The problem is the following:

When riding around Skyrim (especially the riften and falkreath hold) cells/grids are continously loaded into the engine. If the data from these cells/grids is very large, as it is the case with a well-modded Skyrim, it temporarily floods the engine which then (to keep the game smooth) focuses on the cell changes only. This leads to the sudden stop of the extra "gimmicks" (usually scripts) like varying horse step sounds (even PC footstep sounds). As soon as the data is loaded, the gimmicks are reactivated, making the pause even more awkward. Same goes for all scripts, by the way. Gopher has encountered this issue, when trying to get rid of the crosshair during the ranged kill cams. If too much is going on, the script which should deactivate the crosshair gets put behind the other data which needs to be processed just like in a line at the supermarket.

Will test this mod today.

Update:

only esp conflict is with Skyrim.esm.

Didn't encounter any issues, so from me it gets a go.

• 1 year later...

Apparently the missing step sounds have been fixed in the latest version of the mod by raising the priority. :)

(That's how I interpreted the Read Me included in the files)

If it works without problems the wiki needs an update, can't tell it myself since I'm still installing STEP.

Edited by TI_21

What priority values are they set to? AFAIK anything above 64 is going to make things very unstable and prone to crashing.

One thing I did not like about this mod is that it seemingly doesn't differentiate between front and back hooves like the original sounds do, nor are there different sounds for different speeds like trotting and galloping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...