Bad Snow Terrain LOD

d1ebels

Question

10 answers to this question

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i have a problem with ugly snow LOD. I dont use xlodgen at this moment, but i have a feeling that it wont help on this problem. Am i right with this? Here is a PIC:

https://imgur.com/a/wv6agql

I don't know for certain, but that snow may be object LOD that would be fixed by DynDOLOD (not xLODGen). To test, try increasing your terrainManager settings in skyrimprefs.ini ... try these setting and see if it's fixed:

[TerrainManager]
fBlockLevel0Distance 106496
fBlockLevel1Distance 348160
fBlockMaximumDistance 393216

If so, then DynDOLOD should fix (and you can revert your INI to whatever you had it before).

I don't know for certain, but that snow may be object LOD that would be fixed by DynDOLOD (not xLODGen). To test, try increasing your terrainManager settings in skyrimprefs.ini ... try these setting and see if it's fixed:

[TerrainManager]
fBlockLevel0Distance 106496
fBlockLevel1Distance 348160
fBlockMaximumDistance 393216

If so, then DynDOLOD should fix (and you can revert your INI to whatever you had it before).

ok i wil try it! thanks

I split the post and replies to here.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i have a problem with ugly snow LOD. I dont use xlodgen at this moment, but i have a feeling that it wont help on this problem. Am i right with this? Here is a PIC:

https://imgur.com/a/wv6agql

xLODGen would likely help in this case, assuming you have the right textures installed. Since you don't use xLODGen, the LOD you have is just what is provided by mods. It's generally not recommended to use pre-generated LODs for landscape and trees.

I had the same ugly snow before following STEP for DYNLOD/xLODGen. Definitely do it!

can u post a picture of your result? dont want to do the whole process only for a minor better LOD.

edit: And to be sure: This is a xlodgen problem isnt it? snow lod is no Object. Dont want to use Dyndolod if i dont have to. I want to play the game already :D

Edited by d1ebels

It's probably terrain, but you didn't seem to want to run the LOD gen, so I suggested the possibility that those snow textures came with a mountain mod or snow mod and could thus be objects. Taking about one minute of your time to check presented the possibility of verifying and fixing your game in no time at all or to verify that you only need to run xLODGen rather than DynDOLOD.

Curious why you don't want to run LOD gen steps. It's easy and only takes a bit of time for a drastic improvement to visual quality (which you seem to be concerned about).

It's not xLODGen because 100s/1000s of people use it without issue. If I say more, I'll come off as rude so I'll leave it at that.

I think he/she is saying that the issue would be corrected by xLODGen, but d1ebels doesn't want to go through the LOD gen process.