STEP Skyrim SE Guide v0.3.0b - Official Bug Reports

Are we missing a step to deactivate the (Temp) - Majestic Mountains - LODGen mod after generating LOD? The detailed instructions for Majestic Mountains state this temp mod will be enabled for generating LOD and disabled afterwards, but I don't see the steps to do so.

Are we missing a step to deactivate the (Temp) - Majestic Mountains - LODGen mod after generating LOD? The detailed instructions for Majestic Mountains state this temp mod will be enabled for generating LOD and disabled afterwards, but I don't see the steps to do so.

I don't think that one really matters, but Z came in with a bit of a heavy hand when he returned to some Guide stuff, and without much discussion beforehand, so I don't know what he's all done...haven't looked at it in a while as I'm trying to stay away from the Guide for a while. Though a bit rusty :;):, Z is capable of handling things on his own while I take a bit of a break. I've been helping with LOD testing to try to steer that back in the right direction and anything Z needs on Discord. No idea why the 2D tree LOD instructions would have been removed...  :huh: ...could have been an accident.

I went though the history and see it was removed from the 3D Tree LOD Wrap Up section (just before Occlusion). I think either the guide should include a step to disable it if this is what should be done, or the detailed instructions for Majestic Mountains should be changed so it's consistent with the guide.

I disabled it after generating the Occlusion ESP before starting the game. If it doesn't matter one way or the other, I'll leave it disabled.

7. Disable the ''(TEMP) - Magestic Mountains - LODGen'' mod (it is no longer needed as a resource).

@Tech
I didn't remove the 2D tree DynDOLOD gen section, although you may have thought so by Greg's porevious note ... I somehow omitted 'step 8' I think he was saying.

@Greg
I updated MM mod page and the guide instructions around that, pointing to explanation for DynDOLOD resources. Validated with advice from sheson. xLODGen resources should only be temporarily enabled, but DynDOLOD resources should be permanently enabled as long as the mod itself and object LOD are being used.

Also, I made a lot of "heavy handed" changes after running through the guide myself from the user perspective. I corrected a lot of minor inconsistencies (formatting mostly for use of GUI clicks, paths, double quote usage, bold/italics usage, etc.) as well as some of the instructions for clarity and cohesion with the mod instructions ... all noted in the Changelog. It's easy to be inconsistent in writing up the various wiki guides, and I also create inconsistencies among edits made at different times. I think that I have corrected everything, and we got some good feedback from FendisKhan and others to help with that.

EDIT: There are likely 'detailed' mod instructions on other wiki pages that could be modified for consistency. I will address these as I notice them or am made aware of them. I'm not specifically hunting them down though.

@z929669

Yes, I was trying to say that this one step was removed and I wasn't sure whether Majestic Mountains LOD should be active or inactive after generating the LOD because of the information on the detailed instructions page. This was the only step that I stumbled on while setting up the guide after your edits.

@z929669

Yes, I was trying to say that this one step was removed and I wasn't sure whether Majestic Mountains LOD should be active or inactive after generating the LOD because of the information on the detailed instructions page. This was the only step that I stumbled on while setting up the guide after your edits.

Thanks for confirming ... hopefully all fixed now and clearer.

Actually, MM LOD resource should be disabled after generating. I just found an issue with it enabled in the Tundra. The river in the tundra, north of Rorikstead was "flashing" as if there was a layer over the top of it. Some rocks where doing the same thing. Disabling the MM LOD resource fixed it. So it should be disabled after DynDOLOD generation.

Propose to make "Users deviating from our recommendations will need to adjust the instructions in our guides accordingly." bold or even better into a notice (maybe the small one with a line above and beyond) as other things further down have.

There are things which might be a bit sneaky like '-o:"C:\Modding\Tools\xLODGen\xLODGen_Output\"' in the Tool Setup Table which could be missed. (I definitely saw it, i swear! ^_^ )

Thanks, but for me as a non-native English speaker, the clarification made it harder to understand it (maybe because of the structure of the sentence?). I needed a lot more mental concentration to get it now, compared to the old version.

The old one just needed visual aid to stand out for people who are deviating from recommendations, especially as it was the last sentence in the paragraph.

Also with "Users deviating from our recommendations ...", people will be able to detect nearly instantly, if the rest of the notice will even be applicable for their installation/situation and therefore are able to be faster and save energy when going through the guide, if they don't need this notice.

"Be certain to note any such deviations for later reference.", or "Make sure to ..." might be added as a second sentence to it, for extra emphasize.

So tldr: I think "Users deviating from our recommendations will need to adjust the instructions in our guides accordingly. Make sure to note any such deviations for later reference." as a Notice is better.

Typo in LOOT instructions: Several several plugins will show warnings

In Section LOOT i didn't get what executables drop-down menu was at first(top right drop down menu left of run).

maybe at an image to it:

executables-drop-down-menu.png

In Section Moving the Cleaned Files under Cleaned Masters point 3:

Move this mod up the MO mod list to just after "DLC: Dawnguard".

but Dragonborn.esm is the last mod before Overwrite as stated in the guide before and afterwards. So i suspect it should be just after Dragonborn?

double are in step patches section:

Thus, the STEP Patches are are one part

also in this section:

"We recommend keeping the forum topic from the link open for referencing the list of required mods. This is helpful for users deciding whether or not to install a mod that may be required by the Patches."

could be replaced with: "Indicated by a green vertical bar in the upcoming mod tables.( This is helpful for users deciding whether or not to install a mod that may be required by the Patches.)". Part in brackets only maybe.

Edited by Simondererste

I corrected these pieces and added some verbal clarification. We don't include detailed, pictorial instructions for most of the tools used, since that is beyond the scope of the STEP Guide. Besides, we have a full guide for MO, and other tools also have mod pages with links to external references.