STEP Skyrim SE Guide v0.3.0b - Official Bug Reports

When my character has a sword and shield equipped, the sheathing/unsheathing animation has them reach behind their back with their left arm (shield arm). Also, sometimes when using a mace or axe, the character will sheath/unsheathe as if they were using a sword. I've tracked this to XPMSSE, and I reinstalled the mod and made sure to follow the settings in the guide and ran FNIS again, but it wasn't fixed.

Check the MCM menu. It has some additional styles.

I know. But fun thing is that after 772 hours in Skyrim SE i have never seen a hunter in anything but hunter dress. Was thinkin it had to do with "Weapons Armor and Clutter Extensions"? Looks wierd.

Is there a way in xEdit or CK to find out how that specific garment is treated in leveled list (i asume it is the leveled list that adds it to the npc)?

You can get the NPC's reference or base ID and use those to look them up in xEdit. From there, you can view their inventory and outfits they're using. That will get you started and you'll have to investigate further from. 

Check the MCM menu. It has some additional styles.

Under Shield Style, the only option is Default, and if I click it and don't choose anything before exiting out, the style changes to something called "RMWSHIELD", which doesn't change anything. Selecting Default also does not fix my problem. There are other options in the other categories, only shields and staves have just Default. I also tried following Groovtama's FAQ by placing XPMSE at the bottom of the mod loading order with no change in results. I also tried reinstalling XPMSE again, and MO's log was giving me warnings like "The flag 'CC_MCM' did not match 'Off'".

zekBebq.png?2Bb2NWWH.png

Update: I tried different equipment combinations now, and everytime I have a shield equipped, the animation acts like I'm dual wielding swords and reaching over the shoulder (with sword, mace, or axe main-hand) or dual-wielding daggers and reaching from the back hip (with dagger main-hand). I also tried changing the styles of the weapons, but none of them affect the shield behavior. Also, when actually dual-wielding, the offhand weapon doesn't have a sheath and just appears and disappears when unsheathing/sheathing. Without the shield, all other animations appear to be working correctly.

Edited by Exdeathmore

I completely uninstalled all animation mods and FNIS SE, and reinstalled them in order and ran through the FNIS process from scratch, and I am still experiencing the exact same problem. I am also getting style options for mods that I do not have installed or selected any options for in the XPMSE installer. The XPMSE topic thread says there is a Sword n Board style option, but it is nowhere on my MCM.

The only workaround I found is simply disabling the shield on back animation, shield teleports back there and back in your hand when you sheath/unsheath but it feels less messy at least.

I have this same problem as @Exdeathmore. No added animation mods.... just installed everyting in the guide.

"Disabling the shield on back animation"? Is there even a shield on back enimation in any mod in the STEP Guide animation section?

There shore is not an option in the MCM for XPMSE.

Maby it is the "Dual Weild Improved Animations"? (no did not help uncheckin it)

Found a post on that mod saying:  

"...when using a shield, it seems that the motion of pulling a shield like a sword is awkward."

In XPMSE, you should have "Style Fitting Shield Animations", just uncheck it.

Screen-Shot32.png

I gave it a try, and it changed the animation to reaching for the hip instead. I had to also disable Style Fitting Dual Wield Animations for my character to finally stop reaching weird places for the shield already in their hand.

• +1 1

I just updated Guard Dialogue Overhaul and now LOOT refuses to load it before WACCF. Nor can I manually add it back to WACCF's 'Load After' list, presumably because Guard Dialogue Overhaul is already on that list. Does anybody know of a workaround? (Other than manually moving it back after every LOOT sort)

• +1 1

Ah, I kept getting 'Error: "Weapons Armor Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp" has a lower load order than "Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp"' whenever I launched SSEEdit and had this issue on my to-do list.

I have the same problem with adding GDO to the load after list of WACCF. I assume the faulty sort is due to the checksum being incorrect. Couldn't delete the existing checksum condition either  :crash:

Putting GDO as a requirement for WACCF in LOOT did the trick for me, but I don't know if this messes anything else up.

I've noticed some odd shadows flickering on occasion as I move the camera in certain areas. I managed to narrow it down to Relighting Skyrim - SSE.

Best place to test it that I found was Belethor's Shop in Whiterun, you can see the comparison gifs here. It is more obvious the greater the difference in brightness, hence why it stands out with candlelight/magelight spell in particular. The same thing happens with torches too to a somewhat lesser extent.

Reading the bug page for the mod leads me to believe that there are issues that will occur with odd lighting and flickering in certain areas and the mod author is aware of some of them and has decided not to fix them, or at least not yet. A response by the mod author to a bug report in Markarth lead me to try ELFX meshes as a possible solution.

I thought I could be clever and only include the problematic meshes in Belethor's but that only yielded partial "results". Only way to make it work entirely is to also use the .esp, but this comes with a lot of other things that will alter the lightning look and feel that the STEP guide intended.

Is there another possible solution that tweaks the light sources (torch or candle/mage light spells etc.) instead?

If not, considering that the mod author seems reluctant to fix these issues, would a solution based on ELFX (or some other meshes) be a possibility for a future STEP update? Assuming ELFX doesn't introduce a bunch of new issues.

EDIT: I'm really happy with the STEP L&W apart from this issue

Edited by Chadric

I've noticed some odd shadows flickering on occasion as I move the camera in certain areas. I managed to narrow it down to Relighting Skyrim - SSE.

Best place to test it that I found was Belethor's Shop in Whiterun, you can see the comparison gifs here. It is more obvious the greater the difference in brightness, hence why it stands out with candlelight/magelight spell in particular. The same thing happens with torches too to a somewhat lesser extent.

Reading the bug page for the mod leads me to believe that there are issues that will occur with odd lighting and flickering in certain areas and the mod author is aware of some of them and has decided not to fix them, or at least not yet. A response by the mod author to a bug report in Markarth lead me to try ELFX meshes as a possible solution.

I thought I could be clever and only include the problematic meshes in Belethor's but that only yielded partial "results". Only way to make it work entirely is to also use the .esp, but this comes with a lot of other things that will alter the lightning look and feel that the STEP guide intended.

Is there another possible solution that tweaks the light sources (torch or candle/mage light spells etc.) instead?

If not, considering that the mod author seems reluctant to fix these issues, would a solution based on ELFX (or some other meshes) be a possibility for a future STEP update? Assuming ELFX doesn't introduce a bunch of new issues.

EDIT: I'm really happy with the STEP L&W apart from this issue

Haha! ELFX is stuffed full of issues and compatibility problems! They break every rule around lights and the engine so they have to provide cut up meshes to achieve their results.

Also, you're not suppose to be using candle/magelight and/or torches in shops anyway. They're weren't designed for it. Players doing weird things is the cause of a lot of reported issues, which is one reason why JawZ doesn't fix things (or myself). The other is JawZ is basically done with modding. I have full author rights to RS if there is a real issue, I will fix it, but I'm not fixing issues with players using spells and torches in shops because they pushing the engine's light limitations past the safe point by doing so...and why are you using a torch in a shop?? Planning to burn the place down? If it's for testing, you're testing is flawed by not knowing the design of the mod and the light limitations of the game. Basically, players are the cause of the 90% of issues reported to RS (I will prune them from time to time), not the design of the mod, and changing the design to account for player antics isn't an option.

With that rant said, I must not know what I'm looking for in your GIFs because I don't see the difference.

@GDO,

It's likely an issue with LOOT and they'll likely have it sorted soon. If it's not been reported, please report it to their tracker.

Okay, I understand, sorry to have triggered this rant xD.

Removing the odd glow from the candle/mage light spells and the increased duration from playing as a mage with Vokrii meant that I would often still have a candlight floating around me when I would make it back to town. While entering breezehome to deposit my loot and take an in-game nap I would notice the odd flicker while going upstairs.

(This is probably a better example than the belethor one. The door that the magelight passes through in my earlier belethor example wouldn't light up until you got close and/or ran past the door and briefly flicker)

I set about to see if I can solve it and came across JawZ's suggestion regarding a similar issue in Markerth to use the ELFX meshes for the affected area. With hindsight I see there was no point bringing this up now that I know you are involved in the mod (I saw JawZ as the uploader but didn't read the "created by" on the nexus page because I'm blind apparently). I did manage to solve the breezehome stair flicker using this advice however!

I totally understand your stance that using torches or candle/mage light in lit/inhabited interiors is not something that you will support. 

Edited by Chadric

I think the issue is that the game engine supports a limited number of light sources in an area. If this limit is exceeded in any way (such as with a torch or magelight spell), the engine will fail to properly render all of the light sources so you will see light sources turn on/turn off as you change your vantage point in the area. Although this limitation can be increased by splitting the interior meshes, this is very tedious and time consuming for mod authors and it introduces compatibility issues with mods that alter interiors.