STEP Skyrim SE Guide v0.3.0 Beta Release

TechAngel85

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just updated from an AMD GPU to an NVIDIA one. Is there any clear directions for what I am supposed to change? In the AMD guide it tells me what to set/change. The Nvidia one just gives an explanation on the settings themselves with no guidelines on what to set for SSE.

I just updated from an AMD GPU to an NVIDIA one. Is there any clear directions for what I am supposed to change? In the AMD guide it tells me what to set/change. The Nvidia one just gives an explanation on the settings themselves with no guidelines on what to set for SSE.

Unfortunately, I've never used NVIDIA, and their config settings have always been exceedingly complicated with many options, so making a guide on standard settings for Skyrim is probably a real challenge that I cannot help with.

I think that any of our experienced modders or staff that use NVIDIA should take a stab at creating a post with MINIMAL 'good' settings (only settings that deviate from default OOtB). If this gets done, I can add the info to a more concese and relevant NVIDIA GFX guide. Interested volunteers, please PM me!

PS: I will be updating the AMD display guide soon.

Nvidia Inspector Guide should be pretty relevant...

Honestly there aren't many driver tweaks that need/should be made for Nvidia. The STEP System Setup Guide and Inspector Guides should be all that is needed. 

Several parts of the guide have been rewritten for clarity. Most notably:

TBD: tweak to the AMD display drivers setup and ancillary guides

Did you update the changelog?

I think it would be helpful if people had some basics for driver tweaks for Skyrim SE. For Nvidia, it would be things like disable driver vsync (whatever it is), enable G-SYNC, enable Nvidia ultra low latency mode ... leaving default settings elsewhere. An explanation of all settings is a great reference, but for guide followers, they just want to know simplest recommendations.

For example, I added these instructions, because they were the fix for my own issues with stuttering and missing windows cursor in borderless windowed mode (which we recommend).

@Z

The Majestic Mountains detailed instructions states the following:

Users can ignore the Blended Roads requirement. It will be included within another mod.

I think it would be better to specify the mod that includes it:

Users can ignore the Blended Roads requirement. It will be included within the Cathedral Landscapes mod.

I think it would be helpful if people had some basics for driver tweaks for Skyrim SE. For Nvidia, it would be things like disable driver vsync (whatever it is), enable G-SYNC, enable Nvidia ultra low latency mode ... leaving default settings elsewhere. An explanation of all settings is a great reference, but for guide followers, they just want to know simplest recommendations.

For example, I added these instructions, because they were the fix for my own issues with stuttering and missing windows cursor in borderless windowed mode (which we recommend).

The problem is, all of that is user-specific. For example, SSE profile in Inspector has literally a single change for my system and that just to just to limit the framerates. Everything else is default and works beautifully.

The problem is, all of that is user-specific. For example, SSE profile in Inspector has literally a single change for my system and that just to just to limit the framerates. Everything else is default and works beautifully.

Agree: hardware, software, and config specific ... but I do think that a couple of 'good' options would be helpful for Nvidia config with link to the detailed Nvidia reference would be useful and less daunting. If you are just enabling frame limiter via Nvidia drivers rather than via SSE INI files, then it is one of those 'good' options (versus using the BethINI to do so).

Agree: hardware, software, and config specific ... but I do think that a couple of 'good' options would be helpful for Nvidia config with link to the detailed Nvidia reference would be useful and less daunting. If you are just enabling frame limiter via Nvidia drivers rather than via SSE INI files, then it is one of those 'good' options (versus using the BethINI to do so).

I would need to do the testing again for SE because of SE updates, but carrying forward from LE the only thing the driver is better at for Nvidia has been limiting frames and AF; AF was so minutely better via drivers that it was very hard to tell, though. I might do some testing this weekend, if the mode strikes. With a couple of you installing the Guide again, I can set up the mod topics for the mods I have bookmarked and mark them for testing.

By chance, have you heard of Wabbajack? It's a completed automatic installer for modlists that supports several games, Skyim and Skyrim SE included. I don't exactly know how it works, but apparently you just load the modlist and the instructions present in the modlist tells the program what to download and how to install it all.

Not sure of the ethical concerns (if any) or what have you, but thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Thanks for responding :)

Nvidia settings do seem user dependent. Nvidia inspector suggested quite a few changes. I did not go through with them. Luckily I have not had any issues which is a relief. The game still looks great with following the rest of STEP.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived