STEP Skyrim SE Guide v0.3.0 Beta Release

TechAngel85

No major difference as far as i can tell. Though i am just running around all over random atm.

I stopped and watched the towns from a distance for a bit to see the NPCs going about their day. I've also noticed still having to run around to find NPCs for quests as they are naturally roaming about instead of always being in their predictable locations. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any feedback from the switch to AI Overhaul, yet? Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference so that is probably a good thing!

My initial impression is mostly positive, though I've noticed NPCs will occasionally stop what they're doing to stare into space for long periods. This sometimes results in weird behavior, for instance Danica spent a few days standing in a drain staring into a wall and these two spent an entire day engaged in a staring contest on these stairs. I am noticing this less frequently as my game goes on though, so maybe its just some weirdness with their initial placement.

My initial impression is mostly positive, though I've noticed NPCs will occasionally stop what they're doing to stare into space for long periods. This sometimes results in weird behavior, for instance Danica spent a few days standing in a drain staring into a wall and these two spent an entire day engaged in a staring contest on these stairs. I am noticing this less frequently as my game goes on though, so maybe its just some weirdness with their initial placement.

I've noticed a few standing here and there. Most of it is probably due to some odd navmeshing. ICAIO does a lot of navmeshing to fix some of that, which is where a lot of it's incompatibilities stem from. AIO uses a lighter hand with its edits.

From the 0.3b changelog:  

Dropped

• Wiseman303's Critter Fixes (SE)

This mod is mostly incorporated with other mods included in the Guide.

Which other mods? Just curious if I should drop it from my guide too.

Should mostly be covered by CACO and HD Pondfish, I think.

Now that "Divine Amulets and Daedric Rings" is removed in 0.3.0b, I wanted to mention that, in my opinion, Rustic Amulets by Gamwich would make a for a great addition!

All the amulets are very much in keeping with the original vanilla looks. The only amulet that deviates somewhat is the Amulet of Mara, but even then it's minor and similar to how some of Ren's HD Shrines deviate from vanilla.

Now that "Divine Amulets and Daedric Rings" is removed in 0.3.0b, I wanted to mention that, in my opinion, Rustic Amulets by Gamwich would make a for a great addition!

All the amulets are very much in keeping with the original vanilla looks. The only amulet that deviates somewhat is the Amulet of Mara, but even then it's minor and similar to how some of Ren's HD Shrines deviate from vanilla.

I'm already planning on adding it. It just didn't make it in for the last release.

Wow! really thank you for so many screenshots. I see there is substantial difference in far away objects since last versions. I did this guide 3 times on 2.9 and 2.10 versions, now overall image looks more full and kind of no pain anymore to look far away.

Wow! really thank you for so many screenshots. I see there is substantial difference in far away objects since last versions. I did this guide 3 times on 2.9 and 2.10 versions, now overall image looks more full and kind of no pain anymore to look far away.

Yea. The tree lods is amazing, i use the 3D version lod. I set BethINI to Ultra but then turned off lens flare and sky reflection. The downfall of having a very strong rig is that older games like Skyrim very often reveals its flaws.

I play at 2560x1440 on a 27' bent 144 Hz screen so while all the modern textures look amazing there is a problem with the very visible outlines of objects, but that goes with all games.

My goal is not to have the most beautyful game but just a good looking smooth running game... that is why STEP is perfect.

Yea. The tree lods is amazing, i use the 3D version lod. I set BethINI to Ultra but then turned off lens flare and sky reflection. The downfall of having a very strong rig is that older games like Skyrim very often reveals its flaws.

I play at 2560x1440 on a 27' bent 144 Hz screen so while all the modern textures look amazing there is a problem with the very visible outlines of objects, but that goes with all games.

My goal is not to have the most beautyful game but just a good looking smooth running game... that is why STEP is perfect.

I'm totally with you on this opinion about not being perfect in graphics, but better to look nice and smooth in general. Like for example Gothic 2 is so old and  meshes of objects are squared most of the time, but game looks smooth and nice, everything blends so nicely you don't even spot that trees have 5-6 edged tree trunks. This step guide is great for making skyrim a normal game how it "should" have been. :))

• 1 month later...

I've noticed a few standing here and there. Most of it is probably due to some odd navmeshing. ICAIO does a lot of navmeshing to fix some of that, which is where a lot of it's incompatibilities stem from. AIO uses a lighter hand with its edits.

Now that I've had some time to play this release in a proper playthrough I feel I can give some better feedback on the switch to AI Overhaul.

When it works, it works great. I'm seeing NPCs using animations I've never seen them use before, going places they've never been before, and having conversations with dialogue I've never heard before (or at least didn't hear while using ICAIO, perhaps because certain characters never/rarely met with ICAIO's changes). Overall it makes towns feel more alive and its citizens more realistic.

All that said, it sometimes just doesn't work. Quite frequently I'll find NPCs standing with their faces against some wall or stuck in some weird place staring into space. Occasionally this seems to break some of the scripted dialogues in the game, such as world encounters where you find NPCs engaged in conversation that then abruptly stops (presumably because one NPC is stuck).

Overall I'd say the positive changes of this mod outweigh the occasional issues, especially considering ICAIO had its share of quirks too. As to which mod is better, there are quite a few things I liked in ICAIO that this mod doesn't have, but there are also a lot of nice things in AI Overhaul that ICAIO didn't have. In my opinion both mods are great but AI Overhaul is the winner just because of the added compatibility.

Archived