Dread's Skyrim Build (a STEP build)

I'm confused about using xLODGen for generating LOD files. Step 4 says to use "the following settings" and then has 4 images with different settings for Terrain LOD. 

Do I run this four different times or do I just choose one of the settings. 

I've never done LOD before.

Thanks.

I'm confused about using xLODGen for generating LOD files. Step 4 says to use "the following settings" and then has 4 images with different settings for Terrain LOD. 

Do I run this four different times or do I just choose one of the settings. 

I've never done LOD before.

Thanks.

Disregard. I finally figured it out. 

For Mysticism - A Magic Overhaul it says to "Install the main file and the Survival patch. Do not install the Audio Overhaul Skyrim patch." As of today (19 Nov 2020) the survival patch is not listed. Can I continue the build without it?

It is safe to continue. I will update the patches in the coming week.

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 4:42 AM, dreadflopp said:

Just an FYI, the build is currently being updated. All featured mods and patches are up to date and the guide is being updated with changes from STEP SE 1.0. It will take another week before all changes are mirrored in the guide.

Dreadflopp, I was getting an itch to play Skyrim again, came back to your guide and read your comment. I checked the changelog on the guide and it looks as if you last made some changes a couple days ago. When do you anticipate having all the changes incorporated into your guide ? No rush, just curious before I start the install. I really enjoyed the last playthrough using your guide, one of the smoothest and most stable playthroughs I have had.

17 hours ago, Badger_375 said:

Dreadflopp, I was getting an itch to play Skyrim again, came back to your guide and read your comment. I checked the changelog on the guide and it looks as if you last made some changes a couple days ago. When do you anticipate having all the changes incorporated into your guide ? No rush, just curious before I start the install. I really enjoyed the last playthrough using your guide, one of the smoothest and most stable playthroughs I have had.

Thanks for the nice words. It will at most take two weeks, but I did manage to work through the big textures section today, which means I might be able to finish the update tomorrow (very possible).

On 3/1/2021 at 5:38 PM, Badger_375 said:

Dreadflopp, I was looking through mods on Nexus and ran across this : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/45160

Looks like all of the alternate armor variations from aMidianBorn Content Add-On without the CCOR requirement. Thought it would be a nice addition to your list.

Thanks, I will take a look at it. I will probably finish the update this weekend.

The guide and all patches are updated and all changes from STEP SE 1.0 are incorporated into the guide.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:38 PM, Badger_375 said:

Dreadflopp, I was looking through mods on Nexus and ran across this : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/45160

Looks like all of the alternate armor variations from aMidianBorn Content Add-On without the CCOR requirement. Thought it would be a nice addition to your list.

It will not be added at this time since it needs to much patching against other mods, but i might reconsider it at a later time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Hope all of you are all right after all those months of pandemic. I've updated my modlist with the latest version of the guide and found a few things here and there to share with you.

1) Modern brawl bug: I think this mod can be removed now as it is included in Blade and Blunt. The information is available in the compatibility section of the mod 🙂

2) Daedric Voices: Regarding the installation, it is indicated to install the main file and the patch for the Growl mod. I believe this could be removed since the Growl mod was recently replaced by Manbeast by SimonMagus616. 🙂

3) Realistic water 2 patches: I just saw this morning that the three missing patches for RW2 (Luminosity, Telengard, Oakwood) are now included in the latest Dread’s modlist patches. However, there is a mod that covers the fixes for Telengard and Oakwood available on the Nexus if you want to take a look. The name of the mod is: Oakwood and Telengard - Realistic Water Two Patches.

4) JK's interiors patch collection: With the latest update of the mod (March 14th, version 2.6.1), there is a new section in the patch for JK's Blue palace mod named "Solitude city mods". Which patch do we select in that section? I think it is the one for JK's Skyrim - Solitude Skyway?

5) Wyrmstooth; Wyrmstooth have been ported to the Nexus for a few weeks now, but the guide is still pointing to the version on the archive.org website. I think that the version on the Nexus website is the most up-to-date (v 1.19.1) comparing with the one found at archive.org (v1.18SSE). Which version should we use?

6) Nemesis Unlimited Behaviour Engine: I've ran into a problem with the Nemesis Engine, as I was not able to update it. I've got error message telling me that I'm missing the falmer behavior file. After a few google search, I've found the mod: Ultimate Combat and Creatures Behaviour compatibility for Nemesis. This mod apparently solved the missing behaviour file for other Nemesis users who ran into the same bug. I've installed it and placed it right under Nemesis in my installation order (I did not selected any patches, neither for Ultimate combat or Ultimate dragons). Afterthat, I've tried to update the engine and the error message was gone. Yeah!! I still don't know what caused the bug, but I think this information might be usefull for the other persons who might encoutered the problem.

That's it for now! Many thanks for updating the guide, to be in line with the latest STEP version. I really enjoy the gameplay we have with the guide, and it makes Skyrim always so enjoyable even after 10 years 🙂

Edited by MetalheadVez

On 3/16/2021 at 10:26 PM, MetalheadVez said:

Hey guys!

Hope all of you are all right after all those months of pandemic. I've updated my modlist with the latest version of the guide and found a few things here and there to share with you.

1) Modern brawl bug: I think this mod can be removed now as it is included in Blade and Blunt. The information is available in the compatibility section of the mod 🙂

2) Daedric Voices: Regarding the installation, it is indicated to install the main file and the patch for the Growl mod. I believe this could be removed since the Growl mod was recently replaced by Manbeast by SimonMagus616. 🙂

3) Realistic water 2 patches: I just saw this morning that the three missing patches for RW2 (Luminosity, Telengard, Oakwood) are now included in the latest Dread’s modlist patches. However, there is a mod that covers the fixes for Telengard and Oakwood available on the Nexus if you want to take a look. The name of the mod is: Oakwood and Telengard - Realistic Water Two Patches.

4) JK's interiors patch collection: With the latest update of the mod (March 14th, version 2.6.1), there is a new section in the patch for JK's Blue palace mod named "Solitude city mods". Which patch do we select in that section? I think it is the one for JK's Skyrim - Solitude Skyway?

5) Wyrmstooth; Wyrmstooth have been ported to the Nexus for a few weeks now, but the guide is still pointing to the version on the archive.org website. I think that the version on the Nexus website is the most up-to-date (v 1.19.1) comparing with the one found at archive.org (v1.18SSE). Which version should we use?

6) Nemesis Unlimited Behaviour Engine: I've ran into a problem with the Nemesis Engine, as I was not able to update it. I've got error message telling me that I'm missing the falmer behavior file. After a few google search, I've found the mod: Ultimate Combat and Creatures Behaviour compatibility for Nemesis. This mod apparently solved the missing behaviour file for other Nemesis users who ran into the same bug. I've installed it and placed it right under Nemesis in my installation order (I did not selected any patches, neither for Ultimate combat or Ultimate dragons). Afterthat, I've tried to update the engine and the error message was gone. Yeah!! I still don't know what caused the bug, but I think this information might be usefull for the other persons who might encoutered the problem.

That's it for now! Many thanks for updating the guide, to be in line with the latest STEP version. I really enjoy the gameplay we have with the guide, and it makes Skyrim always so enjoyable even after 10 years 🙂

Sorry for the late answer, I am not getting email notifications like I used to.

1) This is intended. Moderna Brawl Bug fix is probably included in several mods, I'm leaving it in since it doesn't hurt and some users might choose not to install the mods that include the Brawl bug fix.

2) Thanks, fixed it.

3) Thanks, I already made my own patches and added to the patch installer.

4) Didn't notice that, yes choose JK's Skyrim - Solitude Skyway

5) Thanks, fixed it.

6) I'll look into it and thanks for the solution. I haven't had that problem but I might need to add it to the guide.

Thanks for the help and the kind words! 🙂

• 1 month later...

It has been quiet from me for a while here in the forum. I'm still here and updating this build. I'm just letting you know that the site has been completely rebuilt and it now also has a nexus page. I don't think there are many users atm, but it's there for anyone that wants. STEP currently seems to adopt EnaiSiaion's suite of mods that alters magic, skill, races, abilities etc. This build uses SimonMagus suite instead, for anyone that is intrested in that. Thats it! Same link as usual:

https://dreadflopp.github.io/dreadsskyrimbuild/

• Like 2

Very cool.  It's always nice to see new stuff from Step.  I have a couple of observations I thought worth sharing. 

Near the start of my modding journey,  I did the STEP build in LE.  I learned a lot from that build, because while you guys held our hands through the tough stuff,  we still had to wade into the muddy water to get it done.  Then I expanded on the core build and installed one of the addon builds.  It was the same,  Step held our hands, but still made us wade into the muddy water to get the job done.  It was the very first build I ever made based on somebody elses modlist.  What I found so rewarding, was the amount I learned about modding in general.  I went on from there to do other builds and learn other stuff, but the basics of what I learned in that muddy water stayed.

My point in this comment is this:  You guys do great work.  Some of that great work is making us get into the muddy water to get things done.  It is teaching us how to mod by example while we still have a hand to hang onto, and not doing all the difficult stuff for us.  To me, modding is the game.  Step taught me a lot about how to properly play that game, and I still think it should be part of STEPs mandate.  Wabbajack is always an option for people who don't want to get their hands dirty.  Part of the joy of building a Modlist like STEP is the learning.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks sattyre and I couldn't agree more. Wabbajack is great for people that just want to install a whole mod list and play the game. I believe most of us modders that do this ourselves without using a batch install/automation-tool like wabbajack like the modding process almost as much or perhaps even more than actually playing the game. And if you install a mod list by following a guide like STEP, you will learn at least some basic modding skills that will allow you to install mods on top of the mod list or leave out mods that you do not want in your game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly new to modding skyrim and wanted to revisit a game I played years ago on ps3. I was looking for guides and I think this one here helps me a lot, thank you for making this guide. I don't want to use the STEP one because it's not modular and leaves little room for a noob like me to change things. Now I have a few questions and hope someone here might help me out.

1. I already set up textures-weather-lighting. I use UNP+TMB Armors/clothes and don't care for weapons, armors, crafting, smithing, loot, quest and city/town mods. Pretty much all of that is not in my modlist.

2. I want to use your core gameplay mods for a stable game. Those are:

Unofficial Patch, Cutting Room Floor, AI Overhaul, 3DNPCs, Guard+Relationship Dialogue Overhaul, all SimonMagus616 overhaul mods, Audio Overhaul, Book Covers, Improved Traps, Point the Way, Here we go again, Frozen North, Experience, Trade and Barter and a few other minor ones, but they're in your modlist and it's basically just a fraction of it.

3. What I am missing and asking if I can add are:

Reliquary of Myth, Magical college of Winterhold, FleshFX (has a mysticism patch), Bibliophile's Arcanaeum  and some kind of alchemy mod. STEP uses CACO but I thought I can use 'Alchemy Potions and Food Ajustments'.

These mods all have their own patches but do they have bigger conflicts with your core gameplay modlist, or maybe they're kind of redundant by things in your guide I missed? Maybe there are alternatives I can incorporate with patches?

Edited by kewiz