Dread's Skyrim Build (a STEP build)

On 7/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, Haunted said:

@dreadflopp

One other issue I'd like to run by you since it isnt clear in the guide (I've made it as far as the LOD step before running into the error in my previous post, but have scanned ahead and didnt see anything that would answer this question).

I'm looking through the list of plugins in MO2 and there are a fair number that aren't checked, even though I've followed every step in the guide. Most seem to be JK patches, but there are some others as well. Examples of unchecked plugins include:

BlackSacramentArmor.esl
JKs Skyrim_Rorikstead_Patch.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
Dragon War - Variants.esp
JKs Skyrim_Dawnstar_Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_BOYD_Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_Falkreath_Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_Ivarstead_Patch.esp
CFTO-JK-Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_Clockwork_Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_Dragon Bridge_Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_Cutting Room Floor_Patch.esp
JK's The Bannered Mare SPO Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_Thunderchild_Patch.esp
JKs Skyrim_RWT_Patch.esp

Should these have been checked off manually at some point in the guide and I just missed it or should I leave them unchecked?

All plugins should be checked, whether they are checked by default doesn't really matter. Right click the plugin list and choose enable all. The thunderchild plugin is the exception. Thunderchild was removed from the guide a week ago, I have forgotten to remove the patch for it. Just reinstall JK's Skyrim where the plugin comes from and install it without choosing thunderchild.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know that the guide has been updated, and this update is quite huge. Some highlights are

• DynDOLOD 3
  • No Grass In Objects
  • Embers XD 
  • Folkvangr - Grass and Landscape Overhaul
  • Northern Shores SE
  • The Grass Must Grow
  • SunHelm Survival and needs
  • SmoothCam
  • True Directional Movement - Modernized Third Person Gameplay
  • Reliquary of Myth - Artifact Overhaul
  • Dynamic Volumetric Lighting and Sun Shadows
  • Shadows Of Sunlight - In Small Exterior World Spaces
  • Window Shadows
  • ENB Light

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm attempting to reinstall your guide after a several month hiatus - obviously, a lot has changed.  I was able to find most mods that had been removed by mod authors due to the Nexus upheaval and LOOT helped me sort through other various issues.  With the exception of Thunderchild possibly causing a SkyUI .pex conflict, everything is going fine until post-install:

1. The images for the TexGen setup are unavailable. 
  2. The link to DynDOLOD Resources 3 takes the reader to HighView Cottage mod for Oldrim, instead of its intended destination. 

I did see that you were removing Thunderchild, but I'm trying a load order fix first and crossing my fingers.  Was thrilled to find the mod, seems a shame to lose it now.

Cheers,

I am gonna give Forceful Tongue a try then.

I did have an issue with campfires and inn fire textures.  I narrowed the issue down to a conflict between Embers XD and Inferno and Unofficial Material Fix, and ultimately found that somewhere in the install process of your guide, Embers' meshes for campfires (with spits, in fireplaces, and in inns) had been hidden in MO and were being suppressed.  I had to manually hide all of Inferno's and Unofficial Material Fixes' campfire meshes and unhide Embers'.  I am absolutely positive I did not hide the files myself, and the mods I mixed with your guide wouldn't have altered any fire effects/meshes/textures.   It does not seem to impact spells, although I only tested Flames.

Picture of the issues attached: Inn, Campfire (same issue also in the Riverwood Trader's fire, although I only checked it periodically throughout my tests).

Fun one to debug because the formID for the extra un-textured inn fire belonged to Embers but was being caused by Inferno and just removing Inferno changed the problem instead of fixing it.

Obviously if no one can replicate it, it was my mistake, but I'll be damned if I know what I did to cause those files to be hidden in the first place.  Mostly posting for the next poor soul who has to google the issue.  Let me know if you need specifics on what I had to hide/unhide and where, etc.

campfire-issue.png

inn-fire-issue.png

Hey guys! Nice to see that there is still more to come for this guide! I've write down a few things in my last playthrough and here they are. Let me know what you think :)

1) Nether's follower framework; This one has been hidden for a while now but it is still possible to obtain it since it is now hosted on the author's Patreon instead of Nexus. I believe it is possible to replace it, see the suggestion below.
2) Arthmoor towns: Although these mods are now available on the AFK Mods site, I have removed them. I'll try to stick only to the author's mods that are available on the Nexus. As we are using JK Skyrim, the result is not that bad as it may seem. For now, I've added the Extended Settlements mod and haven't made up my mind on what other possible additions might be.

UPDATES / ADDITIONS

1) Thieves Guild Requirements: This is not an update but rather a question. I would like to know which version of the mod we should use with the guide. Do we need the FISS version or the other main file?
2) Updated Honed Metal SSE: The mod linked in the guide is now hidden and replaced with another updated version, called “Updated Honed Metal SSE”. As we are also using a fix for Adamant, you can find the patch in another mod named Lilebonymace Patches.
3) Apothecary - Food Enhancement: How about adding this to enhance the effects of food? This should make the food more useful and interesting in the game. Since we are already using Apothecary ... it seems an easy inclusion ;)
4) Dragon War - A Dragon Overhaul: I saw that there are two optional files that could be considered for the guide, the one for the variants and the one for Encouter Tweaks. I think fighting the dragons should be more difficult, but also make sure that you have some variety for the different types of dragons. It will look pretty much like the previous setup in the guide, with Deadly Drangons and Splendor.
5) Diverse Skyrim - Battle of Whiterun Fix: Fixed an issue between Diverse Skyrim and the Battle of Whiterun Quest.
6) Simple Follower Extension: No credit for this suggestion, as this mod has been included in Lexy's guide since she decided to remove Nether's follower framework. Lexy's Guide also uses two other mods to complement this one; Mass Follower Quick Commands Hot keys and followers do not draw weapons. I don't play with followers a lot, so at the moment this mod is fine for me.
7) Perseids Inns and Taverns - Realistic Room Rental Enhanced: This mod will allow each hotel to set a different price for renting a room. Using the "basic" version of the mod is compatible with everything and I think it's a lot more immersive rather than having one single price for all across Skyrim... not realistic at all!

SUGGESTIONS:

1) Dungeons Revisited: A really cool addition that doubles the size of dungeons and makes them more interesting to visit. This changes Bleak Falls Barrow, Ustengrav, Embershard Mine, Steepfall Burrow, Halted Stream Camp, White River Watch, Hillgrund's Tomb are included. Previously, this was a set of seven mods that have been merged by the author. I honestly cannot recommend this one enough. It's always nice to revisit these dungeons without remembering them by heart and keep smiling when you've found a new way out.
2) Misc Dialogue Edits + More Dialogue Options : Together these two mods make conversations in Skyrim really more immersive and varied. It adds more options when interacting with NPCs and makes dialogue less redundant (especially for vendors). At least the first one would be a great addition for the guide (we also need the patch for Save the icerunner).
3) Immersive sounds - Compendium: I really think this mod should be included in the guide (with the required patches). This complements the Audio Overhaul for Skyrim SE mod well and has been recently updated.
4) Lilebonymace Patches: Although the mod contains the patch for Adamant 5.0 and Honed metal SSE updated, it is also a good collection of patches for several mods. There are a few other tweaks that I find interesting: Torches Ignite Oil (Shock Edition) - AOS and The Choice is Yours - Lod Dialogue Tweak.
5) NPC Overhauls (HBM textures): You were right that this is only re-textures and not a replacement mod. After continuing my testing, I ended up using it. HMB also has many patches available that we can use for the guide, without creating too much conflict between the mods. I will check if all mods are covered by the patches.

See ya :)

P.S. By the way, is it possible that the new section for grass is missing? Instead, some of the mods are included in the Locations section of the guide.

Edited by MetalheadVez

On 9/12/2021 at 1:19 AM, rebutters said:

I am gonna give Forceful Tongue a try then.

I did have an issue with campfires and inn fire textures.  I narrowed the issue down to a conflict between Embers XD and Inferno and Unofficial Material Fix, and ultimately found that somewhere in the install process of your guide, Embers' meshes for campfires (with spits, in fireplaces, and in inns) had been hidden in MO and were being suppressed.  I had to manually hide all of Inferno's and Unofficial Material Fixes' campfire meshes and unhide Embers'.  I am absolutely positive I did not hide the files myself, and the mods I mixed with your guide wouldn't have altered any fire effects/meshes/textures.   It does not seem to impact spells, although I only tested Flames.

Picture of the issues attached: Inn, Campfire (same issue also in the Riverwood Trader's fire, although I only checked it periodically throughout my tests).

Fun one to debug because the formID for the extra un-textured inn fire belonged to Embers but was being caused by Inferno and just removing Inferno changed the problem instead of fixing it.

Obviously if no one can replicate it, it was my mistake, but I'll be damned if I know what I did to cause those files to be hidden in the first place.  Mostly posting for the next poor soul who has to google the issue.  Let me know if you need specifics on what I had to hide/unhide and where, etc.

campfire-issue.png

inn-fire-issue.png

Inferno should be removed from the guide, I must have forgotten to remove it in one of the updates. Sorry for letting you go through this. I have done the exact thing before removing Inferno. I believe meshes from Embers was hidden in a previous version of the guide.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 6:50 PM, MetalheadVez said:

Hey guys! Nice to see that there is still more to come for this guide! I've write down a few things in my last playthrough and here they are. Let me know what you think :)

1) Nether's follower framework; This one has been hidden for a while now but it is still possible to obtain it since it is now hosted on the author's Patreon instead of Nexus. I believe it is possible to replace it, see the suggestion below.
2) Arthmoor towns: Although these mods are now available on the AFK Mods site, I have removed them. I'll try to stick only to the author's mods that are available on the Nexus. As we are using JK Skyrim, the result is not that bad as it may seem. For now, I've added the Extended Settlements mod and haven't made up my mind on what other possible additions might be.

UPDATES / ADDITIONS

1) Thieves Guild Requirements: This is not an update but rather a question. I would like to know which version of the mod we should use with the guide. Do we need the FISS version or the other main file?
2) Updated Honed Metal SSE: The mod linked in the guide is now hidden and replaced with another updated version, called “Updated Honed Metal SSE”. As we are also using a fix for Adamant, you can find the patch in another mod named Lilebonymace Patches.
3) Apothecary - Food Enhancement: How about adding this to enhance the effects of food? This should make the food more useful and interesting in the game. Since we are already using Apothecary ... it seems an easy inclusion ;)
4) Dragon War - A Dragon Overhaul: I saw that there are two optional files that could be considered for the guide, the one for the variants and the one for Encouter Tweaks. I think fighting the dragons should be more difficult, but also make sure that you have some variety for the different types of dragons. It will look pretty much like the previous setup in the guide, with Deadly Drangons and Splendor.
5) Diverse Skyrim - Battle of Whiterun Fix: Fixed an issue between Diverse Skyrim and the Battle of Whiterun Quest.
6) Simple Follower Extension: No credit for this suggestion, as this mod has been included in Lexy's guide since she decided to remove Nether's follower framework. Lexy's Guide also uses two other mods to complement this one; Mass Follower Quick Commands Hot keys and followers do not draw weapons. I don't play with followers a lot, so at the moment this mod is fine for me.
7) Perseids Inns and Taverns - Realistic Room Rental Enhanced: This mod will allow each hotel to set a different price for renting a room. Using the "basic" version of the mod is compatible with everything and I think it's a lot more immersive rather than having one single price for all across Skyrim... not realistic at all!

SUGGESTIONS:

1) Dungeons Revisited: A really cool addition that doubles the size of dungeons and makes them more interesting to visit. This changes Bleak Falls Barrow, Ustengrav, Embershard Mine, Steepfall Burrow, Halted Stream Camp, White River Watch, Hillgrund's Tomb are included. Previously, this was a set of seven mods that have been merged by the author. I honestly cannot recommend this one enough. It's always nice to revisit these dungeons without remembering them by heart and keep smiling when you've found a new way out.
2) Misc Dialogue Edits + More Dialogue Options : Together these two mods make conversations in Skyrim really more immersive and varied. It adds more options when interacting with NPCs and makes dialogue less redundant (especially for vendors). At least the first one would be a great addition for the guide (we also need the patch for Save the icerunner).
3) Immersive sounds - Compendium: I really think this mod should be included in the guide (with the required patches). This complements the Audio Overhaul for Skyrim SE mod well and has been recently updated.
4) Lilebonymace Patches: Although the mod contains the patch for Adamant 5.0 and Honed metal SSE updated, it is also a good collection of patches for several mods. There are a few other tweaks that I find interesting: Torches Ignite Oil (Shock Edition) - AOS and The Choice is Yours - Lod Dialogue Tweak.
5) NPC Overhauls (HBM textures): You were right that this is only re-textures and not a replacement mod. After continuing my testing, I ended up using it. HMB also has many patches available that we can use for the guide, without creating too much conflict between the mods. I will check if all mods are covered by the patches.

See ya :)

P.S. By the way, is it possible that the new section for grass is missing? Instead, some of the mods are included in the Locations section of the guide.

I'm going to do a bigger update, but it'll take a while. I'm kinda busy irl at the moment, but it's coming!

2. Artmoors town - they will be removed. I'll check what they may be replaced with.

1. The fiss version isn't needed but you may use it for convenience

2 - 7 All seems good, will check :) a nice to-do list

1 -3 Interesting too, adding to the todo list

4 Will check the patches to see what is nneede and add to the guides/patches

5 Will check what is included in it and compare it with what we currently use, adding to the bottom of the todo list.

AND yes, a typo prevented the grass section to show up. Lesson learned. Never update guides and drink whiskey at the same time. Sorry!

Edited by dreadflopp
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, 

I was hoping to get some clarification on an issue I'm running into with Nemesis. I've reached the Post-Installation phase of this build, and when I run Nemesis, it is not offering the Animated Armoury FPA and Archery Gameplay Overhaul. Any idea what I may be missing here?

EDIT: I figured it out, the Post Installation page does not reflect some of the changelog updates. 

Edited by BlkJeff

• 6 months later...