Disease Descriptions for the Immersive Adventurer (by William Imm)

WilliamImm

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So, may as well start a discussion on a idea I've been thinking about for this mod.

I realize that characters would not readily know the symptoms of a disease unless they knew a lot about medicine, given the setting. However, the diseases didn't get much of a description in the first place - just the name and the gameplay effects, so some description is needed.

I'm thinking of doing something more immersive: When you get a disease, you don't really know a lot about it other than how you feel (physically). After getting a disease, you can get more information by going and asking an alchemist, who would attempt to diagnose you, and if he/she's successful, you get told the disease name, and you get the full description. Maybe even if you get the disease again after the alchemist trip, your character would recognize the disease. Common diseases are easiest to diagnose, rare diseases are much harder. And, maybe even if your alchemist skill is high enough, you'll instantly recognize diseases when you catch them.

Sounds complicated, but still sounds doable. Tell me what you think.

I don't know how the mechanics of it would work but say the more adept you get at healing yourself say a combination of restoration and how many potions you take the more information you learn about your body and injuries/diseases. Yours also sounds good.

So, may as well start a discussion on a idea I've been thinking about for this mod.

I realize that characters would not readily know the symptoms of a disease unless they knew a lot about medicine, given the setting. However, the diseases didn't get much of a description in the first place - just the name and the gameplay effects, so some description is needed.

I'm thinking of doing something more immersive: When you get a disease, you don't really know a lot about it other than how you feel (physically). After getting a disease, you can get more information by going and asking an alchemist, who would attempt to diagnose you, and if he/she's successful, you get told the disease name, and you get the full description. Maybe even if you get the disease again after the alchemist trip, your character would recognize the disease. Common diseases are easiest to diagnose, rare diseases are much harder. And, maybe even if your alchemist skill is high enough, you'll instantly recognize diseases when you catch them.

Great idea. This is a true realism mod that would be highly valued if it accounted for the major modifiers in a consistent way. For ex:

• Restoration skill
  • Alchemy skill
  • Previous contraction (what about resistance/immunity? ... unless it is obviously not a natural virus)
  • Time of year
  • Region
  • Race
  • etc.
Further, there should be some diseases that are not easily cured or diagnosed ... perhaps even deadly?

Great idea. This is a true realism mod that would be highly valued if it accounted for the major modifiers in a consistent way. For ex:

• Restoration skill
  • Alchemy skill
  • Previous contraction (what about resistance/immunity? ... unless it is obviously not a natural virus)
  • Time of year
  • Region
  • Race
  • etc.
Further, there should be some diseases that are not easily cured or diagnosed ... perhaps even deadly?

That sounds really good! However - RND mod already changes the diseases to be more thank just a nuisance - and a lot of people use it. Maybe it would be good to make Lite and Full version of the planned expansion of your mod, William? I.e. - Full with deadly diseases and Lite with other effects only. Or maybe somehow expand on RND disease mechanics so that the both mods complete each other?

I would be all over this, WI...I simply love the idea of how the PC could go about becoming more adept at diagnosing themselves as they truly improve their own innate skill in herbalism, alchemy, medicine, etc.

Regardless I still find this mod invaluable as Beth did a less than great job of giving us any useful information about diseases as it is. I do not feel the base mod breaks my immersion at all, but I do fully support the concept of making the "immersion" of this mods use more robust.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

STEP Extended Patch users DO NOT need to install this mod. For Version, select only Vanilla (unless you use Realistic Needs and Diseases), and for Official DLCs, select both Dawnguard and Dragonborn.

If I'm doing a full STEP Extended Install and I intend to use RND on top, Will the sTEP Extended Patch suffice, or do I need to Install this mod for compatibility?