Shoutbox

rootsrat

Question

Hi guys.

Did you think about implementing a shoutbox to the forum? I think it would speed up communication sometimes, and generally things like that tend to bind the community.

I can recommend a good SB plugin, I'm using it on my forum, that is also MyBB based.

The annoying thing about the chat (for me) is that it's not in-line with the forums. It would be a great feature if it was a little box that hovered in a corner somewhere (similar to facebook). Right now, it opens in a separate window so it's annoying to multitask on the forums with. Private chat would also be great for quick one-on-one help, discussion, Q&A, etc.

Shoutbox should be used for (...)bashing the admins behind their back

Mwahahahah!

The annoying thing about the chat (for me) is that it's not in-line with the forums. It would be a great feature if it was a little box that hovered in a corner somewhere (similar to facebook). Right now, it opens in a separate window so it's annoying to multitask on the forums with. Private chat would also be great for quick one-on-one help, discussion, Q&A, etc.

See few posts up.

This.

I would love to get more direct comms with the community. Unfortunately the chat function is not immediately obvious to new users plus I don't want to sit in an empty room waiting for people who may or may not come. Auto login and being able to open a chat with any logged in member would be nice.

If the chat was persistent (i.e. keep the previous 100-200 posts in the window) that'd be the best solution I think. That way there can be non-realtime informal discussion as well as realtime whenever enough people pop on. It might also get used a lot more if a few of us regulars made an effort to actually get on consistently. Even if we don't talk a lot it will make the number non-zero and perhaps attract others.

Seems to be some traction for this idea, in principle.  Personally, it doesn't appeal to me.  I prefer the more deliberate "correspondence pace" of the forums.  I like the idea of somewhat considered statements, rather than fast-paced chat, but maybe that's just my funny ways.  I'd be concerned that I'd be missing out on a lot that I'd otherwise be able to read when I have the time. TBH, the idea of a constantly scrolling chat box of information sitting in the corner is the last thing I'd want.

When I was suggesting it I was thinking mostly of informal chatter - things like that bind community together and allow people to know each other more. Maybe for some ad hoc help etc.

I don't think SB is a good idea for proper discussion, it's more of a social tool.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Seems to be some traction for this idea' date=' in principle.  Personally, it doesn't appeal to me.  I prefer the more deliberate "correspondence pace" of the forums.  I like the idea of somewhat considered statements, rather than fast-paced chat, but maybe that's just my funny ways.  I'd be concerned that I'd be missing out on a lot that I'd otherwise be able to read when I have the time. TBH, the idea of a constantly scrolling chat box of information sitting in the corner is the last thing I'd want.[/quote']

I am with Monty on this. Chats/shoutboxes are of little use in short or long terms IMO

When I was suggesting it I was thinking mostly of informal chatter - things like that bind community together and allow people to know each other more. Maybe for some ad hoc help etc.

I don't think SB is a good idea for proper discussion' date=' it's more of a social tool.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

This is true, but inevitably, valuable conversations will occur --and be lost within-- a chat.

Concerning this topic, I think it's fairly safe to say that we won't be implementing a shoutbox. However, I have found a better solution for chat that integrates better into the website overall.

While there is something to be said for conversations on the forum, chat services (in any form) still have value. For starters, you get the ability for instant help (so long as folks are on), an area for general chatter that usually wouldn't fill up the forum, as well as providing an avenue for us admins to login during a release and provide real-time support.

With these things in mind, it is encouraged that any useful discussions be transcribed into a forum post should they be useful to the community. In fact, the new chat system which will be put in place soon provides a means of saving chat conversations as well as e-mailing them. It also allows sending files to other users, which can be useful for real-time testing.