Armor and Clothing Extension (by kryptopyr/Gamwich)

TechAngel85

Mod updated on Nexus

• Version 1.4

• Assigned DefaultFootstepSet [FSTS:00012F16] to three boot Armor Addon records which had no Footstep Sound assigned.
    • Added an Armor and Clothing Extension - Spell Perk Item Distributor (SPID) Patch - Replaces quest aliases with SPID for distribution to named NPCs; leveled list edits unchanged; also updates MCM script to remove toggle options. Patch courtesy of kinok.

2 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

So what is the verdict on the recent changes? SPID version or not?

Unlike, let's say, SPID for Footprints or SPID for XMPSSE, for example, this one is nice to have but it's not going to make a big difference.

ACE only affects a few named NPCs (about 100). Without SPID there is an invisible quest and associated script that runs at the start of a new game to change their default outfit. The changes are then baked into the save file. This part only runs once at the start of a new game and shuts down, but remains dormant and available in case you toggle the changes in ACE's MCM, in which case it runs again (once each time).

SPID replaces the above by static changes that are no longer togglable (no more MCM, which arguably nobody probably ever uses, so not a big loss). It saves you a few milliseconds at the start of a new game. Big whoop.

SPID doesn't completely eliminate ACE's quest and script however, because ACE changes the outfit of certain NPCs dynamically and conditionally depending on their statuses. For example NCPs who become jarls during the civil war will have their outfit changed by ACE to reflect their new status.

SPID can't handle this kind of dynamic change. So even with SPID, ACE's quest and script remain and are still used.

So for me it's nice to have it, but I don't consider it a significant improvement over what ACE was doing without it. It's more a case of "SPID is cool tech so let's apply it to all the mods we can think of even if they don't really benefit from it, because I'm cool" by a user (Kinok) who is not officially maintaining ACE.

One benefit of SPID however is that end-users can tweak the distribution files more "easily" than patching plugins in xEdit or editing in CK, to resolve conflicts between mods that change the outfits of the same NPCs for example.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

SPID replaces the above by static changes that are no longer togglable (no more MCM, which arguably nobody probably ever uses, so not a big loss). It saves you a few milliseconds at the start of a new game. Big whoop.

But, I mean...MILLISECONDS! In this day and age milliseconds are important! I want everything NAO.

Coincidentally I (forgot I) asked on Kryptopyr's patch hub about perhaps changing from levelled lists to SPID. This is DrMonops reply on it:

Hi vachnic! SPID is an awesome mod and can definitely be used by mod authors to increase the compatibility of their mods. I think where it shines, particularly, is for distributing spells or perks which allow certain mods to function, or for distributing specific items; mods like SPID for Footprints or Maleficus' Macabre Mementos (SPID).

I think using SPID to assign Outfits and distribute weapons and armor in place of Leveled Lists is not the compatibility silver bullet that a lot of people believe it to be. As with conventional distribution, if you're only using a few SPID mods like this, you probably won't notice many issues. However, as you start to pile them on, you'll start wondering why a specific outfit isn't showing on a particular NPC (because there's another SPID .ini lower which is assigning a different Outfit) and noticing that some NPCs have a lot more weapons and loot when you kill them than they should. SPID also runs into the same challenge as scripted distribution, which is that the changes aren't transparent. When I'm patching multiple mods, or even just referring to other mods to ensure consistency across patches, being able to load them all at once in SSEEdit is a huge advantage over SPID or scripted distribution, where you'd have to open multiple .inis or script to see what's being assigned where. 

For those reasons, I don't think SPID will replace our use of Leveled List and Outfit edits. I can't speak for everyone on the team, but that's my personal take on it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...