Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE (by SomeRandomGuy83, TechAngel85, z929669)

TechAngel85

• 5 months later...

A major update (2.0) for EVT was just released.  The biggest change is that the options have been split out into multiple packages.

For the benefit of any end user that sees this message before the official STEP instructions have been updated, I reproduced the current STEP setup as follows:

Download the Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE main file (i.e. without a custom or lush option) & the Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE - Alternative Branch Textures optional file.

The main file was installed with the options:

1. Enhanced Vanilla Meshes
  2. Enhanced Tree Clutter (recommended)
  3. Billboards

The optional file was installed with the options:

1. 'No'
  2. SFO Branch Textures - Vanilla
Edited by federation25

I wanted to compare treepineforestbranchcomp.dds with the one from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34631

I use Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE - Custom Trees with the default option + enhanced clutter. I am not able to open treepineforestbranchcomp.dds. DDS-viewer crashes, irfanview gives an error message (Decode error). Gimp gives the following error message: Unsupported DXGI format (98).

The same happens with several other textures:

• pineforestsnow02_N.dds
  • srg_pine02_2_N.dds
  • srg_pine02_dead_n.dds
  • srg_pine02_n.dds
  • srg_pine04_alt_n.dds
  • srg_pinesnowL01_n.dds
  • srg_treepineforestbarkcomp2_N.dds
  • treepineforestbranchcomp.dds
  • treepineforestbranchcompsnow.dds
  • treepineforestbranchcompsnowl.dds

Is there a problem with these textures or is there another program that can open them?

I wanted to compare treepineforestbranchcomp.dds with the one from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34631

I use Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE - Custom Trees with the default option + enhanced clutter. I am not able to open treepineforestbranchcomp.dds. DDS-viewer crashes, irfanview gives an error message (Decode error). Gimp gives the following error message: Unsupported DXGI format (98).

The same happens with several other textures:

• pineforestsnow02_N.dds
  • srg_pine02_2_N.dds
  • srg_pine02_dead_n.dds
  • srg_pine02_n.dds
  • srg_pine04_alt_n.dds
  • srg_pinesnowL01_n.dds
  • srg_treepineforestbarkcomp2_N.dds
  • treepineforestbranchcomp.dds
  • treepineforestbranchcompsnow.dds
  • treepineforestbranchcompsnowl.dds

Is there a problem with these textures or is there another program that can open them?

They're all BC7 so you'll have to have something that supports BC7.

• 5 months later...
I have installed Lush Large Trees and then added Alternative Trees, but the last LOD does not work for the SFO snow trees. It still uses vanilla LOD.

Also i have tried older EVT version and still there are some SFO snow trees that don't use proper last LOD.

What's the problem here?

From the mod page description:

Semi-compatible Mods

• Skyrim Flora Overhaul - incompatible out of the box. Users can use the updated meshes for the Vurt's SnowyPines option, being sure to grab the billboards for them from SFO. Users may also hide/delete the trees from SFO and only use the grasses.

Last LOD? Do you mean LOD4/8/16/32?

You can use DynDOLOD to generate 3D trees from the full (stripped-down) models or any available billboards for Billboard2. If SFO has the billboards for those trees, you should be able to use DynDOLOD to gen the 2D versions for those.

Tech will be able to give you more specific advice for the SFO LOD, since he maintains that mod, but I would probably build the needed passthru models from that mod so that DynDOLOD would produce 3D trees. I would strip out the animation and other incompatible stuff from the base models and just use those if you know DynDOLOD pretty well. Otherwise, you will need to consult that doc for instructions.

I may or may not have included the 2D LODs for the SFO option. It's been too long. I was only recommending 3D Trees for the SFO Snowy Pines because they will not match the 2D LODs due to Vurt making bends and whatnot in the main trunk. One of them has a very large bend towards the top and the fad-in from 2D LOD is simply aweful.

Yes, the last LOD. Here you can see that they don't match, LODs in the distance: https://i.imgur.com/j0KeI11.png

Btw, i don't use SFO. I use "Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE - Alternative Trees" which include SFO snowy trees - this is optional file as you can se here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11008?tab=files&BH=0 

Yes, that is actually LOD4 or the closest LOD in the LOD lineup. The excerpt I quoted implies that the SFO pine LODs are not supported in EVT (IMO). You will probably need to make the billboards or passthru LOD meshes yourself in that case so that DynDOLOD can use them. Vurt may have some by now ... or maybe someone else created them for his mods, so those would work with EVT.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@TechAngel85 I reached out to somerandomguy, and he is happy to accommodate the idea of correcting any 3D LOD meshes that exist in some of the files AND stripping out all of the load-order specific pregenerated LOD from each file. I explained it all to him, and he gets it.

We can keep the current versions available for those that want to use them regardless of the potential issues, but each file will be repackaged and get a new version increment otherwise. If you want to make any other changes, let me know, and we can team up. The file sizes should be substantially reduced when finished.

Will keep you posted.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, z929669 said:

@TechAngel85 I reached out to somerandomguy, and he is happy to accommodate the idea of correcting any 3D LOD meshes that exist in some of the files AND stripping out all of the load-order specific pregenerated LOD from each file. I explained it all to him, and he gets it.

We can keep the current versions available for those that want to use them regardless of the potential issues, but each file will be repackaged and get a new version increment otherwise. If you want to make any other changes, let me know, and we can team up. The file sizes should be substantially reduced when finished.

Will keep you posted.

Sure, I'll just say if you want me to do anything, just let me know. I would like to keep the files separated out, like they are now, though. The mod is just too complex to toss it all into a FOMOD....been there done that, no not recommend with EVT. Also, you probably get the installation process, but it's setup up to install in the order of 1. 2. 3. (see file names). One of the main files (#1) must be installed. The others are optional and #2 can be skipped without issue. However if all files are used, to get the proper file overwrites, it must be 1. 2. 3.

Pretty easy for the users to install this way, and makes it easier for authors to maintain. There are just are ton of options to deal with... Btw, the included 2D Billboards are provided for convenience so those should stay. They should be from Indistinguishable Billboards...unless you're planning on redoing those too. IDK if DynDOLOD 3.0 will build 2D Billboards or not. I tried the manual way and it's a LOT of work to get it to look good. It was far easier in the end to just include Indistinguishable Billboards. :upside_down_smily:

I will retain the same FOMOD structure and method. There will be one fewer levels I think, so no 400. Same number of files and same base assets. Just new LOD models in some cases but not all.

The EVT billboards are completely unnecessary. TexGen will create standard and HD billboards that perfectly match each tree every time. HD billboards will have normals, so 4x textures per tree. standard will just be one billboard per tree. Handmade billboards cannot beat the TexGen versions but rather only can be approaching their equivalent.

• 1 month later...