Is there way to improve the Ship LODs?

kojak747

Question

8 answers to this question

Ships are not trees (typically no need for passthru). Just find the existing ship LOD model and use that as a base.

The filename of the LOD seems to be ShipLarge1a_LOD.nif.  So this model will be used for full models that have the filename ShipLarge1a.nif.

The full model from the screenshot uses ShipLargeDaintySload01.nif, its LOD models are shiplargedaintysload01_lod.nif and shiplargedaintysload01_lod03.nif (updated versions included in DynDOLOD Resources)

See DynDOLOD_Mod_Authors.html for the filename conventions to automatically match LOD models to full models.

I discussed ship LOD with someone before here https://forum.step-project.com/topic/13562-issue-with-replacement-model-shipwrecklargexx-lodnif, maybe there is some useful info.

Edited by sheson

Actually I still have the stripped full models of the ships https://mega.nz/#!pAI1nApZ!m90UmuA5H_6jFb2Lg7V01JVXJTe9NfvFHmqMzfUBMks from that discussion.

They are really high poly, since the remaining shapes are not decimated or otherwise optimized. If the game is not at its limits they can work fine.

They are just a bit better than using the full models, since the ships are "gutted". But there is still lots of room for optimizing them.

Edited by sheson

Just found your stuff in DynDOLOD resources, they are perfect and are not appearing in my game, hence why I'm attempting to improve them.  I'll work it out and make sure your models are coming through.

Thanks

edit: I'll check out those high poly LODS and see about optimizing them.

Edited by kojak747

Just found your stuff in DynDOLOD resources, they are perfect and are not appearing in my game, hence why I'm attempting to improve them.  I'll work it out and make sure your models are coming through.

Thanks

edit: I'll check out those high poly LODS and see about optimizing them.

By default the LOD models are matched to full model based on their filename. Unless you check "Use original LOD assignments", then it will prioritize the LOD models defined on the base record.

The LOD model from this screenshot will be used for full models ShipLarge01.nif

Edited by sheson

I managed to optimize them by approx 40% before holes started appearing in the mesh.  I added them to meshes/dyndolod/lod/ships and named them as shiplargedaintysload01_lod_0.nif for the high poly lod model in LOD4, then shiplargedaintysload01_lod_1.nif for LOD8 etc.  It's not working though, I'm doing something wrong, and if you have any idea that would be very helpful.

https://mega.nz/#!5sEwiaKA!wqxueIH8_MnFYWOFi1HZnaPDpe9Rt5HJIl1NGmWVu1I

Define what you mean by "not working"?

59721-1560712947-1434088406.jpeg

Check DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\DynDOLOD_TES5_staticlodfiles.txt

Search for shiplargedaintysload01=

After installing as is, running DynDOLOD, I get this: (LOD4;LOD8;LOD16)

meshes\dyndolod\lod\ships\shiplargedaintysload01_lod_0.nif;meshes\dyndolod\lod\ships\shiplargedaintysload01_lod_1.nif;meshes\dyndolod\lod\ships\shiplargedaintysload01_lod_2.nif

In the export file DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel.txt I then also see the desired LOD models for 0007B912 and 000B017E

However, it would be cleaner to just keep the existing paths of the old LOD models and overwrite them to avoid any confusion.

I reserve the meshes/DynDOLOD path for dynamic and special LOD models unique to DynDOLOD.

LOD models with the same filename in the DynDOLOD tree win. However you also have old LOD models in a vanilla subfolder that is also part of the DynDOLOD folder. I think in that case alphabetical / order wins.

Edited by sheson

Got it working, they look great, big improvement, thank you. It was an incompatible file, plus i removed any unused files. Do you have any plans to incorporate them into DynDOLOD? If not I'll host them (with permissions) unless you have other plans for them?

Also, I've made patches for Myrkvior green aspens (default) - I made a patch for RAT and a vanilla yellow patch, but I utilised the larger aspen meshes from EVT Aspen replacer.

Grabbed a couple of vids with Billboard2 reacting to cloudshadows.

Edited by kojak747