Closer Quivers and Longer Arrows (by EvilDeadAsh34)

stoppingby4now

@Will

The problem you could have is if people are going to set their install order and then install everything at once. The installer will not detect the files except official dlc which is already in the data folder. As long as the installer is for upgrading or installing one by one then it is fine and everything worked great for me last night, but I was upgrading so explosive bolts was already installed.

@WilliamImm

You are correct about the install order ... by bad. So this should not be an issue for STEP users if they follow the guide.

However, the installer IS buggy since there are several mods that are co-dependent with Closer Quivers, and many users will not have those co-dependencies installed beforehand.

Autodetection and autoselection based on DLC is one thing, but based on other community-provided mods is quite another. What if all installer scripts used these methods with co-dependent mods that won't always exist in the Data directory?

The wizard is partially broken in its current form, and it wouldn't be hard to change it to include those options.

Just sayin'.

@WilliamImm

You are correct about the install order ... by bad. So this should not be an issue for STEP users if they follow the guide.

However, the installer IS buggy since there are several mods that are co-dependent with Closer Quivers, and many users will not have those co-dependencies installed beforehand.

Autodetection and autoselection based on DLC is one thing, but based on other community-provided mods is quite another. What if all installer scripts used these methods with co-dependent mods that won't always exist in the Data directory?

The wizard is partially broken in its current form, and it wouldn't be hard to change it to include those options.

Just sayin'.

It would not be hard to fix the installer, all that needs to be done is adding in another section that will prompt the user to input if they are going to install EBV if the auto-detection returns false.

I assume it would be If datafileexists...  Else EndIf or something along those lines. The WB installer has a few different ways to do things.

I am going to say that the "autodetection based on community mods" is made in a similar manner to the wizard for the Better Cities mod for Oblivion, which does pretty much the same thing as I did. I do want to keep the autodetection intact for the community mods intact, so do not expect me to remove it. Also, it would be annoying for the installer to ask every few screens "Do you have ?", so that will not also happen. Even for Explosive Bolts Visualized.

What could happen is messages telling you which community mods that the wizard autodetected in the final screen. In fact, I could make a note that states for STEP users, Explosive Bolts Visualized needs to be fully installed. That could happen. I'm also planning to list the mods supported by Closer Quivers in a article, so that a list of compatible mods can be found.

I have both Dawnguard and Dragonborn ESMs installed and enabled but the Wizard didn't find either. It also didn't recognize EBV' date=' but that might depend on Dawnguard.[/quote']

Again, this didn't happen to me, because when I tested the installer, it detected both DLCs. The installer intentionally skips over installing anything relating to bolts if Dawnguard is not installed. The only thing I'd suggest is to try again and see if the DLCs are properly detected.

I downloaded the archive again and in game both dlcs are definitely active. Its still not detecting. Good thing it can be done manually, but you might want to instruct users to do it manually if it doesn't auto detect. You should also mention the need for EBV and others to be fully installed in the wizard and not just on the mod page here.

Whether the mods are active doesn't matter, the installer is just checking the folder for the files, so even if you have dawnguard in your data folder and don't have it active it will still try to install closer bolts.

I just retried the installer, so I'm unsure what the problem is. I don't use MO and maybe that virtual directory thing messes up the installer, total speculation from me though.

Mod Organizer should by default prioritise the NMM/Fomod installer (if there is one)' date=' at least from what I've seen when using it. I'm not sure what Farlo is having with the DLCs not being detected.[/quote']

I remain uncertain as to your rationale for insisting on an autoinstaller when the fomod behaves differently (as far as I understand ... I religiously do not use them). Just because Better Cities did it is even more reason that nobody else should do it (... plus that mod was commonly known to be intended to be installed last).

Again, what if everybody did this? Do you not agree that manual intervention would be required almost unanimously to ensure complete installation of all mods (thereby obviating the purpose of the installers).

As I said, do as you like, but your could easily present a check list for the user that asks him/her to please "tick boxes next to all mods that you intend to install" and include instructions in the installer that notify the users of prerequisites or codependencies.

Before, it was difficult to determine what to install and why, now if is difficult to determine what did not install and why :P

Just asking that you think of it not from a design perspective but from the user's perspective (assuming that this was created to help users ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

Ideally, I would like to make the installer handle mod autodetection similar to how Schwinni did it in his most recent installer: give them as options, but automatically select them when it's autodetected. But, that would not be practical for a BAIN wizard without creating lots of duplicate code.

I am still going to have autodetection in this installer, as I do not feel any pressing need for it to be removed. I have also tried to make it as user friendly as possible - I've linked to the home page for a list of compatible mods in the installer, and even said how to enable compatibility files for the mod manually. So, if something didn't get detected for some reason, you know how you can manually make the installer install the files.

Ideally, I would like to make the installer handle mod autodetection similar to how Schwinni did it in his most recent installer: give them as options, but automatically select them when it's autodetected. But, that would not be practical for a BAIN wizard without creating lots of duplicate code.

I am still going to have autodetection in this installer, as I do not feel any pressing need for it to be removed. I have also tried to make it as user friendly as possible - I've linked to the home page for a list of compatible mods in the installer, and even said how to enable compatibility files for the mod manually. So, if something didn't get detected for some reason, you know how you can manually make the installer install the files.

Not any pressing need, but an obvious benefit exists. It is a good installer that you wrote, but it nevertheless causes a different situation for WB versus non-WB users.

It should match the fomod, period.

Not any pressing need, but an obvious benefit exists. It is a good installer that you wrote, but it nevertheless causes a different situation for WB versus non-WB users.

It should match the fomod, period.

It can't match the fomod, period. I can't remove autodetection from the Bash installer (it feels extremely wasteful if I do so), and I can't make the autodetection match Schwinni's installer (unless I want a mess of copypasta code).