STEP 3.0 Development Progress - January 2019

TechAngel85

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottleneck is staffers, not $ (right now, anyway).

We only have Mator for CMS dev and his time on the project is limited. This is under Ruby on Rails, and I have little XP in RoR (as does Tech) or Angular js.

• Tech is focusing on the 3.0 guide and requirements for that (mostly finished, I think)
  • Mator is our CMS dev (long way to go yet, IMO)
  • z929669 server ops for dev/stage/prod as well as dev site theming (pretty much finished but for CMS theming, which I won't polish until the CMS structure is complete. Lots more server config to do once we get closer to going live though)

All of us will work some to port content, which is finally just starting now that Mator has a WYSIWYG editor working on the CMS

We have a Git and Trello for work, so any RoR/Angular experienced devs that want to help out Mator with the CMS requirements implementation can PM me.

@theblackman

Ditto to Tech, and $ for staffers would be on the order of hundreds or even thousands of dollars per task, rather than the $400-ish that we currently have in our coffers or the $25-$100-ish that we get in donations each month (if we are lucky) to keep the site up ;)

All the work we do is volunteer work. No one is paid. The money we collect all goes straight into web maintenance costs.

Hang on a minute. Z brought up $.  I merely stated the obvious.  I know it's all volunteer work.  Therein lies the problem: things take longer to get done.  Last year you were overwhelmed with donations when you put the call out.  So there's obviously some appetite in our community for the judicious application of resources to areas that are under-resourced.

I've even indicated this to you in the past but you weren't interested.

At the moment, your paradigm seems to be: it will get done when it's done.

Why not be more aspirational in your timelines?  That will change your paradigm from 'we are constrained for resources' to 'how can we leverage our resources and utilise the community to get things done faster'.

Could you release a text-only guide until the cms isn't ready? In the end the foundamental part is the mod list... as the old 90s: a plain, not formatted, web page with a beta version of the 3.0 guide

The mod lists are available on Mod Picker, for anyone who wants to try to install it. Just know that we're not providing support for it since it's not officially released.

You didn't make it easy to find. Cannot find it on your user or by searching for STEP there. I filter in mod lists, still just brought to STEP texture pack. Which has no link to the list. Cannot find it in the 21 mod lists that are shown. Went to "show all mod lists", checked there. Is not there. 

I wish I was overexaggerating, but this is genuinely infuriating. 

It's the top one in the recent mod list on the main page. You may need go to Setting, Account, and check "Allow adult content" to see it. Unfortunately it's tagged as Adult due to the inclusion of Better Males.

link removed due to potential spam/phishing

link removed due to potential spam/phishing

Archived