xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

3 hours ago, User77111 said:

Some lods are skinny when using Skyrim 3D Trees:

https://imgur.com/a/yfdLQyU

I did not have this issue when using xLODGen beta 68

Provide necessary information, for example: Which mod options and LOD resources are installed. What xLODGen options were used. Where the screenshot was taken. 

When installing the generated xLODGen output, make sure to always overwrite all other files, so that the tree LOD texture atlas and the tree LOD meshes are from the same generation for the current load order.

10 hours ago, sheson said:

Provide necessary information, for example: Which mod options and LOD resources are installed. What xLODGen options were used. Where the screenshot was taken. 

When installing the generated xLODGen output, make sure to always overwrite all other files, so that the tree LOD texture atlas and the tree LOD meshes are from the same generation for the current load order.

Skyrim 3D Trees with 3D LOD Resources installed. I generated object and tree LOD with "Generate trees as objects" selected. 

The LODs are overwriting everything.

Will try again with beta 72.

Edited by User77111

10 hours ago, User77111 said:

Tried with beta 72 and I still get the issue.

https://imgur.com/a/G0oPUAH

My settings:

https://imgur.com/a/DF2XBqr

Do you happen to have beta 68? I want to make sure that I am reporting an issue with xLODGen and not an issue with my modding.

I assume the screenshot shows Solstheim? 

Paste the SSELODGen_log.txt to pastebin.

Please post a https://modwat.ch/ of the load order.

Don't worry about reporting. I just need to be able to reproduce the setup so I can test.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to try xLODGen yesterday and see if I can get some better terrain lod textures than the terrain mod I had previously to use together with DynDOLOD 3.0 and grass billboards.  The results are fantastic, and despite my initial expectations it was very easy to generate, really no different to using DynDOLOD.  I also made a 1024x1024 noise texture that I want to share that gives slightly more detail https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/47057/.  I also tried 2048x2048 noise texture, but it looked too nice lol.  Once the cell rendered there was a decrease in quality and detail rather than the other way around.  I think 1024x1024 is a happy medium that gives slightly more detail to the 512 one included on the first page.  The overall brightness has also been ever so slightly increased.

I have a suggestion that I want to give purely from a new user perspective.

From what I could find, there are two really well done videos for using DynDOLOD by the awesome guy from GamerPoets, but none for using xLODGen.  Since most people using xLODGen will likely be familiar with DynDOLOD, is it possible to have the default output folder for xLODGen to be something like say "xLODGen_Output" the same way it is for TexGen or DynDOLOD?  This way it will be consistent with the other two programs and also allow people to manually install the files and be able to easily uninstall them later.  I run mine with -sse -o:"C:\Games\Tools\xLODGen\xLODGen_Output\" command line, which does the same thing, but why not have it the same as DynDOLOD and TexGen.

Thank you sheson for your amazing work.

Edit: In addition, I think it would be really nice if we can have xLODGen uploaded on the nexus preferably together with DynDOLOD for Skyrim SE.  I know they are completely different projects, doing different things, but all three work best together for SSE.

Edited by ikonomov

16 minutes ago, ikonomov said:

I decided to try xLODGen yesterday and see if I can get some better terrain lod textures than the terrain mod I had previously to use together with DynDOLOD 3.0 and grass billboards.  The results are fantastic, and despite my initial expectations it was very easy to generate, really no different to using DynDOLOD.  I also made a 1024x1024 noise texture that I want to share that gives slightly more detail https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/47057/.  I also tried 2048x2048 noise texture, but it looked too nice lol.  Once the cell rendered there was a decrease in quality and detail rather than the other way around.  I think 1024x1024 is a happy medium that gives slightly more detail to the 512 one included on the first page.  The overall brightness has also been ever so slightly increased.

I have a suggestion that I want to give purely from a new user perspective.

From what I could find, there are two really well done videos for using DynDOLOD by the awesome guy from GamerPoets, but none for using xLODGen.  Since most people using xLODGen will likely be familiar with DynDOLOD, is it possible to have the default output folder for xLODGen to be something like say "xLODGen_Output" the same way it is for TexGen or DynDOLOD?  This way it will be consistent with the other two programs and also allow people to manually install the files and be able to easily uninstall them later.  I run mine with -sse -o:"C:\Games\Tools\xLODGen\xLODGen_Output\" command line, which does the same thing, but why not have it the same as DynDOLOD and TexGen.

Thank you sheson for your amazing work.

I added a link to the noise texture mod to the first post.

xLODGen is a renamed xEdit. xEdit is an advanced multi purpose modding tool replacement for CK. It allows every freedom and responsibility to use it as anyone wants.

DynDOLOD is the advanced and easier version of xLODGen for object, tree LOD (and Occlusion) generation for Skyrim. It enforces the output path to protect users from themselves and their laziness to read or follow instructions. e.g. it makes the use of advanced modding tools easier.

The different versions of the same tool have different philosophies and goals. At some point in the future an easier terrain LOD generation might be part of the DynDOLOD version.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sheson said:

I added a link to the noise texture mod to the first post.

xLODGen is a renamed xEdit. xEdit is an advanced multi purpose modding tool replacement for CK. It allows every freedom and responsibility to use it as anyone wants.

DynDOLOD is the advanced and easier version of xLODGen for object, tree LOD (and Occlusion) generation for Skyrim. It enforces the output path to protect users from themselves and their laziness to read or follow instructions. e.g. it makes the use of advanced modding tools easier.

The different versions of the same tool have different philosophies and goals. At some point in the future an easier terrain LOD generation might be part of the DynDOLOD version.

Thank you for adding the link.  I am ashamed to admit how many hours I worked on that one texture file, trying probably more than 40 versions in-game.  It would be awesome if people find it useful.

Also thank you for the explanation about DynDOLOD and xLODGen.  I have been using SSEEdit for a long time now, which must originate from xEdit the same way as your programs do.  I think it would be a fantastic idea to combine terrain LOD generation into TexGen, the same way you added the tree billboard generation.  I must admit that I have been shying away from xLODGen to generate the terrain because of the introduction on the first page even thought I've done quite a bit of modding myself with SSEEdit.  While most people must be trying first, and then reading, I read the post quite a few number of times before deciding to try it lol.

Edited by ikonomov

If an object disappears as you get close to it, is that because of the occlusion data? I reran occlusion with the latest beta 75 and the palace of the kings in SE is disappearing as you approach it:

https://i.imgur.com/27hoxae.jpg

Nope =/ disabled occlusion and it's still happening. Maybe someone knows what could be going on still?

EDIT: found the culprit, it's the better dynamic snow patcher that's touching the static object of the Palace.

Edited by Illana

My LOD, and map, are gorgeous now. Wow... Thank you. I wish I had looked into xLODGen earlier.

The coastlines are accurate. I can see islands I couldn't see before. There's no water z-fighting (Probably thanks to the optimize unseen setting being at the newbie-recommended 550 instead of on?). And of course the LOD is better everywhere else too, but the coastlines make the biggest difference to me.

Just... thank you. I'm in awe. The thread is probably mostly filled with support questions... I'm leaving an appreciation comment for a change.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

@sheson, quick question...

I've gone through Docs and this forum. I've only seen Optimize Unseen being mention set to numbers on LOD32. Do the number settings work on LOD8 & LOD16 too, or just the map?

Each setting that can be set differently for each of the LOD levels is applied to that LOD level accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably expected behavior, but in the shallow waters north of Morthal I noticed some z-fighting with fairly large areas flickering.  It is only happening at a distance, so it must be either in LOD8 or LOD16.  Having the Optimize Unseen to On and Off results in the same behavior from what I could see, but with 550 it disappeared.  I have uLargeRefLODGridSize=11 (Ultra) and with 550 if there is some shifting going on when I get closer into LOD4 (Optimize Unseen Off) it is too far for me to see it.  So for some people 550 might be the preferred setting to use for LOD8 and LOD16 as well as the LOD32 map meshes.

Edited by ikonomov