xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

1 hour ago, MAYBEARD said:

Yup yup. It's on WastelandNV and the co-ords are X- 53893.09  Y- 76238.75

The one I'm using isn't but it happens with all scoped weapons/binoculars.

This is with beta 93?

Any mods that change zoom? Default INI settings? FOV?

I have no such problems with the binoculars.

Edit: Wait, isn't that the vanilla bug where LOD water is disabled if you keep looking slightly upwards? Happens with vanilla LOD also, it just looks a bit different due to the skirts (the side walls that terrain LOD meshes have)

55 minutes ago, sheson said:

This is with beta 93?

Any mods that change zoom? Default INI settings? FOV?

I have no such problems with the binoculars.

Edit: Wait, isn't that the vanilla bug where LOD water is disabled if you keep looking slightly upwards? Happens with vanilla LOD also, it just looks a bit different due to the skirts (the side walls that terrain LOD meshes have)

Ahhh yes what you described is correct, looking slightly up. I just didn't realise it happens with vanilla too cause it looked different. I guess there's no way to minimise this? Good thing there isn't much bodies of water around. :D

23 minutes ago, MAYBEARD said:

Ahhh yes what you described is correct, looking slightly up. I just didn't realise it happens with vanilla too cause it looked different. I guess there's no way to minimise this? Good thing there isn't much bodies of water around. :D

This came up before but I do not remember if there was a mod/DLL/shader thing  that can fix that. 

Okay I might have found a way to minimise it by a ton by using FNV Reloaded v1.3. Disabled all settings except the Water shaders and it doesn't happen most of the time except for certain angles. I'm not sure if it's recommended to use it but the game seemed to run just fine for now. Water looks a heck of a lot better too.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose that it would be possible to change xLodGen to write output by default into <installation path>\xLodGen Output, similar to what DynDOLOD currently does?

I was surprised to find that, by default, it writes into the game path; I had expected similar behaviour to the other tools that are under active development.

Happily since I use MO2, fixing things shouldn't be terribly difficult, now that I've read the relevant section of the fine manual, and output isn't being written into the game directory.

10 hours ago, mrudat said:

I don't suppose that it would be possible to change xLodGen to write output by default into <installation path>\xLodGen Output, similar to what DynDOLOD currently does?

I was surprised to find that, by default, it writes into the game path; I had expected similar behaviour to the other tools that are under active development.

Happily since I use MO2, fixing things shouldn't be terribly difficult, now that I've read the relevant section of the fine manual, and output isn't being written into the game directory.

xLODGen is a tool mode of xEdit to replace CK LOD generation. CK/xEdit loading/saving/creating files to the data folder is the standard and explained and known for decades.
https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/13451-xlodgen-terrain-lod-beta-93-for-fnv-fo3-fo4-fo4vr-tes5-sse-tes5vr-enderal-enderalse/?do=findComment&comment=245835

I was wondering how the different formats differ from each other (BC7 Max etc.). Is there any document i could have a look at? Oc i understand the difference between BC7 Max and BC7 Quick but i am unsure what these do and if they effect how they affect the ingame models. If there isn't anything i could look at may someone tell me what to choose for simple high quality lods for fallout 4 :p?

Thanks a bunch 

1 hour ago, Denix said:

I was wondering how the different formats differ from each other (BC7 Max etc.). Is there any document i could have a look at? Oc i understand the difference between BC7 Max and BC7 Quick but i am unsure what these do and if they effect how they affect the ingame models. If there isn't anything i could look at may someone tell me what to choose for simple high quality lods for fallout 4 :p?

Thanks a bunch 

I moved the post to the xLODGen terrain LOD beta thread.

The defaults settings are fine - in particular for the object LOD - unless you have a specific need to change them. BC7 Quick and BC7 Max are -bc q and -bc x options of the TexConv command line tool

You can google the texture compression formats to learn about their technical differences. You can also search this thread to find earlier answers.

You are not really going to see visual difference in the game between BC7 Quick and Max. But you will certainly notice longer generation times.

38 minutes ago, sheson said:

The defaults settings are fine - in particular for the object LOD - unless you have a specific need to change them.

unfortunetly i changed the settings is there a way to get the defaults back i tried removing all files and putting in fresh ones but no luck :(

On 5/21/2022 at 6:19 PM, sheson said:

Not enough information provided to answer question.

What information do you need?

Im using vortex, skyrim ae last patch.

Should i grab from log all lines with "Finished LOD level " and remove files by this list?

11 hours ago, had said:

What information do you need?

Im using vortex, skyrim ae last patch.

Should i grab from log all lines with "Finished LOD level " and remove files by this list?

Lets assume you have generated output files into the data folder. Lets assume there were mods deployed that contained loose LOD files.
Any existing loose LOD file in the data folder has been replaced. Since they are symlinks to a file mod folder, that means the actual file in the mod folder has been replaced.
The only exception are terrain LOD textures, their generation is skipped if the texture already exists in the output folder.

So, while removing new files seems easy, you may need to reinstall any mod from its download archive that has loose LOD files because they were replaced.