sheson

xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 85 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

If anyone encounters an error like

Error creating textures for quad [X,Y] One or more errors occurred

delete the mentioned texture file (and its normal *_n.dds/*_msn.dds sibling). Restart xLODGen turn off meshes and then generate textures with the same settings again. xLODGen will skip already existing files if possible and just generate the ones it has to do in order to create the LOD levels that include the missing texture files from the output path.

If the error seems reproducible, replace xLODGen.exe and xLODGenx64.exe with this slower version and see if the error message is more detailed. If the error is reproducable, test if turning off mipmaps, steepnees, baking normal-maps clears it up.

Edited by sheson
  • Upvote 1

:no: Hell, I only just started trying out the plugin resources for this FO4LODGen, and now there is another evolution of the project  :unworthy:

Just to clarify, I am guessing those plugin resources at the above link will not be necessary here, for FO4 ? (Just started a new game so losing those would not be a problem, I can easily start again after their removal if necessary).

And for those of us using DynDOLOD 2.36 beta 7, we would use this new SSELODGen beta 2 prior to DynDOLOD ?

This is an update for xLODgen.exe, including FO4LODGen.exe from the other thread. So all instructions, resources etc. for object LOD (and tree LOD if game has it) still apply.

If you want to update an existing FO4LODGen installation for example, just copy all files and overwrite anything older, then rename xLODGen.exe and xLODGenx64.exe to FO4LODGen.exe and FO4LODGenx64.exe.

Fallout 4 Commonwealth data seemed to match the required areas in order to generate terrain LOD meshes and textures without gaps. It is OK if terrain data is cut from the master files, as long as the existing cells cover the stepping of the highest LOD levels (In case of Skryim vanilla terrain LOD for Tamriel was generated from -96,-96 to 96,96, but data in the master file only exists for -57,-43 to 61,51. In order to have no gabs, I restored data to nearest multiple of 32, e.g -64,-64 to 64,64. The terrain LOD past that area will always use vanilla files.)

There is probably no use to generate terrain LOD for SanctuaryHillsWorld unless your name is Ryan Salvatore and you are using CK64 for Fallout 4.

You can generate terrain LOD at any time independently of object and tree LOD, they have no connection to each whatsoever.

Just make sure to not check the object and tree LOD generation in xLODGen if you use DynDOLOD.

Edited by sheson
  • Upvote 2

My first run, enabled Terrain, enabled baking normals, but left all settings at defaults for the first run through ..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8060oc4alynosxl/alt3rn1ty%201st%20run%20FO4Edit_log.7z?dl=0

No errors, I was using all of the resources plugins from the other FO4Edit topic

Active Mod Files:

00  Fallout4.esm
01  DLCRobot.esm
02  DLCworkshop01.esm
03  DLCCoast.esm
04  DLCWorkshop02.esm
05  DLCWorkshop03.esm
06  DLCNukaWorld.esm
07  Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp  [Version 2.0.3]
08  FlaconOil HD ReTexture_Performance Pack_Part_1.esp
09  FlaconOil HD ReTexture_Performance Pack_Part_2.esp
0A  FAR.esp
0B  FO4LODGen.esp
0C  FO4LODGen-DLCCoast.esp
0D  FO4LODGen-HighTrees.esp
0E  FO4LODGen-DLCCoast-WindTurbines.esp
0F  FO4LODGen-DLCNukaWorld.esp
10  FO4LODGen-DLCWorkshop03.esp
11  FO4LODGen-FullModelLOD.esp
12  CBBE.esp
13  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Its looking good Sheson :)

Doing a run with Protect Cell borders on next, I think your choice of defaults for all of the settings is a good setup.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

A note for Fallout 3/TTW modders.

Dirt02 and Asphalt01 were completely deleted from the game, so they show up as NULL landscape textures if you turn simple records off in xEdit. Today it was discovered that burntground01 still has it's static record but the texture itself is missing. The GECK replaces these with the default texture which is dirt01, however when you delete a texture from a quad it will not remove it entirely and make a NULL entry instead.

Edited by RoyBatty

For some reason I can only edit my post once to correct errors... it's DirtWasteland01 for default texture not Dirt01

Dirt02 and Asphalt01 were completely deleted from the game, so they show up as NULL landscape textures if you turn simple records off in xEdit. Today it was discovered that burntground01 still has it's static record but the texture itself is missing. The GECK replaces these with the default texture which is dirt01, however when you delete a texture from a quad it will not remove it entirely and make a NULL entry instead.

xLODGen beta 4 will still print a message about the missing texture, but instead of ignoring the layer, use the default texture.

Think I found a small hiccup

I have extracted xLODGen into its own folder away from games etc as suggested, and then my personal take from there was to right click on xLODGen.exe, and choose Send to Desktop to create an Icon, giving it the switches in icon properties for the appropriate game mode and output folder desired .. Then do the same again for another game. So both FO4 and SSE have their own FO4LODGen and SSELODGen icons on the desktop.

The first run I did produced the log I uploaded, which was named LODGen_Log.txt

Subsequent runs have given new logs for FO4 and SSE ..

.. But they are named with FO4Edit_log.txt and SSEEdit_log.txt respectively.

Should they be named FO4LODGen_log.txt and SSELODGen_Log.txt instead ?

y5uDvqE.png

Edit : Grabbing beta 4

Edited by alt3rn1ty

Think I found a small hiccup

I have extracted xLODGen into its own folder away from games etc as suggested, and then my personal take from there was to right click on xLODGen.exe, and choose Send to Desktop to create an Icon, giving it the switches in icon properties for the appropriate game mode and output folder desired .. Then do the same again for another game. So both FO4 and SSE have their own FO4LODGen and SSELODGen icons on the desktop.

The first run I did produced the log I uploaded, which was named LODGen_Log.txt

Subsequent runs have given new logs for FO4 and SSE ..

.. But they are named with FO4Edit_log.txt and SSEEdit_log.txt respectively.

Should they be named FO4LODGen_log.txt and SSELODGen_Log.txt instead ?

y5uDvqE.png

Edit : Grabbing beta 4

The log file name is hardcoded like this into xEdit and xLODGen is just a renamed xEdit (instead of using -lodgen command line parameter). There maybe a reason the tool mode is not used for the log filename. That is a question for Zilav.

• Upvote 1

Thanks... So this is an addition to FNVLODgen? Does this mod replace https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/63139?

Great work sheson as usual. Always moving this community forward.

Thanks... So this is an addition to FNVLODgen? Does this mod replace https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/63139?

Great work sheson as usual. Always moving this community forward.

This is a beta of a never version of FNVLODGen (and the other listed games) and eventually this update will make it to the official Nexus pages of FNVLODGen (and the others).

Instead of using pre-made LOD mods, you can use this to create (hi-res) terrain meshes/textures for the current load order yourself.

xLODGen is generally easier to use and much quicker than GECK/CK/Oscape and can produce much, (even way too much) higher quality results.

Edited by sheson

Just got to say that Protect Cell Borders is a godsend, for Skyrim SE I have been using Skyland textures, Simply Bigger Trees, plus Verdant Grass with the latter fading just before the distant grass noise texture kicks in. Unfortunately those occasional land miss matches were the only fly in the ointment we couldn't do anything about before so kind of got used to turning a blind eye to them ..

.. NO MORE! :D

Facing South from Whiterun you can usually see a couple of them, not anymore

PkdUMx9.jpg

Edit : No errors for SSE.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

Just got to say that Protect Cell Borders is a godsend, for Skyrim SE I have been using Skyland textures, Simply Bigger Trees, plus Verdant Grass with the latter fading just before the distant grass noise texture kicks in. Unfortunately those occasional land miss matches were the only fly in the ointment we couldn't do anything about before so kind of got used to turning a blind eye to them ..

.. NO MORE! :D

Facing South from Whiterun you can usually see a couple of them, not anymore

PkdUMx9.jpg

The sad part is, that this "problem" still exists in Fallout 4 and its CK, too.