xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

26 minutes ago, sheson said:

Any chance you could make a copy of the load order to a different PC or Notebook to see if it behaves differently?

I don't have a spare PC running Windows at this time.

Even in safe mode with minimal startup, I get the same behavior and event (no bug report unless there is an issue reported in the xLODGen64 window without it exiting to desktop):

Faulting application name: xLODGenx64.exe, version: 4.1.3.1, time stamp: 0x613e398a
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1151, time stamp: 0x891df6d3
Exception code: 0x0eedfade
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034ed9
Faulting process id: 0xdb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7a809834ece16
Faulting application path: C:\Modding\Tools\xLODGen\xLODGenx64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 85846250-180d-4139-a9c2-65187cf99e02
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

So I am assuming that this is a hardware/firmware issue with OS and/or xLODGen64. Still running from scratch with the latest version you posted to see if I can get a bug report.

well here i am again..

1. i just about knew i need re-run texgen and dyndolod after i change tree and grass mod or it has a large update (I'm really too lazy to re-run the program for a small fix and change of a grass mod and wait a hour), but what exactly object talking about? i assume not the texture mod?

2. when do i need re-run xlodgen? after what kind of mod i changed?

3. and use new dyndolod update Occlusion.esp for every dyndolod re-run is necessary? like if i just re-run dyndolod for tree mod update?

19 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

@z929669 I'd wipe out the xLODGen folder, redownload, and reinstall. Never seen this issue, and your modlist should be virtually the same as mine for STEP 2.0. Just regenned yesterday and no issues.

I've done that before, but just did it again. Curiously, I still have my same xLODGen config, so it doesn't appear that any settings are saved in the install directory but rather in the registry or profile somewhere.

I wonder if I need to wipe out any config files located elsewhere (?) or registry settings?

1 hour ago, reeee said:

well here i am again..

1. i just about knew i need re-run texgen and dyndolod after i change tree and grass mod or it has a large update (I'm really too lazy to re-run the program for a small fix and change of a grass mod and wait a hour), but what exactly object talking about? i assume not the texture mod?

2. when do i need re-run xlodgen? after what kind of mod i changed?

3. and use new dyndolod update Occlusion.esp for every dyndolod re-run is necessary? like if i just re-run dyndolod for tree mod update?

LOD only looks and works correctly for the load order it was generated for. Update it if you notice visual issues.

There is nothing new about occlusion generation xLODGen/DynDOLOD. Only that DynDOLOD can now also generate the dedicated file to save the the extra step of starting xLODGen to generate it.

4 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

@z929669 I'd try wiping the following file: %LocalAppData%\Skyrim Special Edition\Plugins.sseviewsettings

That's where you SSEEdit settings appear to be stored.

Good find. This didn't work unfortunately.

But fortunately, I did get a clean run of ALL worldspaces just prior to disabling this. That hasn't happened since v7x or whatever preceded the version where this began for me a few months ago.

@sheson I suspect this bug report has nothing to do with my continued issues with crashing, but maybe it will be helpful:

[04:46] c:\modding\tools\xlodgen\xlodgen_output\textures\terrain\tamriel\tamriel.16.-32.32_n.dds
[04:49] Error creating textures for level 4 quad [-8,32] Assertion failure (C:\Delphi\Projects\xEdit\Core\wbImplementation.pas, line 17347)
[04:53] Error creating textures for level 8 quad [-8,32] Error creating textures for level 4 quad [-8,32] Assertion failure (C:\Delphi\Projects\xEdit\Core\wbImplementation.pas, line 17347)
[04:57] Error creating textures for level 16 quad [-16,32] Error creating textures for level 8 quad [-8,32] Error creating textures for level 4 quad [-8,32] Assertion failure (C:\Delphi\Projects\xEdit\Core\wbImplementation.pas, line 17347)
Error creating textures for level 16 quad [-16,32] Error creating textures for level 8 quad [-8,32] Error creating textures for level 4 quad [-8,32] Assertion failure (C:\Delphi\Projects\xEdit\Core\wbImplementation.pas, line 17347)

bugreport.txt

EDIT: Perhaps it is useful to keep in mind that I have no such issues with xEdit or DynDOLODa41, and I believe they can rule out certain potential issues with xLODGen

6 hours ago, z929669 said:

Good find. This didn't work unfortunately.

But fortunately, I did get a clean run of ALL worldspaces just prior to disabling this. That hasn't happened since v7x or whatever preceded the version where this began for me a few months ago.

@sheson I suspect this bug report has nothing to do with my continued issues with crashing, but maybe it will be helpful:

[04:46] c:\modding\tools\xlodgen\xlodgen_output\textures\terrain\tamriel\tamriel.16.-32.32_n.dds
[04:49] Error creating textures for level 4 quad [-8,32] Assertion failure (C:\Delphi\Projects\xEdit\Core\wbImplementation.pas, line 17347)
[04:53] Error creating textures for level 8 quad [-8,32] Error creating textures for level 4 quad [-8,32] Assertion failure (C:\Delphi\Projects\xEdit\Core\wbImplementation.pas, line 17347)
[04:57] Error creating textures for level 16 quad [-16,32] Error creating textures for level 8 quad [-8,32] Error creating textures for level 4 quad [-8,32] Assertion failure (C:\Delphi\Projects\xEdit\Core\wbImplementation.pas, line 17347)
Error creating textures for level 16 quad [-16,32] Error creating textures for level 8 quad [-8,32] Error creating textures for level 4 quad [-8,32] Assertion failure (C:\Delphi\Projects\xEdit\Core\wbImplementation.pas, line 17347)

bugreport.txt 284.29 kB · 0 downloads

EDIT: Perhaps it is useful to keep in mind that I have no such issues with xEdit or DynDOLODa41, and I believe they can rule out certain potential issues with xLODGen

Check the 16 cells -8, 32 to -5, 35  and their LAND records if they have overwrites from plugins or anything unusual. The layers will also link to LTEX landscape texture record. Check those as well.

xEdit/DynDOLOD do not generate terrain LOD textures and do not access the LAND record terrain layers in any way.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a bit overwhelmed. I have tried, truly, to understand the options and recommendations in this topic but I have reached something of an impasse.

I think these settings reflect the optimum settings for the latest version of xLodgen (I'm using it for Skyrim SE) but it is difficult to tell whether these are for this version or are from an earlier guide.

I am not unhappy with these settings, the LODs look good in game -- but could they be better? My rig is quite capable though I don't use a 4k monitor.

The settings in the attached image were drawn from "xLODGen Terrain Settings Compare" in this forum but, again my apologies, I can't tell what version of the guide (1, or 2, or ?) to which the topic refers.

I would rather be able to RTFM and figure out optimum settings but I am quite afraid I am out of my depth here and instead will beg for help.

If one of you kind souls would look these settings over and make recommendations I will be eternally grateful (my second- and third-born are available).

xlodgen_optimum.png

Edited by Mephitic

2 hours ago, Mephitic said:

I am a bit overwhelmed. I have tried, truly, to understand the options and recommendations in this topic but I have reached something of an impasse.

I think these settings reflect the optimum settings for the latest version of xLodgen (I'm using it for Skyrim SE) but it is difficult to tell whether these are for this version or are from an earlier guide.

I am not unhappy with these settings, the LODs look good in game -- but could they be better? My rig is quite capable though I don't use a 4k monitor.

The settings in the attached image were drawn from "xLODGen Terrain Settings Compare" in this forum but, again my apologies, I can't tell what version of the guide (1, or 2, or ?) to which the topic refers.

I would rather be able to RTFM and figure out optimum settings but I am quite afraid I am out of my depth here and instead will beg for help.

If one of you kind souls would look these settings over and make recommendations I will be eternally grateful (my second- and third-born are available).

xlodgen_optimum.png

This is the xLODGen terrain LOD beta thread. It does not belong to any guide or particular game. Whatever questions you have about specific settings for a guide found outside the xLODGen/DynDOLOD forum you need to ask those authors/forums.

The "best" settings for a worldspace of a load order and setup depend entirely on personal preference between quality and resource usage.

In order to find the "best" personal results, compare different settings.

For terrain LOD, read the explanations of the first post and the Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt included in the download. Also hover the mouse pointer over an option for a hint.

Then ask specific question what a setting does in case something needs more explanations.

With all due respect that was spectacularly unhelpful. The xLODGen terrain settings I included did indeed come from this very forum. If I could interpret the settings and understand their effects, I wouldn't need to ask. I did ask because these settings were presented by z929669 as optimum settings and I wanted clarification because it is quite unclear whether they are applicable to the latest version of xLODGen.

1 hour ago, Mephitic said:

With all due respect that was spectacularly unhelpful. The xLODGen terrain settings I included did indeed come from this very forum. If I could interpret the settings and understand their effects, I wouldn't need to ask. I did ask because these settings were presented by z929669 as optimum settings and I wanted clarification because it is quite unclear whether they are applicable to the latest version of xLODGen.

Maybe you are confusing this xLODGen terrain LOD beta thread with other sections of the STEP website or forum?

xEdit and its tool mode xLODGen is a multi-game CK replacement tool to edit plugins and/or generate LOD.

From the first post: "I am only able to give generic guidelines and hints to send you off to find and test for yourself and share your results. My main interested is that generations works correctly and without problems for now."

This thread is about the tool itself. You wouldn't ask the developers/help of Word how to write a novel. You'd query the help/developers how to change a font or if there is a problem doing so. I might have suggestions for which font to use, but in the end I am not creating/testing modding guides for any of the supported games.

To find the "best" settings for your setup and preference you have to compare yourself. There is no single simple answer that applies to every load order, setup and everyone. I can help explain what the settings do, but for that you need to ask specific questions.

You probably want to read/post here: https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/15184-xlodgen-terrain-settings-compare

8 hours ago, Mephitic said:

xlodgen_optimum.png

Those settings are out of date, and we have learned much more from our continued use of the tools and from sheson's feedback.

Can you point to the forum post so that I can modify for posterity?

In the meantime, these settings are much more up to date, although it's still a WIP. Terrain LOD will never look 'great'. It's just a background for the landscape really. A 'good' result is when you don't notice anything 'bad' in the distance with respect to terrain (no flickering textures, LOD terrain color matches full terrain color, no holes or other artifacts, etc.). I am happy with my terrain LOD when it is not obvious to me in game.

EDIT: If you are NOT using Cathedral Landscapes, then the gamma setting in those I linked above should probably be 1.00 or closer to that at least. CL requires a slight increase in terrain brightness, since they package specific terrain LOD textures that only are activated during terrain LODGen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue to @z929669 as above, where my SSELODGen just stops whatever it's doing at a seemingly random point. It goes to 0 % CPU usage, and eventually task manager just considers it suspended, resuming the process doesn't get LODGen going again either. Particularly Tamriel and Sovngarde seem to be problem spots, as smaller vanilla areas like Japhet's Folly and Markarth seem to work fine, unfortunately it seems to stop in a different place each time so I don't think it's a specific cell causing a problem.

So far I've tried:

• Clean reinstalling LODGen
  • Running outside of ModOrganizer only on vanilla files (still stopped working)
  • Running with nothing else in the background
  • Turning down settings according to the "first time" description on the download post (I was initially using settings from The Phoenix Flavour guide)
  • Turning off antivirus and security
  • Moving output folder to my NVMe drive (original location was on a HDD, everything related to mods and games is outside of UAC folders)
  • Renaming executable to SSELODGen (removing x64)

Unfortunately, because the process never "crashes", I don't have a bug report, though LODGen_log always ends like:
Log ended at time
Code: 0

With time being whenever it stopped running, whether it ran for 17 minutes before suspending or for half a minute.

CPU usage sometimes gets high above 70% but never stays that way for more than a second. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600, and I have 16GB of RAM, so I don't think it's due to a lack of processing power.

I've seen a few posts with similar issues to mine, but none of the given solutions have helped me yet.