xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

Can you make this optional?

ok, another question: lods generated only for 4 and 8 cells size. it's pretty close. Is it possible to somehow increase the distance for lods? Maybe you can cross objects trees lods and standard trees lods?

Edited by Rapunzel

5 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

ok, another question: lods generated only for 4 and 8 cells size. it's pretty close. Is it possible to somehow increase the distance for lods? Maybe you can cross objects trees lods and standard trees lods?

Typically object LOD has 3 LOD Levels 4, 8, and 16.
LOD distances are controlled by INI settings and do not affect object LOD generation, obviously.
If you do not want billboard tree LOD in object LOD level 4 that can be achieved with DynDOLOD and its mesh rules, setting empty/None for the first LOD level when generating ultra tree LOD.

Not sure though, why anyone would want LOD to look and work worse instead of better.

Can you make this optional?

about random rotation.

If you do not want billboard tree LOD in object LOD level 4

i say: "lods generated only for 4 and 8 cells size. it's pretty close." bearing in mind that this is not enough. We talking only about TREES lods and tress object lods.

Edited by Rapunzel

19 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

i say: "lods generated only for 4 and 8 cells size. it's pretty close." bearing in mind that this is not enough. We talking only about TREES lods and tress object lods.

There is tree LOD. It uses a *.lst, *.btt and a texture atlas with a fixed name per world space.

There is object LOD. It uses *.bto (which are NIF) and the textures as defined in the *.bto.
When trees are done in object LOD, they are done as 3D shapes in the *.bto (NIF) just like all the other object LOD. There is no distinction anymore what the shapes depict. It is all just vertices and triangles, could be part of a rock, a building or a tree.

47 minutes ago, sheson said:

Everybody wants object LOD to closely match the full model, its position and orientation for best match and transition.

but i want randomly for flat trees object lods. Can you make it optional randomly?

Edited by Rapunzel

1 minute ago, Rapunzel said:

but i want randomly. Can you make it optional randomly?

I can do a many things, but adding nonsensical features that nobody needs is not really on my list of things to do.

11 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

but i want randomly. Can you make it optional randomly?

If this were done, then as a tree comes into full from LOD, it would change its rotation, which would be undesirable (rotation of LOD != rotation of full). I believe he is saying that if you want rotation to vary, you need to edit the references likewise in the plugin. For some reason, the plugin creator must have copied the same rotation for all like-tree references.

Just now, sheson said:

I can do a many things, but adding nonsensical features that nobody needs is not really on my list of things to do.

let's start from the very beginning:

1) use flat billboards for trees lods as object lods we have repetition of silhouettes:

https://imageban.ru/show/2021/06/07/a08f1ac830ad5f559f80b5c3bfc2bb21/jpg

2) standard generator behavior when generating trees lods - randomly, to exclude repetition of identical silhouettes turned to the player by one side.

4 minutes ago, z929669 said:

For some reason, the plugin creator must have copied the same rotation for all like-tree references.

i provided above game screenshot of usual Skyrim. 

8 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

let's start from the very beginning:

1) use flat billboards for trees lods as object lods we have repetition of silhouettes:

https://imageban.ru/show/2021/06/07/a08f1ac830ad5f559f80b5c3bfc2bb21/jpg

2) standard generator behavior when generating trees lods - randomly, to exclude repetition of identical silhouettes turned to the player by one side.

i provided above game screenshot of usual Skyrim. 

Generating trees in object LOD is done to leave behind the limitation and quirks of tree LOD.

One limitation and quirk of tree LOD is that it does not allow rotation so that all LOD trees are always straight up-right.

Object LOD uses 3D LOD models. They can have rotation on all 3 axis. Object LOD *needs* to have the same rotation as the full model for best transitions. Nobody expects a rock or farmhouse to be randomly rotated.

If you do not like the rotation of full models and consequently of their object LOD models, change the rotation of the references you do not like.

• 2 weeks later...

No matter what settings I use it seems xLODGen crashes when I'm using the " SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm" plugin. When I don't use the plugin I am able to see the "LOD Generation Complete" message displayed at the bottom with no crash. Anyone know a fix for this?

53 minutes ago, UwUSancho said:

No matter what settings I use it seems xLODGen crashes when I'm using the " SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm" plugin. When I don't use the plugin I am able to see the "LOD Generation Complete" message displayed at the bottom with no crash. Anyone know a fix for this?

Post the log and bugreport if it exists if you require help determining the cause of the problem.

• 3 weeks later...